• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Minami-ke / Okawari / Okaeri.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Having gotten back from Japan today I took the time to watch episode 9 and my first reaction was "Hmmm...". I think Hosaka was in fine form but his entrance was a bit of side show to the big question facing Haruka. I'm looking forward to episodes 10 & 11 to see what happens there.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I know it's a little late, but I thought I'd bring up the final episode of Okawari. Quite honestly, that's the kind of ending I was wishing the first series had. There was some nice bit of character development for Chiaki and Kana, but it was good to hear that spoiler[Haruka chose to stay. It was obvious, yes, but still a heartwarming moment for everyone.] It makes me glad to have hung in there the entire time for this final episode -- I actually teared up a bit! Embarassed (They even used the original OP theme!)

Two other good things: spoiler[I'm guessing that Chiaki received a letter from Fuyuki. (I can't read Japanese, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.) The other thing I found not so much good, but more hilarious was that Hosaka actually went overseas. What an idiot! At least we got to hear more of that brilliant laugh. Ahaha Ahaha Ahahahaha...!] I only wish that Hosaka had received tons more screentime. Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
season 1 was great, second season shouldnt have been made. the writer and director should probably find new jobs. reminds me of you're under arrest's new season/series.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
I'm a little confused about the last episode. When spoiler[Haruka's friend asked the teacher (I think it was Maki) if he already chose who'll go as an exchange student, he said it was Minami-san, right? At that point, I was pretty sure that Haruka won't go, and in the end, it was confirmed that Haruka won't be leaving Japan]. So who's the Minami-san the teacher was referring to? I was thinking it was one of Touma's brothers, but that's just a guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
I was thinking that spoiler[he must have picked her, but she turned the opportunity down after the fact. That's the only explanation I can come up with other than what you also said -- maybe it could have been another Minami (brother)?]

Jaice wrote:
season 1 was great, second season shouldnt have been made.

Actually, season one wasn't all that great. People need to stop comparing the two, because they're so stuck on season one that they can't move on and accept anything different. Okawari was much more enjoyable for me and actually made me laugh.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
After episode 11, I figured it would be spoiler[one of Touma's brothers] but they never mentioned anything about it. I was a tad disappointed about that, actually. But otherwise, I thought it was a very good way to end the season.

Season two was a bit of a mixed bag but I think I actually liked it more than the first season.
motaku96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I figured a thread for the new season of Minami-ke should be made. There was a Minami-ke thread but it focused on the first and second season and is a bit old.

Anyway, I'll start with this. Even though the animation is the same from Okawari, they made some minor changes. Most noticeable for me was that they "fixed" Fujioka's hair. It's not nearly as bright as it was before.

I'm really glad spoiler[Fujioka's making progress with Kana. I have high hopes for further developments in their relationship.
The ending was perfect as always. Nothing beats Hosaka laughing.]

[EDIT: Merging all 3 series together to conserve space and the trouble of having more than one thread to search for. -TK
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the prequels to this anime however I downloaded the first episode and it didn't seem like I missed too much of great importance. It was funny and clever though, and I liked it so I'll probably continue to watch. Might even go to the trouble of finding its predecessors.
motaku96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
I haven't seen the prequels to this anime however I downloaded the first episode and it didn't seem like I missed too much of great importance.

Yeah, it's a slice of life anime so your not missing much from skipping a bit. There's no real plot you have to follow. However there are a few things in the first season you might want to see just so you get an idea of what's their relationships with each other and why they react to each other the way they do.
motaku96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
What's up with the Opening and ending for the third season? They're happening nowhere near the beginning or end of the episode. I guess they're just trying something new for Okaeri.
foxnewsnetwork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
They put the opening and closing in weird places so that the viewer (you) will be less likely to just skip them.

On another note, is it just me, or does Okawari's art style far outstrip Okaeri's...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
*blows dust off forum*
I thought I just might mention that I watched episode 8 of Tadaima, it is the fourth season not counting the single episode OVAs, and apparently the 49th episode. It is odd how they can continuity between the episodes, they all span large amounts of time, but really none of them have changed years, it has just gotten rediculous with the ammount of seasons. And though there have been new events, the chatcter interaction has rarely had dramatic change, typical slice of life with the second years curse. If I were to think of something there was that Touma's gender was found out by Fujioka, but he did not really seem to care. Well I guess there is some funny interactions now with Hosaka, Fujioka, and Toma's brothers.

Tadaima's th episode marked a sequel to spoiler[Hosaka's Curry Song, now being the Veggie Song]. A consequence of spoiler[childrens telivision brainwashing the nation into liking vegitables through a jackolanturn swinging a pendelum during a catchy song], even Chiaka was taken in. Well there might be something that I mostly found Hosaka to be annoying until a few episodes ago, probably from the awkward exchange between him and Touma's brother.

Anyway I want more Mako-chan, doesn't the show know most of the reason I watch this show is for the trap that is Mako-chan. Not that we are ever going to get ressolution about the situation of Chiaki hating Makoto, but loving Mako-chan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall Fujioka ever finding out about Touma being a girl. Hell, even when Kana outright says that Touma is a girl (on April Fools Day), Fujioka just thinks that Kana is joking. I think you mistook Atsuko for Fujioka? Because she was the one who was getting all embarassed from Touma's physical contact with her in episode 8. Not sure how anybody could find Hosaka annoying, so that befuddles me. The vegetable-eating hypnotism was something that was quite different from Minami-ke, a lot darker in its comedy than usual. Still was a good episode though, especially with the barbecue and vegetable songs.

This season has been quite refreshing after Asread pretty much did an awful job in both Okawari/Okaeri. Tadaima has hit a lot closer to the highs of season one for me. I'm also thrilled that FUNimation finally took interest in this franchise. I hope eventually I can own the first season on DVD.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't recall Fujioka ever finding out about Touma being a girl. Hell, even when Kana outright says that Touma is a girl (on April Fools Day), Fujioka just thinks that Kana is joking.
Oh yes that happened, I think I put up a mini block just to imagine that the status quo had changed. Well what are you gonna do, status quo is god. Not that seeing her squirm during that bit was not funny.

I always found Hosaka's stripping to be invassive, now I see how funny the absurdity is. Fujioka looked like he might be on the same road when he took off his winter uniform.

And yeah this season has been better than those other sequels, the animation/style for one is better, and I think there are more hits comic wise.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want changes to the status quo, look no further than sensei two-timing Ninomiya-kun with Sannomiya-kun Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4