• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga's Live-Action Knights of the Zodiac Film Opens With US$2.4 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

At this point I’m surprised Sony didn’t sell the rights to Netflix or another streamer for a set fee, which is their usual MO with a film they think will underperform financially.

There was zero advertising or reviews. I saw more Tweets pointing out Crunchyroll added back in more cursing to their English dub of Saint Seiya (including F-bombs apparently) than promotion for this film.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder if it's an issue of Toei's hurt pride. If I'm allowed to spin a bit of a wild speculation, I could imagine Toei being mad about Saint Seiya never picking up in popularity in the US and hence the repeated attempts at rebooting the franchise with a clearly American sensibility in mind (or whatever Toei execs consider American sensibilities), instead of cultivating and appreciating the LatAm fandom that has kept the franchise alive for decades. And the end result is a movie (as well as a CGI animated series) that Americans still don't care for, but that also succeeds in alienating the devoted LatAm fandom. It would explain why they decided to lean into the shitty original aspects of the CG series instead of learning from its failure
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:18 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I have to wonder if it's an issue of Toei's hurt pride. If I'm allowed to spin a bit of a wild speculation, I could imagine Toei being mad about Saint Seiya never picking up in popularity in the US and hence the repeated attempts at rebooting the franchise with a clearly American sensibility in mind (or whatever Toei execs consider American sensibilities), instead of cultivating and appreciating the LatAm fandom that has kept the franchise alive for decades. And the end result is a movie (as well as a CGI animated series) that Americans still don't care for, but that also succeeds in alienating the devoted LatAm fandom. It would explain why they decided to lean into the shitty original aspects of the CG series instead of learning from its failure

I think the Japanese have traditionally cared more about what Americans think of them than what other countries think. This is evident in the phrase "going big in America," which is a bit of a harmful mindset for a country with a complicated history with the United States.

Compare this to the Russian creator of the video game "Metro 2033." He rejected Hollywood's offer to make an Americanized version of the game, and instead chose to have it adapted into a Russian film. Sure, the Russian version might not have been as good as an American one, but at least the author had more creative control over the final product.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:35 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I saw more Tweets pointing out Crunchyroll added back in more cursing to their English dub of Saint Seiya (including F-bombs apparently) than promotion for this film.

According to Sentai's translator for the show (privated account so you wouldn't find it), the one F bomb was in the original take for the dub and that's the only time that word was used.

A bit of a shame that it's the only notable difference though since it was already pointed out in another thread that the "Knights" change is still intact.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:05 pm Reply with quote
It obviously doesn't much of anything in the grand scheme of things, but I think it is worth pointing out that over this past week, one of Right Stuf's "Top Sellers" (as in the Top 500+ best selling items across Blu-Ray, DVD, Figures, Manga, Novels, & Artbooks) was Anime Midstream's DVD boxset for B't X Neo from 2019.

What wasn't a "Top Seller" this past week was Discotek's BD boxset for the Saint Seiya movies of the 80s from 2021. Just an amusingly ironic thing to notice mere days after the "Hollywood Seiya" movie debuted in the US & Canada.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:57 am Reply with quote
Mario movie might have had a big role contributing to this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3