• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Persona 4 The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhys1223

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
While I'm happy Persona 4 is already getting liscensed by an American company... eh. Would have prefered Funi to have picked it up.

I could live with and would purchase the dvds however, if they even just brought back the original VAs for Kanji, Yusuke, and Adachi/MC. The rest they could recast if they like, but Kanji especially was spot on in his performance. That's looking highly unlikely however.

Last edited by Rhys1223 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sentai is Texas based

Ummm...so is Funimation.....Flower Mound, Texas to be exact.

RyanSaotome wrote:
And it did say it was getting a dub if you know how Sentai works.

DVD = Sub only
DVD + BD = Dub

I'm not used to buying Blu-rays so I didn't know that releasing a Blu-ray means auto-dub. My bad on that part.

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny seeing people not interested just because the dub wont have the game actors. Truth be told, Persona's 4 English cast was pretty mediocre compared to the original (as well as the script.. but then I'm against honorifics in dubs)

I wonder if people will complain when they find out they don't use the edited dialog/names in the anime either. Hopefully Sentai dubs it straight and doesn't try to match the game's English version.

Last edited by TitanXL on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
If Sentai bothered getting Bang Zoom to do the Rozen Maiden OVA dub (only 2 episodes of an anime title I would consider a good deal more obscure than Persona 4), I'd say there's a decent-good chance of them getting some-all of the original dub cast back. As Rukiaa pointed out, FUNimation is also Texas-based, but they've gotten non-Texas VAs all the time.

Regardless, I'll definitely get this even if it lacks a dub altogether, I'm greatly looking forward to this series as I love the game.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's kind of funny seeing people not interested just because the dub wont have the game actors. Truth be told, Persona's 4 English cast was pretty mediocre compared to the original (as well as the script.. but then I'm against honorifics in dubs)

I wonder if people will complain when they find out they don't use the edited dialog/names in the anime either. Hopefully Sentai dubs it straight and doesn't try to match the game's English version.

You know how fickle anime fans are. Any excuse to not purchase something or be interested in something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Your pretty alone on that opinion. Most fans (myself included) loved the dub for Persona 4(it was sure better than P3's dub). I just hope Sentai understands there;s big demand for it
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I just hope Sentai understands there;s big demand for it

They got back the original cast for Rozen Maiden, did they not? I am pretty sure they will look into getting the original cast back for Persona 4.

Last edited by Rukiia on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Rhys1223 wrote:
While I'm happy Persona 4 is already getting liscensed by an American company... eh. Would have prefered Funi to have picked it up.

I could live with and would purchase the dvds however, if they even just brought back the original VAs for Kanji, Yusuke, and Adachi/MC. The rest they could recast if they like, but Kanji especially was spot on in his performance. That's looking highly unlikely however.

As I understand the dub and script for most Persona games are pretty faithful(by faithful I mean keeping with the idea the characters are in Japan still speaking in a Japanese manner(honorifics/titles) but just with English as the spoken language) after the localization fiasco of Persona 1. I can't really imagine Funimation being able to produce a dub that would meet the level of faithfulness ATLUS seems to be after.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Wow. People bitch when something doesn't get dubbed and when something DOES get a dub, and a Blu-ray, you people STILL bitch about it? Again, wow. Be happy that this series is even getting an English release.

Some fans....I swear.... -_-

I, on the other hand, am happy that this series got picked up - dub or no dub.

I think its because everyone pretty much expected Funimation to pick it up, which would all but guarantee the original dub cast. When you play a game for like 100 hours, you get used to the voices and hearing new voices really throws you off, so its not odd for people to want the voices they know for the characters.

And don't think its only ANN like this. I've seen this news posted on 4 different sites, and the reaction is the same. Its a pretty big disappointment all around for fans of the original game.

Why would Funimation license it? Trinity Soul was licensed by NIS America and the majority of Funimation's recent and upcoming releases are fanservice heavy (often harem) series. Granted I've never played Persona 4 but judging from trailers of the anime it doesn't sound like something Funimation would license at this point. Also considering the fact that a noticeable chunk of anime isn't dubbed (Trinity Soul included) I wonder why people would assume this would receive a dub. Confused
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Why would Funimation license it? Trinity Soul was licensed by NIS America and the majority of Funimation's recent and upcoming releases are fanservice heavy (often harem) series. Granted I've never played Persona 4 but judging from trailers of the anime it doesn't sound like something Funimation would license at this point. Also considering the fact that a noticeable chunk of anime isn't dubbed (Trinity Soul included) I wonder why people would assume this would receive a dub. Confused

Its a very popular JRPG in America with one of the best dubs a JRPG has ever gotten. Why WOULDN'T it receive a dub? Its already been announced its being dubbed anyway, since its getting a BD release and all Sentai BDs have dubs.

And pro tip: Its got a harem.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Also considering the fact that a noticeable chunk of anime isn't dubbed (Trinity Soul included) I wonder why people would assume this would receive a dub. Confused

Because, as RyanSaotome said above, it is getting a Blu-ray release and they dub all their shows that they give a Blu-ray release to. I took a look at all their Blu-ray releases and he is right.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Your pretty alone on that opinion. Most fans (myself included) loved the dub for Persona 4(it was sure better than P3's dub). I just hope Sentai understands there;s big demand for it

Considering most people probably only played the English game, that's not surprising. But I agree with RyanSaotome.. the original has a fantastic cast which I always preferred to the English one (and really wished there was a Japanese option) Yeah, it was better than Persona 3, but that's not a very high bar to reach to be honest. It's not a terrible dub, but it just seems weird to trash the anime over it. I guess it's nostalgia... like people who would probably boycot a Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon redub that was more faithful if the original actors weren't in it or something.

Video game anime in general always get judged unfairly by Western audiences. They usually forget the games can sometimes be edited/mistranslated like a bad anime dub or something. Then act surprised when the anime isn't much like the game and bash it. I can't think of too many examples of video game that were hacked in the English version (Gyakuten Saiban [Ace Attourney] only has a manga, which isn't licensed to my knowledge) and got an anime, but it's something to keep in mind.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I would have thought since Trinity Soul kind of fizzled out in terms of sales, we wouldn't be getting this at all. Gotta say I am impressed, and I will be picking it up, old cast or no.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could say that I was above finding immature behavior amusing. I can't.

I'm sorry, ANN.

Seeing the words "elitist penises" made me giggle like a loon.

I dislike outright insulting others myself, but I must say that I find e-peen b****fests quite amusing.

[Mod Edit: Referenced posts have been removed. - Keonyn]

...Oh, yeah, Persona 4. Uh, never played the games, and I'm completely unfamiliar with it. Whether it has a dub or not doesn't bother me, even if I decide I'm interested in picking it up.

Good work, Sentai.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
First of all, here is what we know for certain: the show starts airing in Japan on October 6th. This means it will likely be one of Anime Network's simulcasts for the season. It may also air on Hulu, and possibly end up on PSN like High School of The Dead did.

Secondly, we know it is getting a bluray release next year. So far Sentai has only released dubbed shows on bluray. They've even said they aren't interested in doing sub-only blurays at the present time. Of course that could have changed, but it likely means that the bluray will be dubbed.

I'd give the chances of the video game cast being used at 50%. In fact, I'd say it's more likely that Sentai would use the original cast than if Funimation had got it. Has everyone already forgot Trigun Badlands? They didn't even bother getting most of the cast back for that one, and it's only 1 movie. What makes you think they would fly the entire cast to Texas for a 25 episode series? (And yes, Funimation is in Texas, NOT California.) The only time Funi has really done that was Slayers, and even then it was not the entire original cast. They haven't done it since. Remember, we still don't know the dubbing status of shows like Black Lagoon, Hellsing, and Shana.

ADV had a mixed track record on this in the past as well. The Slayers movies were mostly recast, as was Comic Part Remix. However, they did outsource the dub for Ah My Goddess Season 2 to NYAV Post, and the YUA Movies to Coastal Carolina. Sentai also recently contracted Bang Zoom for the Rozen Maiden OVA, and ADV used them in the past for a few shows as well.

The chances of them looking into using the original dub cast is about 100%. Whether or not it actually happens will depend on a number of factors, likely including the success of the streams and how it influences their budget for the show, and whether they can reach a deal with a West Coast studio like Bang Zoom. If they do decide to utilize the original cast, it would likely be more cost and time effective for them to outsource it rather than fly all the actors to Houston. So this is why I believe it's about 50/50.

Also, I don't know why someone would say Sentai was struggling. They don't dub less popular and more niche shows, but at least they're releasing them unlike Funimation who simply passes them over. They've increased the number of dubs their producing. Unlike everyone else in R1, including Funimation, they can actually hit their street dates and they don't need to reschedule shows four or five times (like Funi and Rosario + Vampire or Media Blasters and just about everything they release). And now they are doing several simulcasts every season, and actually confirming they've licensed the shows, unlike Funimation. Being smart about what shows to sink your resources into isn't really sign of a struggling company, and if it were than you would have to say that all the R1 distributors are on death's door.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7