• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KamiKatsu: Working for God in a Godless World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:30 am Reply with quote
DanMatcha wrote:
According to the Mangaka, the tractor scenes being live action footage was a deliberate choice by the director: https://twitter.com/akashiro_aoi/status/1651986964013547520.

Flipping through their Twitter I see they also scripted the first season of Konosuba. That explains a lot.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:47 am Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Even if it is purposeful, it still looks like crap in the least interesting way possible.

More than anything, this episode felt like a reason to justify for the production committee to pay for Megumi Ogata for this boring-as-dirt villain. What a waste of talent.

It looked utterly hilarious to me. Especially when Clen walked by.

I don't think they needed a reason to justify paying Megumi Ogata, I mean it's an entirely all-star cast. If anything the most glaring thing was Junichi Suwabe only getting like two lines before he got gender-flipped.

I also think Loki is kind of interesting and a good contrast to Yukito/Mitama, but that's just me.
Woozy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
Incompetent production lol.
Why cant reviewer just be honest and just give the show a 1 star or less instead of trying to more unfunny than the show with their scoring.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
Whelp I accidentally saw the tractor scene and now I have to watch an entire show that start its first episode with an handjob "joke" and finish with naked girl riding some guy face, goddammit.
Slips Python

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit I checked out the show because I saw the tractor scene. Was very funny. Obviously not a production issue but a deliberate choice. I can respect the creativity and not taking things seriously. Other stuff about the show have been kind of fun too. I can see why people like it.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:07 am Reply with quote
Woozy wrote:
Incompetent production lol.
Why cant reviewer just be honest and just give the show a 1 star or less instead of trying to more unfunny than the show with their scoring.

Other then the rating I do not see him purposefully trying to be satirical or funny, just analysing the story beats and production methods. And given the shows value is at best a shitpost show that does not seem too unfair in his assessments. It is not exactly fun to rate a show low when it is clearly aiming for badness, might as well go for a amusing music title / song.

He is not wrong that making a story twist where the normal state your twisting was never established is a bit dumb. We just had the vageuries of a brutal social structure.
kriissyy12

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's one thing if the reviewer doesn't like the show, but not even being aware at the tractor scene being intentional (which was confirmed by the creator and scriptwriter) just shows these reviews are ignorant. You're attempting to be funny, yet failing miserably at doing so. It's also funny (not really) how you're trying to act like everyone watching this show hates it as much as you do, when clearly if you go to r/anime, animecorner, twitter or just about anywhere that talks about Anime, you would see a lot of people like this show.

So please stop putting out this absolutely unfunny and terrible reviews.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
kriissyy12 wrote:
It's one thing if the reviewer doesn't like the show, but not even being aware at the tractor scene being intentional (which was confirmed by the creator and scriptwriter) just shows these reviews are ignorant. You're attempting to be funny, yet failing miserably at doing so. It's also funny (not really) how you're trying to act like everyone watching this show hates it as much as you do, when clearly if you go to r/anime, animecorner, twitter or just about anywhere that talks about Anime, you would see a lot of people like this show.

So please stop putting out this absolutely unfunny and terrible reviews.

Yea I kind of agree with you, Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions but i really feel the hate this show is getting here is a bit extreme, it’s not anime of the season by any means but it’s pretty enjoyable.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I want to see how they described to Junichi Suwabe how he would only be in one episode and then get gender-flipped...and then come back briefly only to get transformed into a woman again.

Also Rie Takahashi as a twintail gyaru sex God and Mikako Komatsu as a sex worker who has never had sex despite having very hardcore sexual fantasies...this show sure knows how to use it's A-list cast.

So now we have two loli Gods. How clever of Yukito, and Atar can make up for whatever Mitama is lacking.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:47 am Reply with quote
While the bar for the animation on this show started out at 'half buried in the mud,' this was the first one to really make think "Oh wow, this production is starting to fall apart." So much of this episode was just off, be it off-model proportions, bizarre animation choices (like that neck tilt midway through), shots that are flagrantly recycled less than a minute apart, clumsy broadcast censorship, or just the digital equivalent of dragging the cel across the screen, all of it on top of what was already cut-rate animation and abysmal CG integration. They can't even use the (largely recycled) OP anymore because they don't have the sneak preview footage from the latest episode to put into it. That's why they're just dumping the credits and OP song now midway through the episode at the most random spot possible. They don't even try for things like 'random pixel art inserts' because even that requires too much time and manpower that they clearly do not have to spare.

People keep claiming this jankiness is an on-purpose joke, but I simply cannot agree. I've seen my fair share of anime where the production fell apart midway through and that is what KamiKatsu feels like at this point. It was struggling from the start, but now it is outright floundering and there's no telling how much further it may fall before it's done.
AllOldandNoFun

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:32 pm Reply with quote
This is a lame trend on ANN the past few years. Reviewers have absurd standards or just dislike the majority of anime. I'll admit that I like the show. I can also recognize it is objectively extremely average. Some offensive "jokes." Mixed messages from the overall plot.

Yet many of the reviewers and users are inspiring: they have never seen a bad anime. For the ANN reviewer and many here, this is somehow worse than Redo of Healer. The CG looks worse than Double Zeta, the budget clearly went all into one voice actor, the plot is worse than amateur fan fiction, the director is lost, more recycled footage than Gundam Wing, can't even do fanservice right, etc.

Puhleeease.

One or two shows of the season get relentless trashing with little actual reviewing going on. Other shows gets relentless praise or just dumped on. One episode gets a redemption review with the summary becoming "if only the rest were like this!"

Nah. This show, like many others, is just alright. Solid 5, maybe 6 out of 10. It does a few things right, a few things wrong, and doesn't leave a lasting impression for most people. Maybe you'll like it or just get bored. There is no critical mix of absolute failures (as of writing anyway) so you probably won't actually end up hating it. Despite what ANN reviewers will lead you to believe, you should generally give (almost) any show being reviewed a shot if the concept sounds interesting to you. Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised.

It's too bad ANN reviewers (and many of those joining on said "critique") these days either love what they watch or want to show off how spicy their take can be. For ANNs scale, the show is a 0, 1, or a 5.

KamiKatsu establishes its plot quickly. It has a twist and the show keeps both rather simplistic. Character motives are consistent, if sometimes strange or inappropriate.
Relatively diverse cast with uneven character development. Tends to go overboard with character tropes but world building uses some less common ones. Nothing particularly original. Animation quality is all over the place, but the director tries to use stylistic choices in place of the usual frame or poor drawing tricks for the most part. The humor is polarizing and you probably will find times where it doesn't mesh well with a scenes tone.

A series can do much, much worse than this. It can certainly do a lot better too.

I suspect many would have an aneurysm if they had to watch Dragonaut in it's entirety.
Maybe that should be a required watching so a baseline can be established, cause only one show in the last five years has come close to that disaster (that show is mentioned in this post if you're curious.) ANN editorial makes it sound seasonal.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Other than as a joke production I would call it a 3/10 experience. The reviews has been analytical of Kamikatsu's failings. It could of been a total joke review like Fruit of Evolution but instead he devoted time to showing what gives him a bad experience with Kamikatsu. I feel like asking a reviewer to simultaneously not share their feelings or analyse a episode if it has criticisms is a terrible standard to have.

Why not take the time to analyse your own scenes to demonstrate why you think they are a good experience? We have heard much of people laughing at the poorly rotoscoped farming equipment. That was funny, what else?

Also where on earth did you get the impression the reviewer thinks it is worse then Redo of Healer? The CG is plainly terrible, purposeful or not
Uchay

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Y'all asked them to review this show (Remember, this was *voted* in by the community), even though most of the reviewers reactions in the preview guide about the show were lukewarm at best, trashfire at worst. You all knew to whom this sort of show goes for the weekly reviews. (I'm truly sorry Nicholas)

If anything, I'm sure most people in the site voted this show in to see the negative, satirical reviews. Truly, it's a pity for people who liked the anime and legitimately wanted it, but from the preview guide alone you all should have seen that these reviews wouldn't resonate with you.

Don't go around acting surprised and offended that the reviews are negative, now. Rolling Eyes
Woozy

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I mean there are like 5+ weekly reviewers and one of them did like the first episode from the preview guide. So not sure if this is a valid argument to use.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I dare say that this latest episode might have been its most competent one yet.

Mind you, it's still relying almost entirely on terrible fanservice jokes and a lot of jumping to conclusions. When the staff isn't outright recycling whole sequences, they were leaning on those pixel art inserts to carry the show (which itself has always been an odd choice for an isekai that has absolutely nothing to do with video games whatsoever). It also seems they're going to drag out this conflict with Dakini as long as they can despite her being no more interesting or threatening than any of the other villains.

But this time the animation wasn't actively melting before my eyes and they must have gotten far enough ahead in production that they had footage from the episode to put in the (90% recycled) OP. Congrats KamiKatsu, you've managed to climb your way to "barely competent"! If it actually commits to getting rid of Roy the one-note pervert, I might even take off the "barely" from that statement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6