• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult Swim's Jason DeMarco: 'We Won't Be Making Any More' FLCL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:16 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
We didn't need to know what happened to anyone from the original cast after the show, neither did we need any of the lore deep dives

Neither of these things happen in the new shows at all though (Cant in Prog I guess, but not really)?

Frankly I'd say the new shows mostly play it too safe in terms of "trying not to offend anyone by touching the plot". It seems especially constructed to be not sacriligious; there's less plot details than an Enokido work, themes and moments are repeated very reverently so the viewers know that the creators "understood that flcl is about the themes", etc. The new stories can be so disconnected from the original that they're kind of like AUs (which is... not a bad idea, since Diebuster is like an AU itself? But reflective of this overall attitude). Amarao surprisingly appears in Grunge, but his appearances are so brief, referential, and lacking in any interaction with any of the new cast, that it's like they were scared to actually use him.

I think I'd actually respect them more if they had a character nerdily monologue about the author's Enokido headcanons. Or maybe that's just the kind of thing I would write.
Hatless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:21 am Reply with quote
I liked the original series and am glad it's become this pseudo-anthology format.

Clutching melodramatic horror from it is weird.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:55 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
In a bit of a minority on here, but I'm actually a bit sad by the news.

I couldn't agree more. I was pretty apathetic to the idea of more FLCL sequels after the first two, but considering how much I wound up liking Grunge and that Shoegaze hasn't even finished yet, seeing nearly everyone posting in this thread celebrate the end of the sequels (which Demarco recently confirmed was because of existing commitments and not enough money in their budget) like it's a good thing - regardless of whether or not one thinks it is - just makes me feel sorry for them.

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:25 am Reply with quote
I've never even finished the OG FLCL and I'm overjoyed by this news. Eff that cash-cowing.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I would bet that this has more to do with Cartoon Network's parent company, Warner Discovery, having overextended itself with the merger of the two corporate parts of its name. They've been ruthlessly cutting across the board, including the nearly-completed Batgirl movie.
Anime was a mistake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
FLCQuels are a horrible idea to begin with - hopefully Tsurumaki got a big fat check out of it at least
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:08 pm Reply with quote
It was the same story with Shenmue. The show did well enough but WBD is being run like a closeout sale.
scrunchybunch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I do think each season of FLCL is good in its own way, but are certainly not going to be the follow-ups most people want or thought they wanted. As someone who watched the original as it aired, I've been watching these as just being along for the ride and seeing how they tackle themes of adolescence in 6 (or now 3) episodes. Though I think my tone on Shoegaze will entirely depend on what the hell happens in the finale next week. So far each finale has felt like it wrapped up the story it was trying to tell in a decent way. I think this one has the potential to for sure!

I'm glad this stuff got made! a lot of love definitely went into it all.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:09 pm Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:
The original series was an OVA that wasn't made to run on television.

Damn and it didn’t take years to finish production?
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
BluesPro wrote:
The original series was an OVA that wasn't made to run on television.

It took almost a year from ep 1 to ep 6's release. Seems like a normal pace to me.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
It was the same story with Shenmue. The show did well enough but WBD is being run like a closeout sale.

Yeah, I think this situation puts Toonami in a very tough spot. The people in charge of the network now don't seem to be too interested in something like this, but producing their own anime content was a decent answer to how to handle everything else being shows that people could, and likely have, watched already through streaming.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
All I want is an Cameo With a older Naota and Mamimi. Sad If it's gonna end it be the perfect way to end it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

It took almost a year from ep 1 to ep 6's release. Seems like a normal pace to me.[/quote]

From what I know of the production cycles of OVAs they can take a few months to finish their entire production or years like Gundam Unicorn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3