• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steven Spielberg, Will Smith Discuss Remake of Oldboy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yojimboray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not thrilled with a re-make of Oldboy, I would definitely be worried about how craptastic a live-action Ghost in the Shell would turn out.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
DKL: Lin said Tokyo Drift was inspired by ID, but that's about it. As for Departed, I'd like if it wasn't just a remake with curse words. And Damon's earned his cred, but Leo still hasn't gotten out of his man-child typecast rut.

Blue: Someone did "remake" Fresh Prince. Rolling Eyes

Hannish: You forgot about Bagger Vance, and depending on your opinion, Ali. Wink

yojimbo: A craptastic GITS is Johnny Mnemonic. Laughing
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
While I'm not thrilled with a re-make of Oldboy, I would definitely be worried about how craptastic a live-action Ghost in the Shell would turn out.

That could turn out good. I'm not as worried about that. Spielberg might not be the director, and besides the point that, if Akira is anything to measure Ghost in the Shell by, that LA adaption looks really good. Read that script review yet? Anime smile

As for the Kubrick thing...my memory took a leave of absence. Anime smile Tends to do that quite often... Anime smile
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:

Da Games Elite is right on Ghost in the Shell. Honestly, as long as they stick close to the easiest adaptation (SAC), I can easily see a decent movie being made. Trying to make a live action version of the original anime movie or even the manga however will probably lead to disaster.

Oldboy could be remade, although, I couldn't see Will Smith as the main.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
What an odd movie for these two to discuss.

The movie was cool itself.I don't see how a big movie producer,would remake an obscure title like Oldboy.

Cool,but weird.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Da Games Elite"]
yojimboray wrote:

That could turn out good. I'm not as worried about that. Spielberg might not be the director, and besides the point that, if Akira is anything to measure Ghost in the Shell by, that LA adaption looks really good. Read that script review yet? Anime smile

I'm withholding judgement on Akira because there is a major star involved with the project and they're willing to spend a lot of $$$. But don't you find it at all troublesome that this movie is being written by a first-time screenwriter and directed by a guy who has never directed a feature-length film?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Why the hell are you so butt-hurt? The only awful Will Smith movie is Wild West. And I am so freaking tired of hearing the word "butchered", butchered this butchered that butcher butcher butcher butcher it lost it's meaning. Can't you butt-hurt fanboys come up with a new word?

Okay okay simmer down. I understand what you're saying, I pretty much agree with the sentiment. Let's try to be a bit more respectful though and not insult people. Let's keep it civil.

And GATSU, give it a rest. If all you're here to do is talk about your incredibly warped perception of the entertainment industry then you're done. Talk about this adaptation or find a thread relevant to the rest of your comments. Your constant anti-US industry agenda is nothing but trolling and it's tiring, and I'm not about to allow you to twist another thread in to your own little soapbox to preach on and on about your insane bias.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
HayateTokidoki wrote:

I have nothing against remakes of older movies that would significantly benefit from new technology. Beyond that, it'd be nice if Hollywood would quit rehashing old ideas and come up with something new for a change...

Famous saying, there are only about 7 original ideas in human history, and the cavemen already did those. Razz

Besides, many people haven't seen Oldboy, so its remake is a new idea to them. Laughing
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
GATSU: I enjoyed the clip and it really did remind me of a wrapped fresh prince. As for leo's man/child syndrome I think this may fix it for him. If not, its still going to be worth seeing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
Spielburg IMHO will do something to the movie and turn it into a "Happy Ending" type of deal. I can't see him doing a remake of the film without touching the "controversial" part of the film. It's not in his nature to deal with that sort of issue.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
I read this article, was intrigued by the comments and decided to watch the film.

well, I am pretty sure Spielberg could pull it off. I am not, however, sure Smith could. Smith doesn't have the range to play this kinda of character, or the talent for that matter. Somebody like Daniel Day Lewis or Josh Brolin, or maybe even somebody like Christian Bale, could do this. Not smith, who hasn't been in a good film since....since.... I can't really think of a good film he's been in.

Last edited by Animehermit on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

As for that one part, they've done worst in movies. spoiler[ They could keep it in, and just not say anything about her being who she is, and just leave it up the imagination on who she is. like having a stuffed bear or something he gave her whens he was little around. Personally, I wouldn't even be mad if they stopped it before it got to sex and he realized who she was; so long as they may have made out.]

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

But that was a major plot point for the film which tied back to what was driving the story. Removing it would be a disservice.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
As a long-time Spielberg expert (and one-time contributor to DreamWorks Fansite, among other things), I have this to say.

Spielberg is playing with people's expectations. Those who think this movie will be less violent than the original are in for a shocker. He both knows exactly what he is doing and will make a movie that will disturb.

Troughout his career with Jaws, Shindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, etc... he showed that he is not a compromiser in the project's he directs... this could be very gorey and have an amazing performance by Smith.

I'm hugely excited.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
if Akira is anything to measure Ghost in the Shell by, that LA adaption looks really good. Read that script review yet? Anime smile

I gave it a browse.
spoiler["I...am...Travis?"]
Should anyone be of the opinion that such renamings will appeal to fans of the original, their view is fully irreconcilable with my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yojimboray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Bluebeard wrote:
I wish Michael Bay would make a Fresh Prince of Bel Air Movie starring Zac Effron & Hannah Montana to get Will Smith back for all the things he helped butcher. Maybe if someone ruined something close to him, he'd think twice about taking anything other than an original screenplay next time. I'm thinking of I Am Legend specifically, among others. I also blame the public who will go see any movie he's in, thus encouraging his casting in ANY role available. He could be in a movie about a talking ham and it would pull in 25 Mil on it's opening weekend.

I don't think I've even been back to the theater since Batman... so there's likelu an even greater problem with movies than just remakes & Will Smith.

Why the hell are you so butt-hurt? The only awful Will Smith movie is Wild West. And I am so freaking tired of hearing the word "butchered", butchered this butchered that butcher butcher butcher butcher it lost it's meaning. Can't you butt-hurt fanboys come up with a new word?

Like "butt-hurt?" LOL!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4