• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 73-Hour, 46-DVD Galactic Heroes Box Offered in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Forgetting about the steep price for a moment...Where in the world am I going to store this thing? The crates I have are overflowing now and taking up a lot of space (that's why I do torrents). I don't have the room for a DVD trunk; and neither do most Japanese, for that matter.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quote
oh.. my.. goodness.. I'm nose bleeding to death here... Shocked Shocked Shocked

With the 25% discount given for pre-orders at Amazon Japan, it's ¥187,500 (excludes shipping). Even after the discount, I can only weep for I still do not have the financial resources to buy this complete boxset Anime cry
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
I've always hated the fact you can only buy the reanimated version of LOGH on dvd.

If your a purist, save your money and buy the laserdiscs which have all the original animation.

Having seen both, I strongly disagree. The few scenes that got changed ended up matching better and fixed some errors (they were re-animated to correct mistakes made by a studio it was farmed out to) and over all it just looks a heck of a lot better.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:
Having seen both, I strongly disagree. The few scenes that got changed ended up matching better and fixed some errors (they were re-animated to correct mistakes made by a studio it was farmed out to) and over all it just looks a heck of a lot better.

Actually, more than a few scenes have been changed... and while animation-wise the remastered version does look much better than the original, the new character designs are quite different from the original ones which is most apparent throughout the first two seasons. It's not horribly jarring or out-of-place, but the transition between remastered and original is not always smooth, and it is a bit distracting to see the characters look old-school in one scene and all shiny and CG in another.

Here's a side by side comparison - with HUGE SPOILERS for episode 26. Don't look if you haven't seen episode 26 yet!
jcaliff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

I also remember in the late 80s a few CDV (not VCD) were released for Laserdisc owners. These were analog video and digital audio (the same coding as Laser Discs) stored on CDs. There were as far as I know only a handful in existence since I think they only held a few minutes of data. I bought the Galactic Heroes OP sequence for a good amount of cash (I don't remember the price, maybe 2000Y) along with the 2 BGC ones. That came out to roughly $400 and hour if my math is correct (was about 3min.) which is far worse than the $30 an hour ratio..

I have the first season LD box set. The CDV containing the opening and ending was a bonus item that came with the box, along with a phone card and a small notebook with character/mecha/costume designs.

If I can save up the cash, I will seriously buy the upcoming Japanese box set. The time to start saving is now. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
One thing about the series is that you will find as many Yang avatars as Reinhard avatars. This is truly one of the only shows that has my friends split evenly between both sides of the conflict. Gundam Seed tried, but it turned out to be a everyone are idiots scenario. In LOGH I love so many of the characters on both sides. Although there are more characters that I like from the Empire, Yang and Julian are my favorites.
Area88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:
Your welcome to your opinion but I was of the belief that certain scenes were reanimated due to heavy print damage. Also I very much doubt that the first season of LOGH at least, was outsourced considering OVA's are almost always done by the main studios themselves.

I also have to disagree about the changes being for the better. I've seen websites on the internet that do great comparison shots and some of the changes are absolutly horrible. Backgrounds look more plain and less detailed, tons of cheap CGI pans, buckets of unncessary blood added in. Then there's the horrible contrast in character designs because they inserted a late 90's style to an already very 80's looking show, it simply didn't work. It's less noticeable with later seasons because the shows character designs have been adapted at that point.

Also were not just talking about one or two scenes here, they reanimated dozens of scenes in almost every episode throughout the first season.
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Backgrounds look more plain and less detailed, tons of cheap CGI pans, buckets of unncessary blood added in.

Actually, in my opinion most backgrounds do look better. Awkward or nonexistent perspectives have been corrected (as can be seen from the side by side comparison I linked above), and there's more attention paid to details that had to be skipped at the original time of the production for time or budget constraints. Interior designs (even inside shots of cars!), technology, etc. are much easier on the eye. The colors also look better, even in the otherwise untouched scenes.

My problem is with the character designs - they're just too different from the original designs. Of course, I like the fact that the characters look much more consistent (bye-bye distorted faces! - well, most of the time), and it's obviously impossible to re-create the original style for the remastering, but the difference is distracting, and the new faces don't always fit the characters either (most obviously Yang and Kircheis). Plus, I don't like the new designs - with the exception of a few chararacters (most notably Reuenthal) - the designs don't work as well as the originals do. They're too shiny and too CG, and lack any elegance and delicateness0.

So yeah, the new character designs are certainly a negative point. But then, the original's problems are also a negative point - I love this show, but the first two seasons are sometimes painful to look at. So in my opinion unless one really can't bear to look at the newer chara designs, they're not enough reason to give up a DVD boxset. If one can afford it, anyway.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Is there a Layaway plan? Geez
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd seen around 40 or 50 eps and movies when the VHS fansubs stopped a long time ago. spoiler[IIRC, this OVA series' LD releases was so long the main VA (Yang Wen-Li?) died before the series ended.]

[EDIT: Please use spoiler tags. -TK]
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I'd seen around 40 or 50 eps and movies when the VHS fansubs stopped a long time ago. spoiler[ IIRC, this OVA series' LD releases was so long the main VA (Yang Wen-Li?) died before the series ended.
]

Jesus christ dude cut that out.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
I'd seen around 40 or 50 eps and movies when the VHS fansubs stopped a long time ago. spoiler[ IIRC, this OVA series' LD releases was so long the main VA (Yang Wen-Li?) died before the series ended.
]

I don't see how thats a spolier. But regardless, this show looks intresting. I looked it up, and i'm sad to see theres no R1 release. Is there no way to get this other than fansubs? I speak a little japanese but not enough to watch a whole show.

this boxset looks tempting and I haven't even seen the show yet. I'd love to have this in my collection taking up like three shelves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
I'd seen around 40 or 50 eps and movies when the VHS fansubs stopped a long time ago. spoiler[ IIRC, this OVA series' LD releases was so long the main VA (Yang Wen-Li?) died before the series ended.]

The VA's death is a spoiler now? OK, people should avoid the obituaries from now on then, though that would suck for the relatives. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3