• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Nominated for 95th Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:04 am Reply with quote
Soul_Punisher wrote:
Not surprised they would keep out Anime from the Oscar at this point especially when you have big disappointing top box office movies like One piece film DEAD taken the popular position for how awful it was watching in general it's no surprise they'd leave anime films to their devices on the eastern market to live out their little Hollywood.

One Piece Film Red was not eligible for this year's Oscars:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-12-06/inu-oh-drifting-home-goodbye-don-glees-confirmed-eligible-for-oscars/.192652
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:01 am Reply with quote
Honestly, Inu-Oh sounded like it was doing well around critic/film fest circles, I'm shocked it got snubbed. And is anyone else surprised The Sea Beast made it in? I've never seen or heard anyone talking about that film, even with Netflix releasing it. There was more buzz for Marcel in comparison.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:13 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

I am fortunate enough at closing in at 80 years old to know several academy members. A few years ago, there was much complaining that is so many old white men, so desertification. Now, academy is more deserve, but does not mean there is any more love for non US blockbusters of big names or low cost European indy film makers.

Diverse, diversification?

Egan Loo wrote:

Do we know if it was even submitted?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:43 am Reply with quote
Zen119 wrote:
Well, better luck next time.

As for the nominees, GDT's Pinocchio might win this but I'm rooting for Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.

I kind of hope either of them wins, if only because we don't need any more from Disney for the foreseeable future.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 am Reply with quote
Not really surprising. But I don't look towards American award shows for validation of anime. They never represent the actual anime community even when they do show up.

Of the nominated animation I'd give it to Pinocchi. Or maybe Puss in Boots if they want a safer but still fun option. Never saw or heard of the rest aside from Turning Red which looked really annoying by the trailers in addition to the weird fanbase it attracted who kept trying to oversell it by saying things like how it was better than Studio Ghibli.
TheBeastAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
We the same story about anime at the Oscars, and the same replies and thought pieces in the forums.
tomdean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:01 am Reply with quote
oscar nominations are nominated by actors, editors wrtiers and the like, given that most (western) actors don't watch anime, it's expected animes would not normally do well.

Some animes have made it globally and gets nominated, but those tend to be artsy-textbook films, the kind they pump out in art schools in new york, which is not what most animes are about. There is a reason why they call it Academic Awards and not Entertainment Awards.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:01 am Reply with quote
TheBeastAR wrote:
We the same story about anime at the Oscars, and the same replies and thought pieces in the forums.

Every single year, with slight variation if there's actually an anime gets nominated, namely: "Cool, but it won't win against Disney anyway."
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:30 am Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:

oscar nominations are nominated by actors, editors wrtiers and the like, given that most (western) actors don't watch anime, it's expected animes would not normally do well.

The animation category is different. Studios submit their films for eligibility, then the nominations are nominated by a special committee for animation. Afterwards, that's when the rest of the Academy voters get to vote for the winner

tomdean wrote:

Some animes have made it globally and gets nominated, but those tend to be artsy-textbook films, the kind they pump out in art schools in new york, which is not what most animes are about. There is a reason why they call it Academic Awards and not Entertainment Awards.

But that's the same for the whole of the Oscars - artsy films tend to win the Oscars, not the high-grossing films

That's why movie studios have their "tentpole" films that earn them the big revenues, and then they have their low-earning "prestige" films for the awards and reputation
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
WoodDude wrote:
Of the nominated animation I'd give it to Pinocchi. Or maybe Puss in Boots if they want a safer but still fun option. Never saw or heard of the rest aside from Turning Red which looked really annoying by the trailers in addition to the weird fanbase it attracted who kept trying to oversell it by saying things like how it was better than Studio Ghibli.

I'd like Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio to win, the movie in incredibly well made, it was a great adaptation of a classic story, not to mention its beautiful stop-motion. I haven't seen Puss in Boots: The Last Wish so I don't know how good it is, but it seems that audiences and critics loved it. Turning Red is actually pretty good, and ironically the film itself was inspired by anime, in the behind the scenes documentary the director cited various anime, and not just Ghibli films like Totoro, she mentioned shows like Ranma 1/2, Fruits Basket, Sailor Moon, among others, and while it you can see the anime influences in the final product I think DreamWorks' The Bad Guys, which was also inspired by anime like Lupin III, was a better visual adaptation of anime-styled animation to CG, I think they should have nominated The Bad Guys over The Sea Beast.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The 95th what now?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been in a movie theater since before the pandemic... and the last time was for the second MHA movie. Can't even remember when I last saw an American film. The Oscars can nominate or ignore whatever they like; nobody expects them to pay attention to anime anyway, other than that one fluke year with Spirited Away.
Xavon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Could we get a list of what was eligible?

Like DB Super: Super Heroes never stood a chance, Oscar hates anime and super hero movies.

But honestly, I have never liked the Oscars anyway. They are vastly out of touch with what's good.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:11 am Reply with quote
The Sea Beast is just ok but the other nominated films are all quality. How Do You Live? releases this year and Miyazaki never failed us. The streak will break but it really is Ghibli or the highway with Animation Oscar nominations.

There were no anime films worthy of awards last year. Plain and simple. The anime film market has been sluggish for years now. INU-OH gets good once you suffer through the first 30 minutes but it's more of an artistic expression than a story on film and the messy ending again lost me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:17 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:

Could we get a list of what was eligible?

Here's a list of what were submitted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submissions_for_the_Academy_Award_for_Best_Animated_Feature#2022

Studios have to submit their films themselves, then the Academy nominates from those eligible. If a studio doesn't submit a film, the Academy doesn't do anything about it.

I don't remember if the Academy ever publishes submitted films that are found to be ineligible.

Xavon wrote:

Like DB Super: Super Heroes never stood a chance, Oscar hates anime and super hero movies.

Anime films that rely on prior knowledge of the TV series, like the DBZ movies, won't stand a chance because the film has to stand on its own, and the Academy voters aren't going to go out of their way and watch the TV series just to understand what's going on in the movie.

But I think this is the first time in a long time a superhero movie got a major nomination, with the Best Supporting Actress nomination for Angela Bassett (Queen Ramonda in Black Panther)

Unless ya consider Joker as a superhero movie (Joaquin Phoenix actually won the Best Actor award) or Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse winning Best Animated Feature

Xavon wrote:

But honestly, I have never liked the Oscars anyway. They are vastly out of touch with what's good.

The Oscars like artsy films. Whether that's good or not, that's up to you.

The South Korean film Parasite won Best Picture a few years ago. Dunno how many of ya guys have seen it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4