• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Appleseed: Ex Machina

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote
I can easily understand why one wouldn't like the character style of Appleseed, but it was one of my favorite parts about the first movie. The characters looked better on Ex Machina.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken: You're not really being fair, since you forgot to include the FMV from FF7; nor is that the actual art used in most of the game, either.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ikillchicken: You're not really being fair, since you forgot to include the FMV from FF7; nor is that the actual art used in most of the game, either.

Isn't this a moot point, anyway?
Regardless of whether it's FMV, Concept art, Cutscene or in-game footage being compared - The principal characters in Advent Children were all redesigned in fairly large ways compared to how they appeared in the game, with perhaps the exception of Sephiroth (who only had some minor changes done) and the Turks.

Besides, I thought Zac's comments were speaking more in terms of the animation and general feel rather than the design or quality of graphical representation. Static fingers, muted expressions and 'spottability-of-animation-bones' are all characteristic of Videogame cutscenes due to budget/time/priority issues - these sort of issues clearly don't belong in a feature-length movie.

A large part of the videogame comparisons were also in reference to the format of the plot towards the end - It's obvious to anyone that Films and Games should at least follow different principles in regard to plot structure.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

You're nitpicking. Fine then, lets look at the FMV or whatever else you prefer. I would say it looks worse than the game art, but whatever. Clearly it is no where near advent chidren.

Earth_Wyrm summed things up quite well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
Wyrm:
Quote:
Static fingers, muted expressions and 'spottability-of-animation-bones' are all characteristic of Videogame cutscenes due to budget/time/priority issues - these sort of issues clearly don't belong in a feature-length movie.

That's a bigger problem on the American side of CG than the Japanese side, since animators in the latter country care about fluidity, while our animators blow money on realism. For example, that CG teaser for RE: Degeneration I found off Anime Nation looks way more alive than most of Beowulf.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

That's a bigger problem on the American side of CG than the Japanese side, since animators in the latter country care about fluidity, while our animators blow money on realism. For example, that CG teaser for RE: Degeneration I found off Anime Nation looks way more alive than most of Beowulf.

This is really not true at all. American-produced CG films are much more advanced in terms of technique and realism. I would say there isn't any other country in the world that's producing CG animated films at the level America is, and that's basically always the way it's been. 99 percent of the Japanese-animated CG films I've seen are still using chopped-up framerates as a way to save money; Freedom and Appleseed: Ex Machina are no exception to that. It looks choppy, cheap, and amateur. CG isn't really like traditional animation at all. It's very difficult to cut frames out to save on rendering time (and money) without it being painfully obvious and ultimately hurting the final product, which is what all of these films seem to do.

I realize you have some bizarro bone to pick with Beowulf, but if you can honestly look at literally ANY of Pixar's films and tell me that any CG anime has managed to reach that level of pure skill, nuance and technical ability in terms of computer animation, then you have a really crappy eye for what good animation is, seriously.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
This is really not true at all. American-produced CG films are much more advanced in terms of technique and realism.

I can agree with you, if you mean that the technique involves realistic talking cartoon animals. But for genuine atmosphere and emotion, the Japanese have it in the bag.

Quote:
I would say there isn't any other country in the world that's producing CG animated films at the level America is, and that's basically always the way it's been.

Um, no, that's not the way it's always been, since at one point, the best we could come up with was Plan 9 From Outer Space and Robby the Robot.

Quote:
99 percent of the Japanese-animated CG films I've seen are still using chopped-up framerates as a way to save money;

The Empire Strikes Back did the same thing. What's your point?

Quote:
It looks choppy, cheap, and amateur.

The same can be said for Shrek.

Quote:
I realize you have some bizarro bone to pick with Beowulf, but if you can honestly look at literally ANY of Pixar's films and tell me that any CG anime has managed to reach that level of pure skill, nuance and technical ability in terms of computer animation,

Um, actually the Pixar people hate Beowulf, too, and use the same arguments against it as myself. My personal issue with it is it lacks a sense of illusion. [I.E. You can probably tell where they pulled the strings.] And having the skill to paint isn't the same as having the skill to effectively tell a story, which is why the company's desperately mining material from "Doc Holiday" and "Short Circuit"-since they've effectively tapped the "30s cartoon homages in 3-d" well dry.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can agree with you, if you mean that the technique involves realistic talking cartoon animals. But for genuine atmosphere and emotion, the Japanese have it in the bag.

Nope, though this is not surprising coming from you and frankly hearing you compare anime to anything is pointless since you've made it incredibly obvious that your point of view is likely the most bias of this board and any other anime board I've ever been to. The Japanese do not have it in the bag, heck, FF7:AC didn't pull it off for atmosphere or emotion in the least. I see far more emotion and atmosphere in Ratatouille and The Incredibles and Monster House than I see in the likes of AC.

Quote:
The Empire Strikes Back did the same thing. What's your point?

Wow, a film over 2 decades old, kudos to you for making a piss poor point as usual.

Quote:
The same can be said for Shrek.

Shrek was many things, but choppy and cheap and amateur aren't one of them.

Quote:
Um, actually the Pixar people hate Beowulf, too, and use the same arguments against it as myself. My personal issue with it is it lacks a sense of illusion. [I.E. You can probably tell where they pulled the strings.] And having the skill to paint isn't the same as having the skill to effectively tell a story, which is why the company's desperately mining material from "Doc Holiday" and "Short Circuit"-since they've effectively tapped the "30s cartoon homages in 3-d" well dry.

I should hope you can tell where they pulled the strings since it was all motion capture and I should hope you're familiar enough with anatomy to recognize where joints bend, if not then what very minor tiny miniscule of faith I have in you may be misplaced. I also find it funny you point the finger at US companies for rehashing ideas, remaking and using common themes when I could easily argue anime is just as cliche and redundant if not more so than US film.

Let me do you a favor GATSU, I'm going to write your future posts for you and from now on you can just copy and paste this since it cuts right to the point of your posts and point of view rather than beating around the bush:

"I love anime so much I can not establish an objective viewpoint regarding US animation. I hate anything produced in the US and think anime and the japanese are infinitely better in every way. I am so bias that anything I was going to say in this post isn't worth reading because it is based on that biased opinion which I have decided to present as fact without any real support behind it. I also use this biased opinion to make baseless claims, accusations and attacks on US industry with great frequency. I also can not recognize any faults anime might have making any possibility of real discussion pointless."

I hope that helps you out bud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
The Japanese do not have it in the bag, heck, FF7:AC didn't pull it off for atmosphere or emotion in the least. I see far more emotion and atmosphere in Ratatouille and The Incredibles and Monster House than I see in the likes of AC.

Sure, the Pixar films had brighter color schemes, but AC had a sense of involvement in the situation and setting.

Quote:
Wow, a film over 2 decades old, kudos to you for making a piss poor point as usual.

A film which is considered a classic after being over two decades old was my point.

Quote:
Shrek was many things, but choppy and cheap and amateur aren't one of them.

That's your opinion. It was definitely considered sub-par to even Pixar enthusiasts, just like most of the CG films at that company.

Quote:
I should hope you can tell where they pulled the strings since it was all motion capture

Motion capture doesn't always mean "let's drag the image with an arrow" on a computer. Roger Avary was arguing that that kind of thing had been done since Snow White, but the models in Snow White were clearly used as references for the final product, not the final product in themselves. Even I'm going to concede that for Pixar.

Quote:
and I should hope you're familiar enough with anatomy to recognize where joints bend,

Yes, and too bad that was an exaggeration of said physiology.

Quote:
I also find it funny you point the finger at US companies for rehashing ideas, remaking and using common themes when I could easily argue anime is just as cliche and redundant if not more so than US film.

At least the Japanese side occasionally tries to do something different with the material, or take it in a new direction. The American side just changes the setting.

Quote:
I love anime so much I can not establish an objective viewpoint regarding US animation. I hate anything produced in the US and think anime and the japanese are infinitely better in every way.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to my admiration for people like John K. No, I don't hate anything produced in the U.S., just whatever comes off more corporate than creative.

[/quote]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure, the Pixar films had brighter color schemes, but AC had a sense of involvement in the situation and setting.

AC had more involvement than the Incredibles and Monsters Inc and the like?

Quote:
A film which is considered a classic after being over two decades old was my point.

It's easier for people to forgive the low technical merits of something over 20 years old than something that came out yesterday.

Quote:
That's your opinion. It was definitely considered sub-par to even Pixar enthusiasts, just like most of the CG films at that company.

The opinion of most out there really in the industry. So Pixar enthusiasts didn't like the technical merits of a domestic CG fil in direct competition with Pixar? Wow, color me surprised. Is Shrek Pixar caliber? No. The first Shrek was also significantly lower than its sequels on a technical level as well. But choppy, cheap and amateur? Even taking in to account that it is not as good as what Pixar produces those terms don't really seem to apply. It's an opinion shared by most who view the industry from an objective point of view rather than "OMG I didn't like the story so it all sucks" or in the way you do; "OMG, an American company was involved so it all sucks!"

Quote:
Motion capture doesn't always mean "let's drag the image with an arrow" on a computer. Roger Avary was arguing that that kind of thing had been done since Snow White, but the models in Snow White were clearly used as references for the final product, not the final product in themselves. Even I'm going to concede that for Pixar.

It's a heck of a lot different now than it was then. They used them as reference at that time, motion capture now pretty much means the computer detects the movements and applies it directly to the performance of the 3D avatar. The animators are mostly responsible for creating that avatar and cleaning up the actions.

Quote:
At least the Japanese side occasionally tries to do something different with the material, or take it in a new direction. The American side just changes the setting.

Oh yeah, the likes of AC and Appleseed were such incredibly new and innovative concepts. I'm so glad someone out there was able to think of something so groundbreakingly original. Please, give it a rest already.

Quote:
You obviously haven't been paying attention to my admiration for people like John K. No, I don't hate anything produced in the U.S., just whatever comes off more corporate than creative.

Fine, so your hatred is directed toward the industry, regardless your bias is pretty extreme and to the point I frankly can't even take you seriously. Frankly bud, your posts are more comic relief than anything with the sheer absurdity of your claims.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
petran79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:36 am Reply with quote
My main issue with US CGI movies is not the quality but rather the age group they're targetting and the usual clicheed stories and the multi-million budgets. I recognize the tremendous potential.

I prefer films for a more mature audience that employ CGI, like "A Scanner Darkly" or "Waking Life"

The French animated film "Renaissance" features also an excellent use of CGI and rotoscoping techniques and also the children's movie "Azur and Asmar" has some unique touches in animation

As for Appleseed, the movies do the excellent manga a great injustice and after the old OVA and the 2004 movie I watched, I am not interested in them anymore.
Sarahtdl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
There's a romantic angle in this one? SWEET! I love the way Deunan and Briareos play off each other as a couple in the manga, and their general lack of emotion toward each other except for those horrifically forced scenes (even though the plot clearly stated they were involved. -eyeroll-) in the first movie annoyed me to no end.

Agreed. To me the great strength of the manga was how they interacted as a couple. We had moments of serious tender stuff, but even more of a pair of people deeply in love that were goofing and grumbling on each other...it always reminded me of how me and my husband are. I missed that greatly in #1, and I'm thrilled to see they did it in Machina.

MH Knights wrote:

In fact one thing that is annoying me about modern anime is that so many directors/writers/producers feel they need to cram long winded philosophy into their stories. Most of the time it feels out of place and grinds the pacing to a halt. Its nice to get inside a character's head and find out what makes them tick but do we need them to spend ten minutes quoting a "101" level textbook? No. Rambling on and on doesn't make your show smarter or deeper, it does the opposite.

I like some of the philsophical stuff in anime (I always loved Ghost in the shell for that reason, and I adored Innocence) But I agree, sometimes you just want a fun action flick.

Action flick, in my opinion, doesn't mean bad flick. You can have well developed characters and interesting plot and still blow things up a lot. I always loved Appleseed for ballancing these things well, and there are other anime that do it to.

Heck, I still pull out my old copy of Big Trouble in Little China for movie night. No deep philosophy there, but a lot of fun.

I think that the key is ballancing what the film is trying to do with the way it does it. You make a great point about philosophical anime being too long winded sometimes. And one can also show through the actions of the characters and their interactions "What makes a person human" more effectively than having a character talk about it for an hour.

Last edited by Sarahtdl on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:

AC had more involvement than the Incredibles and Monsters Inc and the like?

Pixar films are generally about showing off more than about pushing the limits of the medium.

Quote:
It's easier for people to forgive the low technical merits of something over 20 years old than something that came out yesterday.

People forgave Sith. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
So Pixar enthusiasts didn't like the technical merits of a domestic CG fil in direct competition with Pixar? Wow, color me surprised.

No, they just don't see any technical merits in DW titles. The only stuff they got hard for was from Nick Park.

Quote:
But choppy, cheap and amateur? Even taking in to account that it is not as good as what Pixar produces those terms don't really seem to apply.

Sure it applies, because it's like every other Disney musical, but in CG.

Quote:
It's an opinion shared by most who view the industry from an objective point of view rather than "OMG I didn't like the story so it all sucks" or in the way you do; "OMG, an American company was involved so it all sucks!"

I don't mind American companies getting involved, as long as they're willing to do something different. That hasn't been the case for a while, though.

Quote:
Oh yeah, the likes of AC and Appleseed were such incredibly new and innovative concepts.

AC was able to bring a video game into a realistic setting without having to dumb down the special effects or cut out important parts of the story. Appleseed actually incorporated CG mech into the story, instead of just in the background like that Gundam special.
While I wouldn't call that new or innovative, either, it was definitely a step in a new direction for FX.
p3rseus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Do they include in the DVD, how they made the movie, like the software they used and their work flow and such? I do some 3D and that would greatly interest me. I also love the look they managed to achieve with this movie, definately much better than the first. Hopefully circuitcity gets the DVD soon.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
AC was able to bring a video game into a realistic setting without having to dumb down the special effects or cut out important parts of the story. Appleseed actually incorporated CG mech into the story, instead of just in the background like that Gundam special.
While I wouldn't call that new or innovative, either, it was definitely a step in a new direction for FX.

Funny how earlier in this topic you argued that AC was proof that the video game feel and look should be fine in movies. I guess that means it was completely unneccissary and pointless step in the right direction. Rolling Eyes Theres an oxymoron for ya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5