• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam SEED FREEDOM Anime Film Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
db999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
zalminar wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:
I thought they absolutely nailed perfectly, and a clear shining point above the original dubs awkward, stilted, slavish adhesion to being a near direct 1:1 to the Japanese script. There are times where that’s perfectly fine, but Gundam Seed I thought definitely benefitted from a little more finesse with its localized script.

I can't speak or read Japanese, so I can't be sure which is the more "slavish" script, but I find it hard to believe "screaming into the hereafter" is the more localized translation (it might be farther from the original Japanese, but it's certainly also farther from spoken English). There are other places where the original script has more common idiomatic language which makes me doubt it's more of a 1:1 translation in general. (For example--and I'm using the first episode here as a reference, because it's on youtube and thus easier for me to scan through side by side with the original--Rau mentions having a "sixth sense about these things" while the redub just talks about "intuition".)

Stelman257 wrote:
I think the new script sounds brilliant here, the old one is very stilted and formal. Like a business transaction being talked about. It would fit in a different Gundam series perhaps, or if these characters were portrayed in such a neutral way.

Your analysis misses the context. This is more business like, there should be smug confidence (delivered with venom)--these aren't soldiers screaming on the battlefield, they're professionals preparing for a preemptive attack (even the redub actor delivers it similarly to the original, without excessive emotion). Which makes me suspect that what you're calling "confused and wooden" from the original dub is just naturalistic or subtle.

And yes, the show makes clear the racism and hostility both sides have for each other, but it also makes clear that these aspects are not always explicit or cartoonish--there is a descent into open virulent hatred over the course of the series, there is a progression in the story and its presentation (and it has a lot to say about the banality of evil). Not only that, there's a progression within the episode--the clinical description of the war, Rau's cold analysis, Mu's cocksure attitude, all giving way to the chaos and violence when we see the war firsthand from the point of view of the civilians. Again, the same is at play with the Rau performance--he should be unsettling at the start; he should have a public face that isn't also a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Not everything should be 100% in your face all the time.

But that's still leaving aside it's a poor line. Just try saying both of them out loud; the redub is a jumble of syllables. "Filthy surface-dwellers" is fine, if trite and awkward to get out of the mouth. It's also banal and uninformative; "still clinging to the planet's surface" expresses not just generic hatred, but a specific contempt about the people on earth being backwards and stuck in the past. The hatred isn't because they live on the surface but because they cling to the past. And "screaming into the hereafter" is just indefensible in context--it's not a Shakespearean soliloquy. They could have said "straight to hell," which is as boring as the rest of the line but is at least how a person might talk (and there's no need to synchronize the line with lip flaps so there isn't any excuse there).

I'm also pretty sure the redub line is just... wrong. They're not going to send them screaming into the hereafter; the opening of the war involves the installation of neutron jammers not a frontal attack--they literally are going there to "deal a severe blow" to the planet's economy, not kill people and "send them screaming into the hereafter." And as even your other clip portrays, the genocidal intentions of ZAFT were not evident/widespread at the outset of the war, the whole point is about a continual cycle escalation which is a lot harder to sell if, as you seem to want, everyone's filled with bloodlust from the start--"dealing a severe blow" at the start of the war becomes "send them all screaming to the hereafter" by the end.

And just to emphasize that these changes are all over the script: Rau's "If we don't seize the moment now, later we'll pay with our lives for our reluctance to take action" becomes "If we let this chance slip away, then I assure you we will be paying for that failure with our very lives". Sure, both lines have to be padded out to match the mouths, but at least the original dub gets the real line out and just pads the end. It's phrased more actively and immediately--"seize the moment now" flowing right in to "we'll pay with our lives". The redub is flatter and meandering, "letting the chance slip away" then redundant words until we get to "we will be paying"--we will be paying? You think that's a better localization?--and the actual point doesn't come until the very end.

You have a clear affection for the version you saw first, but that's blinding you to its mediocrity. If NYAV Post ends up dubbing the movie, maybe they'll do a better job. I hope they do a better job, but that means I hope they're aware of the serious shortcomings of their redub, that it was a rush job and that wasn't what they intended to make.

Stelman257 wrote:
https://twitter.com/michelle_tan101/status/1356113287671328768
Like come on man. It’s fine if you prefer the original Ocean dub. But don’t you dare try and tell me the new NYAV post dub sounds bad.

Oof, that's the example you want to use? Are you sure about that? I'd just point out that in the original Patrick Zala actually sounds angry.

As someone who grew up with the Ocean dub, I just cannot agree that it's so much better than the new dub, or that the new dub is bad. I always find it fascinating when a new dub comes out and then everyone starts crapping on it and saying the original dub is so superior when it has tons of issues. For the old dub I’d agree that the main cast is pretty good but there are lots of problems with the old dub as well. First off a lot of the side characters are either bad or miscast. The original actors for Sai and Kuzzey, for example aren’t that good, Lt. Badgiruel is also pretty stilted early on. I also think Flay's original English VA sounds kind of weird, but that's mostly because I'm more familiar with her voicing Soma Pierres in Gundam 00. The ZAFT side is mostly good, but the voice actor they got for Nichol is god-awful, and completely miscast in the role, his acting is just awful. Casey Mongilo is so much better in the role. That’s not even mentioning how bad the audio mixing is for the series everyone sounds like there’s some kind of filter on their voices, it just sounds very tinny. Also to move on to Destiny, Shinn’s actor is very stilted, he does an excellent job with the screaming and crying, but the general acting for him is pretty weak, I do love Arthur’s British accent in the old dub, it reminds me of the days when every single English dub, needing someone putting on a fake British accent. However, I will say the voices of Murata Azrael, Rau la Creuset, and Mu La Flaga are perfect in the old dub, and I will hear no criticisms about them.

That’s not to say the new dub is perfect or anything I have my issues with it as well I think the actor for Athrun is miscast. Chris Hackney was great in Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes as Dimitri, but he just doesn’t sound right in the role. I think the acting for the character is way too breathy, and the actor is not speaking with his natural speaking voice. Also, Shinn sounds way too old in the new dub, like his voice is considerably deeper than anyone else’s in the show. Also, one aspect of the new dub that is considerably weaker is Lacus’s songs. First off in the old series, the freaking got Jillian Michaels, to sing the songs. She’s fantastic and her singing voice really makes you understand why everyone loves her songs. But the songs in the new English dub are just bad. I think Stephenie Sheh is a great actor I’ve enjoyed her in almost every role she’s done, and she does a fine job as Laccus, but her singing is just bad. She just cannot hit the notes that she needs to for Lacus’s songs and I can hear her voice constantly straining to sing the songs. It makes her status as a singer completely unbelievable, and she absolutely butchers Fields of Hope. The only song she sounds good singing is Emotion. I just think the new dub is just more consistently good, that being said I would not be opposed to getting the original cast back as I do have nostalgia for the old dub.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:00 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:
The original dub of SEED is so hamfisted and cringe-worthy in comparison that it's hard for anyone to look at it objectively because of the whole rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. It's the same for so many people with Gundam Wing, too. I'm sorry, but Le Creuset is NOT naturally sounding at all. His entire performance is overly theatrical, sorry. The same people complained about Char being recast, too. It's eye-roll worthy at this point.

I'm not saying it's a perfect dub but the cast put their heart and souls into their performance and did an amazing job embodying their characters, so it's still the SEED dub in my opinion, flaws and all.

And overly theatrical as it was, it was played with such finesse and talent.

I agree. I've only seen the original dub(I think I watched Destiny with fansubs as it aired), and enjoyed it just fine. I would probably accept that a newer dub is more "authentic" to the story/characters, but that doesn't mean it's something I'm ever going to go back to, I don't think. Meanwhile I've watched the dub of 00 half a dozen times and enjoyed that series much more than the Cosmic Era.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
zalminar wrote:
A lot

Clearly we hear, or rather, want to say we hear, very different things here. I don't agree with anything you've said and you obviously don't agree with a word I've said.
That's fine, you far prefer the old dub, where's I absolutely prefer the newer one.
zalminar wrote:
You have a clear affection for the version you saw first, but that's blinding you to its mediocrity.

I will call this out though. The first version I saw was the Japanese version. The first dubbed version I saw was the original Ocean dub. I'm not blinded by anything here haha.
Primus wrote:
That said, I think it's amusing to be criticizing nostalgia in a discussion about a movie that is specifically aimed at a nostalgic audience. This isn't a soft-reboot with our old heroes in generic mentor roles for a new generation. This isn't an entirely separate standalone story set in the Cosmic Era. It's a sequel to Destiny, with our lead once again being Kira. T.M. Revolution and See-Saw are on the soundtrack. The logo looks like it was made back when the movie was first announced.

Regardless of your opinion on NYAV's dub of these shows, the reality is that nobody's nostalgic for that version. They're too recent and have been given too limited of a release to make much head way against 16 years of Ocean's version being the only one. Destiny's re-dub is still Blu-Ray exclusive and given an earlier response in this thread, that clearly wasn't a well publicized release. Even the compilation films are still only available with the original cast (though, I would not be surprised if Freedom triggers a new re-release of those like they did in Japan). I suspect this movie will be the first time many will hear the re-dub's cast. A core part of this movie's appeal is nostalgia and for those checking out the dub, that will likely be missing. Of course, the answer is just to watch it in Japanese or not bother with it at all.

Oh I absolutely don't disagree and definitely see the irony in what I'm saying, and even the new redubs existing as they do altogether. But if I'm completely honest, Seed nostalgia to me has always been Japan's thing. Seed was no where near the phenomenon in the West that it was in Japan, that was Gundam Wing, and to a lesser extent, G-Gundam's thing in the West.
Yeah there will obviously be fans, some who have shown themselves in this thread, nostalgic for the old dub, but I think there's potentially just as many, if not more, that could be discovering the series through the new dub. And to me that's matters more than "nobody being nostalgic for this version". As far as fans outside Japan go, anyway.
zalminar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:47 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
However, I will say the voices of Murata Azrael, Rau la Creuset, and Mu La Flaga are perfect in the old dub, and I will hear no criticisms about them.

I generally agree, but this is the core of it to me--I'll gladly trade a better Sai, Kuzzey, and Nicol for a perfect Azrael, Rau, and Mu (and toss in a better Athrun for good measure). I don't really care what Kuzzey sounds like one way or the other; I do care that I don't believe nu-Mu for a second when he says he'll make the impossible possible. The script changes seal the deal; even the similar performances (Natarle towards the end) are undercut by really stilted or tonally misplaced dialogue (e.g. "You're a beast that must be put down, and I'm going to do it" in the new dub instead of "You're a monster who deserves to die, right here with me" from the original).

"Stelman257" wrote:
I'm not blinded by anything here haha.

Well, nothing aside from [REMOVED] I guess. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Stelman257 wrote:
but I think there's potentially just as many, if not more, that could be discovering the series through the new dub. And to me that's matters more than "nobody being nostalgic for this version". As far as fans outside Japan go, anyway.

This is the tragedy of the English SEED fan--all this revitalization of the franchise and it's being squandered here.

Moderator's note: Post revised. Cool it down, both of you. Just because someone is, or seems to be, insulting or rude to you -- that is not cause to insult or be rude to them in turn. Rule #1, folks.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
(removed)

Last edited by Gem-Bug on Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
zalminar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:44 am Reply with quote
I apologize for crossing the line, it was uncalled for.

I was excited for the remastered blurays when they were announced, cautiously optimistic about the new dub cast even (Stephanie Sheh! Carrie Keranen!). But the result was a disappointment, so many of the things that made the original show so charming, many of the things that drew me and fellow fans into the story, that got us excited, were gutted. Well, we still have the original dub (and the subs), so whatever, even if the prospects for an English version of the movie look grim. But it's still incredibly disappointing, with the increased attention on SEED again, to find people saying how they like the show so much better when all the bits you loved are taken out or sanded away. And for what? some gratuitous fanservice, lazily up-scaled jpegs, and a couple better bit parts? It profits a franchise nothing to sell their dub for the world, but for fanservice!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:09 am Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
Back to the main point, the issue I had with Freedom is that spoiler[a character who, up until now had been rarely if ever sexualized (namely Lacus), is put in a skintight plug suit and pilots a mecha with a cockpit straight out of Cross Ange--i.e., putting the character in the doggy-style position--with a camera that enjoys getting shots of her T&A.] The cockpit design, the flight suit design, and the camera work are all solely for titillation and feel completely at odds with the rest of the anime and its design.

I feel like maybe you're forgetting Destiny's eye catch scene showing off her boobs in a super revealing wedding dress style dress that played every single episode. Sure, that isn't a real scene, but they were flaunting her as a hot waifu character every episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3