• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Volume 1 in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
first "Holy Catholic Church of Anime." I found that hilarious. Though I prefer the "First Church of Christian Otaku" myself.

Now about the video, for all the talk about Bandai trying to make itself look big and powerful because of the product placement, I have also seen one of Bandai's overseas offices While I worked for Hasbro Games (and I mean photos not an actual trip there) And they have gundams there too. It's one of their properties now so they can advertise it the way they want and two having a 5-6 ft tall gundam in your lobby would be extremely awesome IMO. Heck I had Star Wars X-Wings and stuff flying over my head in my cubicle at Hasbro.

Third, Anybody also notice that these bonus videos are available for BT download? Kinda debunks the BT is evil talk I was reading. (so they are putyting these videos out for dl and including them on DVD, makes me happy)
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
In sum, if Kyon's voice actor sucks, I won't shell out any money for the DVDs.

Dude, anime is not a right, it's a privilege.

You downloaded it, you watched it, you liked it - you buy it. They don't owe you anything, you owe them. And they certainly don't need your approval when choosing voice actors... if you don't like their choices, tune in to the Japanese language track. Like you did when you downloaded it.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:
In sum, if Kyon's voice actor sucks, I won't shell out any money for the DVDs.

Dude, anime is not a right, it's a privilege.

You downloaded it, you watched it, you liked it - you buy it. They don't owe you anything, you owe them. And they certainly don't need your approval when choosing voice actors... if you don't like their choices, tune in to the Japanese language track. Like you did when you downloaded it.

Amen, Comrade!
strongbad123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I really think this is the best ad campaign for any anime I've seen. Bandai has opened it's eyes and realized that it needs to appeal to the core anime fan, rather than try to branch out and go mainstream (something that can only happen naturally).
I'm not a huge fan of the series, I liked it, but I dont think it's the greatest thing ever, but I would consider picking it up, just because I'm sure it's going to have some great extras.
And I think Malintex is completely overanalyzing the videos posted on the ASOS website. First of all the videos aren't some sort of conspiracy to hypnotize the already completely fanatical Harautards. Second, why wouldn't a company who's losing money from fansubs take the time to address the issue when the people watching the video are the people watching the fansubs. Anime companies are there to make money just like every other company. I don't see why people get upset when they realize that anime companies aren't like fansub groups.
But i digress, I'm not going to change your mind, seems like its already made up.
bennyb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Will people please stop encouraging Terek, the dude just wants attention. Maybe we should all pitch in and get him a mail-order bride or something? Poor guy must be lonely.

I think the acknowledgement of fansubs without condemning is pretty [expletive] cool coming from a company staking top dollar for what was probably a pricy investment. Kanpai Bandai!
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Any word on what order the episodes are being released in?
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Bandai needs to shell out the money for giant billboard ads of this show (the "mysterious" SOS sign, the H, and then an actual title featuing some of the main characters). And maybe find a way to take over the big screen in Times Square (a countdown, followed by the SOS symbol, clips of the show, and then finally the Haruhi dance). Then it'll be the best damn ad campaign for any anime program.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:

there is a poll on the asosbrigade site for that now.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
JELEINEN wrote:

Note, however, that the poll is carefully worded and promises nothing. TMoHS is Kadokawa's title; they'll do what they see fit. The poll is probably in place to assist in making a decision, but it won't decide it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:

Yes, when I earn as comfortable a wage as you do from this website, I'm sure twenty dollars will be little more than a drop in a bucket for my future self. As a person who lives on only a couple dollars per day, I do admit I am quite jealous of those so wealthy they only have to sacrifice excess money when purchasing a luxurious good such as a DVD.

To say the least, frugality is virtuous in the classical and modern sense; I would only be inclined to only put forth funds for something I "cannot live without"; suffice to say, allocating a DVD into such a category is quite an exaggeration, but I would be a fool to waste even a penny on something extraneous that I did not love wholly.

This post convinces me you're a gimmick.

Admittedly a hilarious gimmick, but still.

Like the broadcast order of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but possibly more enjoyable?

spoiler[Sorry, I couldn't resist.]

strongbad123 wrote:
I really think this is the best ad campaign for any anime I've seen. Bandai has opened it's eyes and realized that it needs to appeal to the core anime fan...

I would sincerely hope that this doesn't become a common practice for those uber-popular cartoons coming out of Japan, though. I mean, outside of the initial announcement that Kadokawa USA and Bandai were both handling the series, I've never really been caught up in all of the excitement and "little details" that Bandai continually put out on the site. It was cute and all, but the end results are going to end up the same for the most part regardless of what little "code" can be cracked on a website, or the votes that are put into the various polls that they've put up. Certain details like the release order of the episodes are important to the major fanbase, yeah, so it's important to keep the fans in mind when creating the product, but the end result should be mostly influenced by the companies involved.

I dunno, maybe I'm just too pessimistic about all this. The whole set of announcements come off as a large gimmick, and the typical fan like myself that would buy the series even if Bandai announced all of this at a con or in a press release would still go ahead with shelling out the money for it.

NGE1113 wrote:
Stullz wrote:
JELEINEN wrote:

Note, however, that the poll is carefully worded and promises nothing. TMoHS is Kadokawa's title; they'll do what they see fit. The poll is probably in place to assist in making a decision, but it won't decide it.

Personally I suspect that Bandai is going to go for two seperate releases. The first one with individual volumes would contain either the broadcast or chronological order, with the complete set being the one that gone with for the sepereate DVDs.

Though if they don't release the series in the broadcast order, I can see a lot of whiny fans boycotting the release because "TMoHS wouldn't be as good." Rolling Eyes
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJdEJ_JYek
LOL thats freakin awesome.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Cool! Only...3 months away ^^;. I will definetly support the Haruhi DVD release.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HellKorn"][quote="Zac"]
Malintex Terek wrote:

Though if they don't release the series in the broadcast order, I can see a lot of whiny fans boycotting the release because "TMoHS wouldn't be as good." :roll:

If they go chronological only, I'll still buy the DVDs, but likely will just keep the fansubs for actually watching it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:
If they go chronological only, I'll still buy the DVDs, but likely will just keep the fansubs for actually watching it.

It would be possible to just skip around with the DVDs once you have them all, even if it would be more of a problem to do so, unless you want the previews for the next episode to stay the same.

But my comments aren't really so much at someone like you who will support the series regardless, but to the "fans" who justify not buying it should it not be released in the gimmick order that it was originally shown in.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... I hear about this whole broadcast order thing, and it's probably gonna look like this to me:

I'll watch in whatever order they come on the DVDs given that DVD-watching shouldn't be a pain-in-the-ass experience...

But yeah... for all we know, they might just author the...

No, wait... that isn't possible given the fact that there are multiple DVDs... so, nevermind.
As for the gimmickey-ness of the whole ASOS Brigade... I have to admit that I'm completely taken in... I'm always in anticipation as to when the next episode is coming out.
And Patricia Lee is really cute.

And as someone who hasn't actually seen the show before, this sort of thing realky helps get me psyched up... it's rare that I find myself this excited for something that I have not only not seen before, but is also a non-Madhouse-related project...

It works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4