• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think of moe?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
And as we all know mecha and moe have been mixing way to often IMO . While mecha isn't really my style it was one of the first types of anime I was exposed to so it has a place in my heart.

I think it's also considered fan-pandering when you have a story with lots of potential then you overload it with whiny girls competing to be the most helpless. I understand trying to make a character endearing and wanting to make the viewer feel like she needs to be protected but sometimes it goes to far such is the case of kanon when I would actually been interested in the plot if those girls didn't annoy me so much. I found haruhi suzumiya to be entertaining even if I didn't care for mikuru because the other characters didn't have slight variations on those same characteristics. I agree that building a show with lots of story but no likable characters isn't a good idea but does it have to always be a helpless cute girl? Maybe guys in harem anime would have a better time choosing which girl he liked if they weren't all the same person with hints of separate personalities half of the time.

Oh and yes it was someone I knew who tried to make me watch moetan but I just couldn't take it. But I have to admit I did like Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun I thought it was funny
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
OH NOES, I just saw abunai badmouthing Battle Programmer Shirase. But, wait, perhaps for the sake of the National Anime Industry I should turn a blind eye...

And Murasakisuishou, that's the first time I've ever seen Lain described as "moe" - except that if by "old school moe" you mean "moe in a sense that hardly anybody else uses the term" then I can hardly argue with you.
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Well I for one do enjoy moe and fall into the demographic that current companies are targeting with overuse of moe. If you enjoy moe like myself, well good for you. If not, then that's alright as anime has a wide spectrum of styles and ideas that interest people. Who am I to judge what you like and don't like?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
And as for the moe haters......I agree with abunai, grow the hell up.

Yes, clearly we were fools to state our opinions about moe in a topic called "what do you think of moe?"

I'm totally in agreement if someone watches moe just so they can then turn around and rant about how much they hate it. Same for someone who constantly brings up the topic or rants about it out of place. However, this is a topic about what we think of moe. As such we are going to state our opinion about it whether we feel positively or very negatively.

If you want to discuss moe with only others who like it, maybe you ought to make a topic to that effect. In fact, as I recall there was a topic like that few months ago which did very well.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
No I dont like moe in my anime. I'm a cranky and bitter person. I get annoyed when I see people trying to be overly cute and making weird noises and acting..like retards. I like cute things like kittens. But not people/anime characters trying to be cute.

To me this looks annoying and her eyes are overly large. They take up almost her whole face.

And whats that annoying catchphrase she has? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G96ea-GsV4

How old is she? 6?

And what in the hell is this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2GRpwwS8M&feature=related

Seriously..what the hell? She better not be 16 or older. Or I will be annoyed beyond belief.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:

And Murasakisuishou, that's the first time I've ever seen Lain described as "moe" - except that if by "old school moe" you mean "moe in a sense that hardly anybody else uses the term" then I can hardly argue with you.

As I understand it, 'moe' comes from 'moeru' which means 'to burn'. I've heard from many moe fans that it's not so much about sexual attraction or 'pandering' as a desire to care for and protect the character being described as moe, which makes the Haruhi definition of 'turn on' rather oversimplistic. Going by this other definition, which, as you said, hardly anyone else uses nowadays, Lain is a textbook example; she's small and cute and unsure of herself, and we often see her in vulnerable positions (in her slip to prevent static, nestled in the cocoon of wires in the ending animation, wearing her bear jammies, etc.) which make the viewer want to reach out and take care of her. Still, what sets her apart from the moe of today is that she doesn't exist merely as an ego-trip for some lucky male (although that is debatable, depending on how one interprets the end of the series), and that her character is such that she can be thought of as both moe and not ridiculously childish. The lack of an annoying sound effect catchphrase (gao! uguu~~~!) also helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:
To me this looks annoying and her eyes are overly large. They take up almost her whole face.

Then read gekiga instead. They have more realistically proportioned eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
And as for the moe haters......I agree with abunai, grow the hell up.

Yes, clearly we were fools to state our opinions about moe in a topic called "what do you think of moe?"

I'm totally in agreement if someone watches moe just so they can then turn around and rant about how much they hate it. Same for someone who constantly brings up the topic or rants about it out of place. However, this is a topic about what we think of moe. As such we are going to state our opinion about it whether we feel positively or very negatively.

If you want to discuss moe with only others who like it, maybe you ought to make a topic to that effect. In fact, as I recall there was a topic like that few months ago which did very well.

Did I not specify my opinion? Yes I did. So don't take it out of context just to make a point please. I clearly went on to say those just hating on it simply because they can should just watch something else then and not waste their time.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
I might go around saying gao and see if people want to protect me. I don't think they will. I don't see the need to drop a good series because of an annoying moe girl because moe isn't always done badly. The strawberry marshmallow girls are an example of moe done right as is lucky star. This ugly yet beautiful world didn't make me sick with moe. I had plenty of other good reasons not to like hikari and the ending of the series but that's another story...Anyway moe done badly are girls like mizuru (the main victim of this thread) and Lacus Clyne as a matter of fact she happens to be in the top 3 of my least favorite anime girls ever. I might get in trouble for saying this as it seems she has many fans but she's useless really really useless.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
I want to make it clear when I said I usually avoid series with moe It means I won't bother to watch unless I read many opinions that the story is excellent. I don't watch to rant and rave at moe series. I don't have one specific genre I like so I give every series that looks promising a try. As zanarkand princess said not all series with moe are bad.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Pinkwings wrote:

Then read gekiga instead. They have more realistically proportioned eyes.

I dont mind big anime eyes..but the one I posted was overdone.

And thanks, I had no idea what gekiga was but I found some interesting stuff when I looked it up.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed BPS. He hacks and overloads a supercomputer using only a cellphone.

Anyway, main topic: I crave moe. One of my favorite series (Moon Phase) is essentially built around the concept. I also thoroughly enjoy shows such as Potemayo and Hidamari Sketch. The adorableness brings warmth to my heart and a great big stupid smile to my face.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Oh I knew I had been familiar with the term gekiga. Oh not many people seem to be able to resist hidamari sketch they are endearing unlike lacus clyne (one of the worst offenders ever) Does anyone know who the first moe girl was (or who started the phrase rather)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Does anyone know who the first moe girl was (or who started the phrase rather)

It wasn't a term started by any one person really. It was just a term that started being used and eventually caught on.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Oh I see I wonder if it caught on at the same time as kawaii. I know that japanese teenagers use kawaii in everyday talk like "That dress is kawaii" But they dont really use moe right? I always thought it was a otaku thing I don't really know though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13