• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Presidential Candidate Cain Admits Quoting Pokémon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote
*snort* LOL! Laughing Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Two can play at that game...

Prepare for trouble if you vote Republican!
Make it double if you support the Tea Party!

To protect the world from economic devastation!
To unite all peoples within our tragically divided nation!
To denounce the evils of Republican half-truths!
To extend our reach to the stars above (via a long term plan focusing on research and development)!

Hillary!

Barack!

Team Democrat, blast off at the speed of hope!
Surrender now, or prepare to engage in a clam and measured attempt at compromise!

Joe Biden! That's right!

WIN!
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote
I'd say it was the perfect way to cap off his run for the presidency.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Two can play at that game...

einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
According to The Daily Beast, he didn't actually watch the movie. The story is:

Quote:
The pizza man finally came clean during an interview published in the December issue of GQ. “I heard the song in a collage that NBC put together following the 2000 Olympics,” he explained. “And as it turns out, the song comes from the Pokémon movie, and I didn't know that.”

So the mystery of how he’d come across the song, and why he mistakenly attributed it to the 2000 Olympics, was solved.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
According to The Daily Beast, he didn't actually watch the movie. The story is:

Quote:
The pizza man finally came clean during an interview published in the December issue of GQ. “I heard the song in a collage that NBC put together following the 2000 Olympics,” he explained. “And as it turns out, the song comes from the Pokémon movie, and I didn't know that.”

So the mystery of how he’d come across the song, and why he mistakenly attributed it to the 2000 Olympics, was solved.

That's what I figured. He wasn't quoting the movie, he was quoting Donna Summer who he has probably listened to a lot. But it sounds like the song he'll next be quoting is "Last Dance,"
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
It's about you
It's about me
It's about votes
It's about my presidency
It's about a country that works together to reclaim it's former glory!

It's about reachin' for the sky
(The US Rules!)
Having the majority vote and the willing to try
It's about never giving up and giving me your vote

And we will carry on
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Pizza Hut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SuEoe6aqCI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
This kind of shows that the world really is super flat. Just think: first, a song is created for a children's movie. It is then reused in a presentation about the Olympics. An executive from a pizza restaurant company runs for office in the Republican party. He then quotes the presentation.

That is our culture today.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Are anime fans just stupid? Why are you acting like he's so cool for misquoting something from a cartoon like it was actually the deep and meaningful words of a historical figure? You do realize this guy could have decided when to start a nuclear war, and he didn't even know China had nuclear weapons, right?

I'm all for having a laugh, but this is seriously frightening someone this moronic got that close to becoming president of the United States. Also how stupid some Americans are.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Are anime fans just stupid? Why are you acting like he's so cool for misquoting something from a cartoon like it was actually the deep and meaningful words of a historical figure? You do realize this guy could have decided when to start a nuclear war, and he didn't even know China had nuclear weapons, right?

I'm all for having a laugh, but this is seriously frightening someone this moronic got that close to becoming president of the United States. Also how stupid some Americans are.

Who is acting like he is cool? I think (nearly) everyone here was lampooning him and the situation.
Konopan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

What, you think Cain actually had a chance of winning the Republican nomination, much less the electoral race?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

What, you think Cain actually had a chance of winning the Republican nomination, much less the electoral race?

Yes. He was number one in the polls. Did people forget this? The only reason he was capsized was because he was a skirt chaser. They were all for things like 9-9-9 that would've slashed the taxes the rich pay by two thirds, doubled the amount the poor pay, and lead to end of Social Security and Medicare, because there would no longer be funds to support them.

These are the same people that voted for Bush after he invaded a country for a made up reason. They're not that bright.

Last edited by jsyxx on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Konopan wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

Yes. He was number one in the polls. Did people forget this? The only reason he was capsized was because he was a skirt chaser. They were all for things like 9-9-9 that would've slashed the taxes the rich pay in half, doubled the amount the poor pay, and lead to end of Social Security and Medicare, because there would no longer be funds to support them.

These are the same people that voted for Bush after he invaded a country for a made up reason. They're not that bright.

You still are not addressing the fact that people here were not applauding Cain. If anything, they are happy about the Pokemon exposure, intended or not. You didn't even post a quote to illustrate your point before calling us all "stupid Americans", ----which makes me think you are just trolling.

(not that I personally disagree with you about Cain's politics....)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah! See, I could have maybe gotten behind a Galaxy Express 9-9-9 economic plan.

But no people stopped taking him seriously as soon as he went past talking points and got the least amount of scrutiny. Every clear thinker took apart his 9-9-9 plan as simplistic and just another Forbes flat-tax plam, and as insular as many Republican voters can be, the fact that he seemed completely confused about foreign affairs lost him support. The suggestion of sexual harassment and marital infidelity certainly had an effect but in big ways but I think he was happy for the first couple, because him saying unfounded accusations (by people who couldn't legally comment) were a plot to take him down distracted the media from discovering he had started making a fool of himself on policy questions.

Pokemon though? yeah, that wasn't going to help either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Pokemon has free healthcare
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5