• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - If 'JRPG' is a Dirty Word, It's America's Fault

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
This is why I like using the term Japanese-style RPG (or JSRPG) rather than just "JRPG." Because, obviously, plenty of Japanese-style RPGs have been developed outside of Japan, and plenty of Western-style RPGs have been developed in Japan.

I know some people have also advocated for ERPG, or Eastern-style RPG, and while I can appreciate the symmetry I don't think that term is likely to catch on.

I also can't help but take Yoshi-P's comments with... some very big grains of salt. He's speaking on behalf of Square-Enix, and Square-Enix as a company has spent the past decade and a half acting as though they were deeply ashamed of being in the JRPG business. I also know from my own experiences that while Japanese developers were often dismissed out of hand in the PS3/360 generation, the term JRPG specifically was rarely (if ever) used as a pejorative. It's been a clearly distinct (and well-respected) genre since the PS1 era.

There are reasons why people point to Square-Enix and talk about the decline of the JSRPG genre, and it has very little to do with racism and far more to do with Square-Enix' corporate culture. Back in the day Final Fantasy games were known for having large, diverse casts of characters -- and the Final Fantasy games of today tend to make special effort to exclusde women and people of color. If there's any disrespect being directed towards those developers, it's earned.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

I also can't help but take Yoshi-P's comments with... some very big grains of salt. He's speaking on behalf of Square-Enix, and Square-Enix as a company has spent the past decade and a half acting as though they were deeply ashamed of being in the JRPG business. I also know from my own experiences that while Japanese developers were often dismissed out of hand in the PS3/360 generation, the term JRPG specifically was rarely (if ever) used as a pejorative. It's been a clearly distinct (and well-respected) genre since the PS1 era.

There are reasons why people point to Square-Enix and talk about the decline of the JSRPG genre, and it has very little to do with racism and far more to do with Square-Enix' corporate culture. Back in the day Final Fantasy games were known for having large, diverse casts of characters -- and the Final Fantasy games of today tend to make special effort to exclusde women and people of color. If there's any disrespect being directed towards those developers, it's earned.

That's fair, but Square-Enix isn't the only people that make JRPGs and Yoshi-P isn't the only person who's pointed out the sheer racism behind the othering of Japanese games for the past couple of years. Tetsuya Takahashi of Monolith said the same thing a decade ago. It's an ongoing matter and it's been an ongoing issue. This twitter thread has plenty of statements from Takahashi and other devs who've been on the receiving end of "JRPG" as a pejorative term.

Yeah, SE did a lot of boneheaded moves with regards to their games. That's just a microcosm of the entire industry. And remember, it wasn't just SE or RPGs that got snubbed for years and years: people wanted Nintendo dead ever since the release of the SNES, and those sentiments reached a fever pitch with the Wii and the DS.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Western media and tastemakers are infamous for their discomfort or lack of care when covering Japanese media.
Some of the most insufferable is having interest in anything Japanese gets people shouting "weeb" or using it shorthand for anything Japanese.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:34 am Reply with quote
You know, I remember even the Japanese ad for Fallout: New Vegas was basically crapping all over Japanese RPGs.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/japanese-fallout-new-vegas-ads-hate-on-jrpgs/

Not sure if that was Bethesda, Obsidian, or the Japanese branches doing it, but it's kind of funny. Especially since it's not like the game sold particularly well in Japan so the marketing wasn't very effective.

Fluwm wrote:
[/quote]

If you're including non-humanoid races in that definition of diversity then maybe I could see that, but if we're talking strictly real world diversity then I don't think that's true at all; especially the earlier games where the only diversity you had for the first six games were the optional playable yeti and moogle in 6. I mean, outside of Barret in 7 and Sahz in 13 it's not like Final Fantasy is known for non Asian/White looking characters or anything: Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Cid, Vincent, Squall, Rinoa, Selphie, Zell, Quitis, Irvine, Zidane, Garnet, Steiner, Eiko, Amarant, Tidus, Yuna, Wakka, Lulu, Rikku, Vaan, Penelo, Basch, Balthier, Ashe, Lightning, Snow, Hope, Vanielle, Fang... not really much diversity. Or in most Japanese RPGs for that matter let's be honest here.

And the only main game that excluded playable female characters is 15, although it's not like they didn't make an all-female game before with X-2. And it's not like the previous mainline game before 15 was a female-centric trilogy starring Lightning and her sister. Ironically I remember people complaining that 15 was aimed at fujoshis due to the boy band looking all male cast.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

That's fair, but Square-Enix isn't the only people that make JRPGs and Yoshi-P isn't the only person who's pointed out the sheer racism behind the othering of Japanese games for the past couple of years. Tetsuya Takahashi of Monolith said the same thing a decade ago. It's an ongoing matter and it's been an ongoing issue. This twitter thread has plenty of statements from Takahashi and other devs who've been on the receiving end of "JRPG" as a pejorative term.

Yeah, SE did a lot of boneheaded moves with regards to their games. That's just a microcosm of the entire industry. And remember, it wasn't just SE or RPGs that got snubbed for years and years: people wanted Nintendo dead ever since the release of the SNES, and those sentiments reached a fever pitch with the Wii and the DS.

No kidding; I still haven't forgotten (nor forgiven) the nearly two year-long gaslighting campaign with the failed Devil May Cry reboot that did everything it could to smear the previous entries and the fanbase. Xenoblade nearly didn't make it over here because Nintendo saw the hostility toward overtly Japanese games and it was only because of its conventional release it got any sort of attention to the point where it's now considered Nintendo premier RPG series alongside titles like Fire Emblem. It really is an embarrassing generation to look upon, full of racism, sexism, elitism, and gate keeping. It's no wonder the worst moments in gaming history (both in games and in gaming culture) happened during those years
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:36 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

I know some people have also advocated for ERPG, or Eastern-style RPG, and while I can appreciate the symmetry I don't think that term is likely to catch on.

That's realistically never gonna catch on because the number of people who play games not from Japan, but also from the eastern sphere is not that high

Fluwm wrote:

This part of your post is actually a perfect example of my previous one about how this was actually an industry wide issue that many people spoke about but many forget to acknowledge. Do you really think Squeenix is the only one who had this problem? In a world where Capcom did this "shit, we need to pivot to the West NOW" push? In a time when studios skipped the PS360 consoles entirely? Where they actually spoke about the troubles of game development as a whole?

In fact do you remember why this mentality began to exist in the first place? There were two parts to it. Yes, there was the trouble with HD development but also at that same time, Western games and particularly Western RPGs began to actually sell well, games that were in many ways the opposite of Japanese ones. The combination of the two led to some serious downturn in the wider Japanese and even devs speaking in that time say they suffered an identity crisis because of it.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Yoshida's comments on Final Fantasy XVI had more to do with the team deciding pretty early on that the entry where most major characters commit war crimes was probably not the time to go full Bridgerton. He's only actually on the record denying having "modern" levels of diversity, and considering the FFXIV lore books have multiple chapters on diaspora, I think we can give him and CBU3 the benefit of the doubt when he says "modern." But, no, people wanted to re-litigate The Rings of Power and it was so easy to make the stubborn Japanese man refusing to globalize into a scapegoat, some going as far as condemning Japanese devs as a whole for their willful ignorance. Does anyone else see the problem here?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Another thing that gets me is it's not like during the 7th gen Japan stopped making RPGs, they were making tons of them. Just not for consoles. Due to a shifting market, a lot of their titles moved over to handhelds. Valkyria Chronicles, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, and freaking DRAGON QUEST all went to handhelds and they sold big because that's where the market was. Heck, Dragon Quest was having a full-blown revival in the West because of Nintendo localizing and publishing the DS and 3DS remakes of the older titles as well as Dragon Quest IX. As such, I don't think it was any coincidence that the stigma was exacerbated there as the West has always begrudgingly accepted handhelds, thinking of them as "lesser", and considering how they associated RPGs with big, splashy AAA affair that definitely colored their opinions

Yeah, during the 360/PS3 era most Japanese developers shifted some of their focus to the DS, and PSP to an extent, due to their hardware simplicity, that they were not in HD and that they had a high number of users in Japan and overseas. I remember people being shocked when Enix, Armor Project and Level-5 chose the DS as the platform for DQIX.
We can't also forget that Japanese game development in general was affected due to the 2011 tsunami and earthquake
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:58 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Yoshida's comments on Final Fantasy XVI had more to do with the team deciding pretty early on that the entry where most major characters commit war crimes was probably not the time to go full Bridgerton. He's only actually on the record denying having "modern" levels of diversity, and considering the FFXIV lore books have multiple chapters on diaspora, I think we can give him and CBU3 the benefit of the doubt when he says "modern." But, no, people wanted to re-litigate The Rings of Power and it was so easy to make the stubborn Japanese man refusing to globalize into a scapegoat, some going as far as condemning Japanese devs as a whole for their willful ignorance. Does anyone else see the problem here?

We've seen tanned characters in FFXVI previews. It's just they're probably from other nations and wouldn't exist in a large numbers in the games main setting. That's nothing new for Final Fantasy. The only two dark skinned characters in Tactics were Rafa and Malak who were kidnapped from a foreign nation as children and raised in Ivalice. Otherwise, literally all the natuve people in Ivalice are white skinned with blonde hair. I'm expecting that for XVI.

I'd say the main issue is proper worldbuilding is kind of frowned upon in American media these days. Afterall, if Tolkien's current rightsholders can fall in line and change things so black hobbits, dwarves, and elves exist then surely some Japanese developer should be able to change their work to comply to the modern standards. Most of the hubub was from American pundits who were just so used to American media falling in line without any pushback so when they see a Japanese creator look at them oddly and say it wouldn't make much sense in their world to have modern diversity they get taken aback by such a response. But even XIV is like that. Most dark skinned characters are congregated to nations like Ala Mhigo and Thavnair, and when Ala Mhigo was invaded some refugees took up residence in Eorzean cities like Ul'Dah but they're still the minority there compared to the fair-skinned natives. Nations like Hingashi are populated by entirely Asian-looking characters as they're very isolated and refuse admittance to most outsiders. There's a lot of thought that goes into worldbuilding, but some people don't seem to care much about stuff like.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Gosh.... there's a lot to unpack in this article. As someone that's gone through the ritual of venturing out to a Radioshack to replace an original Atari 2600's AC adapter, a JRPG was a mark of quality in the particular region of NE USA where I came up. Specifically when you'd have "a turn-based game where a group of characters or friends fight to save the world", if something was a JRPG like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger, it meant - "buckle up, this thing is gonna be worth money". Legend of the Seven Stars, Xenogears.... Golden Sun. Those are all top-shelf experiences.

I cant help but be reminded of Operation Rainfall - it might have marked, at least in my mind, a spot where the term 'JRPG' started getting a bit obsolete or where the genre had started to evolve beyond what it originally was, as I believe all three of those Operation Rainfall games weren't turn-based. Not too dissimilar to Demon's Souls, that's about the time I'd have started seeing Action-RPG pop up, since they're not turn-based.

I've been feeling as of late that as Pokemon moves away from its Dragon Quest-y, 'JRPG' roots towards a more Open-World RPG sort of style, that it's losing a lot of what made me fall in love with it to begin with.

With Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, they coined the term 'Tactics RPG' - an isometric style RPG that utilises turn-based battles, class changes, and a grid map to function. Digimon Survive is a mashup of the Visual Novel and Tactics RPG genre. Digimon World NEXT that just released on PC and Switch has RTS combat but a JRPG-style world.... but it's a Virtual Pet simulator too.

As other folks have pointed out, the "Gosh, isn't Japan weird!?" mentality of media outlets is more likely what gave a dirtied impression of the term. From a gaming literacy perspective, how else do you describe Chrono Cross? RPG yeah, but I've seen weird occasions where Zelda Ocarina of Time is described as an RPG, and I'd say that it qualifies in only the MOST literal definition of the term - taking on the role of a character other than yourself.... but then, wouldn't most character-driven games like Crash Bandicoot be an RPG as well, technically? Even Dungeons and Dragons being mentioned in the article - the IRL version of it is a Tabletop RPG, the video games for it often wind up either as Action-RPGs or CRPGs like Divinity Original Sin. Chrono Cross is not any of those.... other than turn-based, but then simply saying turn-based alone seems to undercut the artistry and story that rests behind it.

Out of purely utilitarian need for a way to quickly describe it in shorthand, we say JRPG. It instantly informs that there's turn-based gameplay, party-based characters, and likely a really meaty story. And when that differs with Baten Kaitos, it's a card-battler or Card RPG.

I see it in a more utilitarian-style light as a literacy issue, but you can't really argue with it when it comes straight from the horses' mouth as it were. If 'JRPG' is making some devs uncomfortable, then it makes them uncomfortable and we should be conscious of that.

I would also like to take this time to state that in my experience, the one single word in gaming literacy that from day one was absolutely 200% derogatory in every sense.... was mobile.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Some of my favorite video games are JRPGs. Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Breath of Fire II, and Super Mario RPG, among others. But they're all from the same generation, and back when people were just calling them "RPGs". Probably because most video games were coming out of Japan, so you just sort of assumed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Nigel Planter wrote:

I'd say the main issue is proper worldbuilding is kind of frowned upon in American media these days. Afterall, if Tolkien's current rightsholders can fall in line and change things so black hobbits, dwarves, and elves exist then surely some Japanese developer should be able to change their work to comply to the modern standards. Most of the hubub was from American pundits who were just so used to American media falling in line without any pushback so when they see a Japanese creator look at them oddly and say it wouldn't make much sense in their world to have modern diversity they get taken aback by such a response.

I'd like to remind you that the writer of this column is Puerto Rican. So when you start talking about "proper worldbuilding" or "modern standards", I'm gonna start side-eying you super-hard because I'm old enough to remember what the "old standard" was.

I said it in the column, I'm saying it again: POC aren't a statistical anomaly invented to piss people off or push agendas. We're just people, and we're literally all over. So when people get this defensive over having POC in their game, it looks really freaking suspect. And just wanting to see nonwhite people represented being framed as some kind of political agenda really sucks.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I don't want to go against the grain on calling the gaming culture's view on JRPGs back then as Xenophobia (remember X-Play? Shitting on JRPGs was their bread and butter even during the PS2 era) but I feel like rushing to that conclusion devalues Japanese devs who spoke out about how there were issues adjusting to the HD era. There were still good games and good JRPGs. But many of the games that were coming out were still heavily flawed on console and a lot of franchises had to move to handheld only or just straight up died upon the rise of the PS360. This time period was very hard for many Japanese studios and not in a "well they needed to change their ways" way but that the gaming landscape was changing rapidly and it was hard for them to adapt way. Heck I'll be honest, to this day I'm still not feeling FFXIII

I recommend everybody should watch this great documentary that has multiple video game devs talking specifically about "the resurgance of Japanese gaming"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6ZHkg5BtE
You'll get a real feel for the challenges that Japanese gaming development, how it affected them, and how it led to this new rise of appreciation for Japan's games. There are lines in there where they acknowledge some of the games weren't in a great place back then.

It is interesting though that Yoshi-P's comments put Capcom's weird phase of trying to appeal more to the West in a wider context. The view of Japanese games back then must have just been very demoralizing

This can assuredly be a situation where both are accurate. Japanese developers had issues focusing on consoles in the 360/PS3 generation which weren't fully righted until the PS4/One generation, and X-Play was full of racist, xenophobic, passive-aggressive garbage like when they reviewed an Eyeshield 21 game (that they didn't know how to play so they said it sucked, it's really just an arcade footballer in the vein of Tecmo Bowl) with "The Japanese have inflicted atrocities upon mankind for centuries now," and call the series "desecration" of Murican football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ViFCCkzxKg&ab_channel=G4ZDTechTV

It honestly makes a lot of Adam Sessler's later statements really suspect, and sort of explains why so many game players...don't like game journalists. It also explains the disdain that a lot of these developers would have for being "othered" or isolated by region, that these journalists will automatically assume because they aren't Western, that their product is inferior in quality (even if that's not the intention, that's the presumed intent of the words through their actions).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

This can assuredly be a situation where both are accurate. Japanese developers had issues focusing on consoles in the 360/PS3 generation which weren't fully righted until the PS4/One generation, and X-Play was full of racist, xenophobic, passive-aggressive garbage like when they reviewed an Eyeshield 21 game (that they didn't know how to play so they said it sucked, it's really just an arcade footballer in the vein of Tecmo Bowl) with "The Japanese have inflicted atrocities upon mankind for centuries now," and call the series "desecration" of Murican football.

It honestly makes a lot of Adam Sessler's later statements really suspect, and sort of explains why so many game players...don't like game journalists. It also explains the disdain that a lot of these developers would have for being "othered" or isolated by region, that these journalists will automatically assume because they aren't Western, that their product is inferior in quality (even if that's not the intention, that's the presumed intent of the words through their actions).

The thing is, it's not like the West was struggling less with HD development. Tons of studios, even successful ones, closed during the 7th gen. Heck, even publishers did with THQ folding. As such, I wonder if the reality wasn't that Japan was doing worse, it's that the West seemed to create an illusion where it was doing better through sheer numbers and turning their dev scenes into meat grinders. I don't think it's any coincidence that the move to the PS4 and XBox One finally broke the spell because they just burnt too many people out.

And that's before getting into how Japanese companies were doing very well on handhelds which was where the money for them was through stuff like Dragon Quest IX, Monster Hunter, Yo-Kai Watch, Pokemon, etc and the reason that went under the radar was because of the West turning up its nose at the DS and 3DS
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

The thing is, it's not like the West was struggling less with HD development. Tons of studios, even successful ones, closed during the 7th gen. Heck, even publishers did with THQ folding. As such, I wonder if the reality wasn't that Japan was doing worse, it's that the West seemed to create an illusion where it was doing better through sheer numbers and turning their dev scenes into meat grinders. I don't think it's any coincidence that the move to the PS4 and XBox One finally broke the spell because they just burnt too many people out.

And that's before getting into how Japanese companies were doing very well on handhelds which was where the money for them was through stuff like Dragon Quest IX, Monster Hunter, Yo-Kai Watch, Pokemon, etc and the reason that went under the radar was because of the West turning up its nose at the DS and 3DS

First of all, I would not say the West turned up it's nose at the DS. 3DS maybe, but that was a worldwide issue. Second, I would say handhelds and handhelds alone hard carrying Japanese companies through that generation was a clear example of the issue. Especially considering this was industry-wide
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6