• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eminence in Shadow

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
yeo, cid is mentally I'll, this is a dramedy.

whether or not you can enjoy that is the main Cruz of the series, later we geta. genuinely tragic/sad backstory and then cid does his thing in quote an unexpected yet telegraphed way, when i read that part i was sad for the backstory then started laughing.

some people noticed that the first episode had a joke against the audience, they made you sexualize a girl by showing hwe in underwear, then a shower scene just to reveal she is a rape survivor later, you pieces of trash. so.wtiemw the humour is just that harsh, like, in a meta level it toys quite a lot with the audience.

same for alpha's nude scene in episode 2 , i saw a ecchi-fan-waifu reactor be utterly confused because hot alpha was that ugly blob of meat just 2 minutes ago.
Ationvin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
By the way, I like the beginning of the series so far, but even so I sometimes catch myself that it is boring and standard. I hope that the main character won't repeat all the clichés of the genre and really be at least something fresh.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Ationvin wrote:
By the way, I like the beginning of the series so far, but even so I sometimes catch myself that it is boring and standard. I hope that the main character won't repeat all the clichés of the genre and really be at least something fresh.

Repeating all the clichés of the genre is sorta his entire reason for living. It's safe to say we're going to see a lot of them.
Anonimongus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:46 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
yeo, cid is mentally I'll, this is a dramedy.

whether or not you can enjoy that is the main Cruz of the series, later we geta. genuinely tragic/sad backstory and then cid does his thing in quote an unexpected yet telegraphed way, when i read that part i was sad for the backstory then started laughing.

some people noticed that the first episode had a joke against the audience, they made you sexualize a girl by showing hwe in underwear, then a shower scene just to reveal she is a rape survivor later, you pieces of trash. so.wtiemw the humour is just that harsh, like, in a meta level it toys quite a lot with the audience.

same for alpha's nude scene in episode 2 , i saw a ecchi-fan-waifu reactor be utterly confused because hot alpha was that ugly blob of meat just 2 minutes ago.

huh ? what are you talking about ? are your drunk ?
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If this episode makes one thing clear, it's that Cid's sex drive is completely non-existent.

I'm pretty sure that if the situation requires it for edgy fantasy reasons, Cid can activate his sex drive.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the end, Cid still manages to sell us on his dream—and in the process make us want to root for him even though he is, objectively, a selfish, insane maniac

this is pretty much how I am feeling while wtching the series. it is a strange kind of feeling, the guys is undisputably selfish and egotistical, and yet I can't help but find his earnestness very endearing.

in this case I think it helps that he is such a caricature, it makes me see his character as a representation of an idea rather than a person.

Quote:
So, the way I interpret the opening theme is that it's a look into what would have happened if the seven shadows were brought into our world instead of Cid being brought into theirs. Thoughts?

I might be reading too much of into it but I think it is meant to be symbolic. in the opening we see two scenarios, one were Cid (as his former self) is walking across a junkyard during rain. then at the end we see him turn on a Tv which broadcast scenes of his new life. the second scenario is of the shadow garden main girls acting as if they were highschoolers with a super hero secret identity

What I take from this is that the opening is meant to symbolize how the characters perceive the world. the Shadow garden girls legitimately beieve that they are the choosen ones in a quest to save the world, while also keeping an alter ego as regular members of society. meanwhile Cid even in his new life is still trapped into his broken-heartedness and can not objectively ovserve the world and himself for what they are.

as we can see in this episode the guy might as well already be the most powerful being alive in his new world and yet insist that his powers and skills are only useful for roleplaying in his leassure time. the guy deep inside just can't seem to accept that his dream is achivable after all, he might still be dealing with loss and the despair from his previous life. [/quote]
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryuu14 wrote:
Quote:
If this episode makes one thing clear, it's that Cid's sex drive is completely non-existent.

I'm pretty sure that if the situation requires it for edgy fantasy reasons, Cid can activate his sex drive.

You know, this actually brings up an kinda hilarious line of thought. Does an Eminence in Shadow fudge? My thinking is that, if so, it wouldn't be with a subordinate or a hero but maybe with the villainess equivalent of an an Eminence in Shadow? Regardless, it would have to be an equal of some sort to even be considered.

...though I suppose in his mob form if he found an equally mob-level girl to have a relationship with, he might have some seriously boring sex as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, standing O for Seiichirō Yamashita for his delivery of "I...am...atomic." Absolutely perfect.

I'm not clear on what happened to the monster girl. Did she become human again and then die or did Alpha leave her unconscious with Iris for aftercare after breaking the curse?

So yeah, still can't figure out how he continues to delude himself that everyone is LARPing, when the villains are clearly more than random bandits to practice on. Does he think they're all as dedicated to the fantasy as he is and willing to destroy the city and/or die for it? If so, how does that make them (or him) any different from "real" villains and heroes in his mind?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Shadow wasting no time schooling a mid-boss at best with a tour-de-force performance while Alexia can only look on and find validation in his swordsmanship.

I was wondering if they'd ever expand on the daughter of the bad guy in episode 2...did she survive? I was curious about that too, especially since Iris didn't send anyone to take care of her.

Nice to see Alpha get to show off (not that Iris is any slouch with the sword). I'm curious to see how Iris will react to Shadow Garden moving forward.

"I...am...atomic" The whole delivery and thought process behind it, the execution, and Seiichiro Yamashita's vocal talents just made this a spectacular sequence.

I really hope they evacuated anyone in the vicinity of that atomic blast or else they were protected like Alexia was.

Alexia finds a newfound appreciation in herself, reconciles with her sister, and wants to give the one guy who complimented her swordsmanship a chance at a real relationship...and he wants nothing to do with her any more. Ah well, Cid learned why you don't reject princesses. I hope this isn't the last we see of Alexia though.

Ha! Cid rejects one girl and gets a Meet Cute with another. I'm curious if this bookworm girl is involved with the fake Shadow Garden.

Also, can I just say how much I appreciate the Shadow Garden ladies' snazzy civilian outfits?
Nojay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not clear on what happened to the monster girl. Did she become human again and then die or did Alpha leave her unconscious with Iris for aftercare after breaking the curse?

The monsterised girl's name was Milia, the missing daughter of Viscount Olba (the guy who kidnapped Cid's sister Claire earlier) and she was killed by Alpha.

People die in Cid's world, mobs and nice folks as well as the Bad Guys. It makes this story a bit different from the usual isekai plot where the OP main character is a Hero and all the Nice People mostly survive.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I get that people die in this, from, you know, all the people who've died in this so far. I just couldn't tell from what was onscreen whether Milia died or not. Thanks for the clarification.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, standing O for Seiichirō Yamashita for his delivery of "I...am...atomic." Absolutely perfect.

So yeah, still can't figure out how he continues to delude himself that everyone is LARPing, when the villains are clearly more than random bandits to practice on. Does he think they're all as dedicated to the fantasy as he is and willing to destroy the city and/or die for it? If so, how does that make them (or him) any different from "real" villains and heroes in his mind?

Yeah, "I...am...atomic." was a fantastic moment.

And I agree, Cid's delusion stretches credibility paper thin. But he's a long way from rational. I don't think he's got any sense of the existence of an objective reality. He can respond to those around him, and work them into whatever fantasy scenario he's playing in the moment. But he doesn't actually integrate anything they say into his view of the world. Nothing is entirely real to him. But as I said last week, that makes him the worse monster here.
Clover_Zero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
That "I...am...atomic." sent shivers down my spine too, even though my speakers are bad. Absolutely beautiful and perfect. I want ASMR out of it now.

Anyway, I just wanna say the music is especially great in this episode (or it might be just my tastes). I especially love the dramatic piano when Alpha killed the "monster" and the music when Cid fought against Zenon.

Great music and animation, what a great adaptation. As a fan of the original work, I'm very happy.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
I guess this is just one of those shows that isn't for me. I like the character designs, the setting seems decent enough. I'm the sort of person who doesn't mind all the isekai every season as long as it offers something entertaining to hang your hat on. I've previously excused power fantasies that others dismissed for the same basic reason. As I watch upwards of 20 anime a season, I suppose my tolerance is usually high enough to deal with just about any BS story. But it's one of those deals here where I just can't stand the MC or the world's reaction to him. All this cheesy chuunibyo nonsense, the way it all fits together around him... even the "I am atomic" bit just felt so supremely dumb I'm taken entirely out of the spectacle it's supposed to apparently be and instead scream in my head "this idiot needs serious mental help" after spewing such a dumb monologue. I'm not having fun, and it's not offering anything worth thinking deeply on. It's just existing at the moment.

It's fortune for me right now is that it airs on a night that there's not really a lot else going on. It's not so terrible for me that I'd outright drop it, but it's one of those shows that I could easily see myself not catching up on if I fell behind on it. I'm curious enough to see where it all goes, but not hopeful enough that it goes anywhere entertaining or thoughtful enough to capture my attention much.
thieftheodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
instead scream in my head "this idiot needs serious mental help" after spewing such a dumb monologue.

That's the point, our protagonist here is insane and wrong in the head. Like the reviewer pointed out, this show filled with dark and dry comedy. Maybe you can try read the manga and enjoyed it more than the anime since it's more wacky and straightforward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11