• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - "I'm The Mario!"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:45 am Reply with quote
Oof, yeah the GameFAQs sale does not inspire confidence. I've heard from wikia editors/mods of Fandom deleting wikis wholesale and merging them with other wikis with absolutely no prior notice to moderators of what was being done, leading to enormous losses of information and mass confusion.

I still have some old JRPG guides I referenced from GameFAQs downloaded, and this news is making me wish I had downloaded even more guides than I already have. I hope someone somewhere has this site backed up.

Quote:
I've always argued that gacha games should instead offer characters for sale on an individual basis

Lord of Heroes actually started out doing this (with a few "free" heroes that can be bought with in-game non-premium currency). However, apparently this was unprofitable enough for them (and no wonder, since each premium hero cost about $40, so I have no idea who was shelling out that kind of money) that they recently implemented a (limited time!) gacha system with incredibly difficult to get in-game currency.

It's a shame because LoH has genuinely great story-writing, but this new gacha system is really testing my patience with this game.

Honestly, probably the "best" gacha system I've seen so far is King's Raid, where you can collect all the heroes (and I certainly did!) just by buying them with in-game currency, while the gacha system is exclusively for weapons -- and they were quite generous with rolls for those too. A shame that the game is all but dead now on account of mismanagement, though. It had a good run.

As for Bravely Default... Has it really been ten years already? Oh gosh, I really need to get around to playing this game.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

That change from gatcha to buying characters sure was a monkey's paw wish, huh?
I agree that gatcha is pretty bad and predatory, but at least there's a chance (even if it's less than 1%) to get that new shiny thing for free. When they sell them there's usually a 0% chance. Either way they're pretty exploitive. While I can't say I don't play them, we'd probably be better off if this micro transaction games went away

I think they are playing the classic game of pushing the monetization just to walk it back a little bit so it won't look so bad. Many games that did move away from loot boxes went ham on the replacement, and the reaction from at least some of the players is always, "Maybe loot boxes weren't so bad" and it gets missed that the company made a conscious choice to set prices/grind rates. I doubt that Blizzard was somehow unaware that the paid method would cost somebody thousands of dollars or that certain packs cost $100, which is pretty far from a 'micro'transaction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3