• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaina of the Great Snow Sea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering how big a cliffhanger they're going to end on before the movie since I'm not sure if they'll be able to defeat the Builder and save Atland in one single episode...unless all that rain rusts the Builder and Kaina can take it down with his laser, and that's the only way they can probably get Amelothee on their side and get a Valghian ship they can use to hunt down the Great Spire. The people are already turning on them.

Also I love how the admiral tries to kill Ririha in front of her father...and not only fails to kill Ririha but her dad wasn't even aware she was there to begin with.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Ep11- HaHaHaHaHa...Where do I begin? I thought Fire Hunter had a large WTF ratio but this might be the king of the season. Evil Admiral I guess found the mech cockpit too stuffy for his asthma by the sound of things, so now he can apparently remote control it from the highest part of the flagship, enabling the 1000 yard one-shot Head Shot with a hand-held rifle no one knew about (not even soldier boy because he only had a sword fighting the Black Knight) from atop the bobbing sea monkey to end the war for good. But not before Kaina cranks the hand held MacGuffin (TM) brand laser to full to singlehandedly drill a 30 ft hole in the mech (who knew?) thereby winning the battle and saving the suddenly helpless damsel Ririha. Our Hero... no Canopy...

That carpet/map that was going to single-handedly end the war if it got to the king as if that made sense in the first place? Well, The Princess had to use that to put out the burning citizen in distress and leaves it to burn up. But, don't worry, the Valghians gave up and Kaina can now read the duplicate map in the throne room and they begin the plans for getting to the Great Spire Tree with water galore and definitely no mechs this time (probably...). Peace returns and everyone is reunited, even in the tree tops. All that's left is Ep12 or the Movie. Maybe The Scale of Hope isn't big enough to expect a second season?

@MFrontier
...you sir are psychic!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Ep11- HaHaHaHaHa...Where do I begin? I thought Fire Hunter had a large WTF ratio but this might be the king of the season. Evil Admiral I guess found the mech cockpit too stuffy for his asthma by the sound of things, so now he can apparently remote control it from the highest part of the flagship, enabling the 1000 yard one-shot Head Shot with a hand-held rifle no one knew about (not even soldier boy because he only had a sword fighting the Black Knight) from atop the bobbing sea monkey to end the war for good. But not before Kaina cranks the hand held MacGuffin (TM) brand laser to full to singlehandedly drill a 30 ft hole in the mech (who knew?) thereby winning the battle and saving the suddenly helpless damsel Ririha. Our Hero... no Canopy...

That carpet/map that was going to single-handedly end the war if it got to the king as if that made sense in the first place? Well, The Princess had to use that to put out the burning citizen in distress and leaves it to burn up. But, don't worry, the Valghians gave up and Kaina can now read the duplicate map in the throne room and they begin the plans for getting to the Great Spire Tree with water galore and definitely no mechs this time (probably...). Peace returns and everyone is reunited, even in the tree tops. All that's left is Ep12 or the Movie. Maybe The Scale of Hope isn't big enough to expect a second season?

@MFrontier
...you sir are psychic!

I honestly thought he had been in a cockpit the whole time too, though I guess thinking back there wasn't an explicit confirmation he was.

I also think they'd had guns since as early as the first episode? I might be wrong.

But I'm glad Kaina finally did what I'd been waiting for all season and unleashed that laser. It was quite the sight.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The show speeding through its aftermath and going "Oh btw they went back to the canopy" was downright insulting. What a mediocre show.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:30 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I honestly thought he had been in a cockpit the whole time too, though I guess thinking back there wasn't an explicit confirmation he was.

I also think they'd had guns since as early as the first episode? I might be wrong.

But I'm glad Kaina finally did what I'd been waiting for all season and unleashed that laser. It was quite the sight.

We saw him getting into that cabin on his ship to sit on his "thone" (cracks me up each time I see it that it's a toilet). Then the mech (which was some distance away) activated. So I'd kinda always viewed the helmet as some sort of remote brain interface. Which, since it's patched together with a skull and random gems, is it's own kind of unbelievable. How did that idiot get it working? (We see more original ones in the trailer for the movie)

And yes, the cavalry always had rifles, I think they used them in both the early engagements with the Valghians. Though previously they appeared about as effective as fairground air rifles. They're stored on their "horses" saddles. Which is why it wasn't with him on the command tower. They're probably pretty awkward to use indoors at close range so they didn't bother taking them.

Like everyone else, I wasn't expecting the full power laser to be quite that full power. Though it was cool.

And what of Light? I really hope the little green guy isn't dead.

Overall I guess I'm satisfied. The world was fascinating, though poorly explored by a somewhat rote plot and weird pacing. Our lead pair could have had more chemistry, but they weren't terrible. So it's a solid "it's fine" from me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3