• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Male and Female Sexuality Embodied in Anime and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen much Yuri but what you're saying makes sense. The different sterotypes also make for good dramatic tension, probably more so than a couple who are similar. One yuri match that stands out for me as having two women more on equal ground is the Mimi and Ren pairing from Mnemosyne. I'm not sure if they entirely count as a yuri couple, but there are definitely yuri moments between them. Both are pretty strong willed and independent, though tying in with your assessment, Rin IS Mimi's employer so there is some power differential there. Mimi doesn't seem very subservient at all though. They just seem more "balanced" to me somehow.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
*adds Mnemosyne to her watch list*

I have always wondered why there is not a greater production of yuri. I would expect that a large portion of the male fanbase would find attractive women in a sexual relationship to be bonus fanservice, so to speak.
Speaking which, it seems to me that one of the things that makes yaoi interesting to a female audience is the fact that the seme knows what he is doing, so to speak. In a lot of "normal" anime the male lead may have a court of girls fawning about him but he fails to realize any sex appeal on his part. They may be drawn to be as pretty as their yaoi counterparts but they flail whenever they interact with girls and are clearly inexperienced. At times this works to their advantage...at times it does the exact opposite.
But your average seme clearly knows how to seduce his uke even if it means using semi-coercise tactics. Plainly put, most semes know that they are attractive and have no qualms putting these qualities to good use. More, even when they are arrogant they tend to be devoted to pleasing their ukes. Which is not surprising, all things considered.
I suspect that this worldliness paired with a willingness to please is one of things that makes yaoi at all popular.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Japanese otakus don't like yuri, they like yuri fanservice, there is a difference between Chikane confessing her love to Himeko and Haruhi playing with Mikuru's boobs. The formula "loser guy surrounded by moe girls" is producing a lot of money right now, I think Japanese studios aren't interested in risking profits.

BTW, Mnemosyne's yuri is only fanservice.
Brendan Behan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Oh God, a continuation of this thread? My views on lolicon have seemed to have changed a bit since then... I don't particularly care about lolicon and pedophile being grouped together now. It's done so much there's nothing I can do to stop it. Although I still prefer lolicon. Just the other day I heard the news refer to child predators as "pedophiles"...

Ishmoo wrote:

Quote:
Women
Shojo girls These girls are innocent and non-sexual, mostly...not always attractive to men, though sometimes its very much a part of...
Moe which is all about men wanting to protect young looking and vulnerable girls...they aren't so sexual.

Though I have to admit that I find it somewhat disturbing, I think these types are often VERY sexual for certain male viewers.

They seem to be sexualized more often than not. But moe is not innately sexual.

Also, you're missing a lot of stereotypes there, but I don't think that's the focus of you're thread (by the title), so I won't go into them.

To give you the honest truth brother, your sexual attraction to little girls is distrubing, no matter how you try to phrase it. I'm not for telling people what to think and want, but this is a dangerous line to straddle. On one hand, I can see where you're coming from about drawing the line between someone who just fantasizes about young women and someone who actual preys on them. But does that make it healthy to have these sort of dreams and fantasies?

Of course I don't know you, so I'm only going off the vibe you give out in these two threads. I could be completely off key.

The issue of moe in anime is a new thing for me and I'm still not sure if I understand it correctly. I think I've only seen two series that've contained moe -- Welcome to the NHK (maybe?) and Kanon 2006 (definitely) -- and I didn't feel like the relationships found there were sexual. Well, in Kanon 2006 Yuichi and Ayu's relationship did become more serious and physical, and that did strike me as a little weird and in my eyes hurt the story a bit. But for the most part it seemed non-sexual and instead just that she was cute and innocent. And Misaki in Welcome to the NHK is young and definitely looks it, but on an aesthetic level she never goes beyond just being cute. In my eyes she's one of the most attractive characters in anime, but it's not for any physical reasons.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Brendan Behan wrote:
But does that make it healthy to have these sort of dreams and fantasies?

What I do in my room in front of my computer screen should be none of your business unless I'm actually causing harm to someone (which I'm not). If you think it's disgusting, good for you. I'm aware of what I'm doing and am in control of my emotions. There are quite a bit of people right here who have far sicker and far more violent sexual thoughts than I do. I think you should tell them first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3