• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: National Public Radio Profiles Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
On the original premise, before reading the article I thought that they would be criticizing the series, but not so much. I tend to disagree with Light being compared to Harry Putter or Neo. Light is more of an antihero who is most definetly misguided.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Goodpenguin wrote:
I ... feel the PBS corporation makes a lot of it's own PR/perception problems by being stubborn with political programming.

I thought you were describing Newscorp there for a moment. I guess your concern is only focused in one direction. How surprising. Rolling Eyes

Oh, I've got to keep up my end of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy. I just finished a coverage wrap-up this morning with working colleagues who are attached to the NY Times and the Washington Post, those notorious bulwarks of conservatism. Later today, I have to 'teach' (read: graduate slave labor) an undergraduate class on Marxism, and then pow-wow with my thesis adviser in political theory. You just know a lot of right-wing things are going down when you get a bunch of political science/theory academics together.

Very obviously your not looking for an honest conversation, your locked into a pre-formed narrative and your looking to soap-box. I'll give you credit for not saying 'Speak Truth to Power!' yet though.

PS- Newscorp is a private business which profitably caters to an audience. PBS is a quasi-public entity that conspicuously runs news programs of an often perceptible ideological leaning, which bumps up against their congressional funding mandate. If they just picked up a small handful of very cheaply produced, moderate right-leaning editorial programs (like the '(Wallstreet) Journal Editorial Report') and stuck it on non-premium news time-slot, it would be leagues easier for them to defend shows like 'Frontline'/'Now' etc. That's a programing take, not a partisan take.

samuelp wrote:
Quote:
Cspan doesn't make the politicians more careful about what they say on the house floor... anything controvertial now-a-days would be played on a 24 hour loop on MSNBC anyway...

Fighting words when you take on the C-spans! In seriousness, the C-spans aren't about making politicians watch their P's and Q's, it's about letting the public have free access to Congressional business and airing political interviews/shows. The C-spans do a wonderful job of giving time to views of all stripes as well, and take no government funding to boot.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

Fighting words when you take on the C-spans! In seriousness, the C-spans aren't about making politicians watch their P's and Q's, it's about letting the public have free access to Congressional business and airing political interviews/shows. The C-spans do a wonderful job of giving time to views of all stripes as well, and take no government funding to boot.

Ah, yes, that's right... They aren't funded, but they are used as a bargaining chip by the cable companies in preventing the FCC from regulating them Smile.

It's sad, though.... I used to listen to cspan radio every day driving to high school in wash. d.c. a decade ago, and washington journal was always filled with intelligent callers and guests. Now, it seems like the only people who call in are insane: Either ron paul fanatics or conspiracy theorists or god-forbid, the worst of the lot, the die hard HD-DVD fans... okay maybe not the last one.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Vast Rightwing Conspiracy.

Putting words in other people's mouths isn't a great way to make any sort of reasoned point.

Goodpenguin wrote:
PS- Newscorp is a private business which profitably caters to an audience.

Talk about kid gloves...

Goodpenguin wrote:
PBS is a quasi-public entity that conspicuously runs news programs of an often perceptible ideological leaning, which bumps up against their congressional funding mandate.

And suddenly the gloves are off again.

Goodpenguin wrote:
moderate right-leaning editorial programs like the 'Wallstreet Journal Editorial Report'

And now the gloves are back. I shudder to think what you would consider far-right editorials.

Goodpenguin wrote:
it would be leagues easier for them to defend shows like 'Frontline'/'Now' etc.

Shows like Frontline and Now are defended by their own fact-checking process.

Goodpenguin wrote:
That's a programing take, not a partisan take.

Oh really?

Goodpenguin wrote:
it's about letting the public have free access to Congressional business and airing political interviews/shows.

So the relevance of PBS is determined by viewership numbers while the relevance of C-Span is determined by its content? How do you explain that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3