• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Weekend Estimates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote
One slightly antagonizing but mostly positive review.

So that makes it about 1 out of 40 or more that wasn't completely negative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
$642 per screen, that's pretty bad. I'm pretty sure we can expect to see the number of screens showing YGO cut in half by next weekend.

But still, I wonder what 4Kids expected... has the movie met, failed to meet, or exceeded their box-office expectations?

Too bad they're keeping the production budget a secret. We won't find out how much it cost till the next 4Kids qurterly report, and we might not even find out then...

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it did pretty well to become the third-highest grossing anime film in the U.S. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=anime.htm. It'll be a while before any anime movie makes even half of the first Pokemon, domestically speaking, but Yu Gi Oh at least disproves naysayers who think anime is just a temporary trend. (Although if they keep flooding the market with too many 100+ episode series, it could be...) All in all, I think Yu Gi Oh's got pretty good box office strength, all things considered. (Especially considering that it was dumped in August.) There aren't a lot of anime films or even American animated films which lasted this long in theaters.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
The movie was knocked down to one showing/day as of last Friday at the local 10 screen theater (Regal). I'll be surprised if it's still showing after this Thursday.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dustopants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:40 am Reply with quote
what ever happened to good anime movies in theaters, like akira... geez... yu-gi-oh sucks...
Cronus6669

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:37 am Reply with quote
It droped becasue it was fake. You dont make up a story to fit a original story and expect it to succeed. What were they thinking lol!

Last edited by Cronus6669 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:13 am Reply with quote
this was an original movie made for the american audiance. This has nothing to do with japananese source material. No anime was edited to make this. They just made up their own stuff. Sides there's another season coming out unrelated to this except for the cards.

and as a old time yugioh fan, th emovie was over the top and lacked a great deal of development the manga has. So for a yugioh movie i'd give it a mediocre rating, but ya gotta be a fan to appreciate it.
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I heard from Yugioh fans themselves that this movie was pure crap...

Because it's an American-made movie designed for the dub, so it has nothing to do with the original anime.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:48 am Reply with quote
Thinking back, I remember that when the first Pokemon movie came out there was a considerable amount of advertising surrounding it. To a lesser extent the other movies were advertized as well as the digimon movie. However, I haven't seen YGO advertized anywhere, perhaps part of the reason for its lackluster performance Question
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:49 am Reply with quote
dustopants wrote:
what ever happened to good anime movies in theaters, like akira... geez... yu-gi-oh sucks...

Well, Akira didn't do all that well in theatres and besides, good anime movies do make it to theatres, you just have to look around to find them (and live in major city).
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:29 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
However, I haven't seen YGO advertized anywhere, perhaps part of the reason for its lackluster performance Question

Depends on where you're watching. I know it's been in magazines, and every kid-driven TV network out there was saturated in the ads (seemed lik Cartoon Network was playing the ads about 5 times an hour) I'm sure there were other things that I didn't notice (posters at comic shops perhaps?) But the advertising itself was horrible; it didn't do anything to actually tell you what the movie was about, showed very few of the villians, and was more focused on Yugi yelling out catch phrases ("This is more than just a game!!"). They shot themselves in the foot with a hack advertising team.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
But the advertising itself was horrible; it didn't do anything to actually tell you what the movie was about, showed very few of the villians, and was more focused on Yugi yelling out catch phrases ("This is more than just a game!!"). They shot themselves in the foot with a hack advertising team.

Seemed to me that the movie trailers running on TV were more concerned about pitching the free cards you got for watching the movie. Didn't they take up about half the trailer just to say "get free cards as our apology for subjecting you to this garbage?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Toboe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Emerje wrote:
But the advertising itself was horrible; it didn't do anything to actually tell you what the movie was about, showed very few of the villians, and was more focused on Yugi yelling out catch phrases ("This is more than just a game!!"). They shot themselves in the foot with a hack advertising team.

Seemed to me that the movie trailers running on TV were more concerned about pitching the free cards you got for watching the movie. Didn't they take up about half the trailer just to say "get free cards as our apology for subjecting you to this garbage?"

And half the movie poster, which in turn was one of the worst movie posters I'd ever seen. Literally the bottom half of it is "GET FREE CARDS!". Ugh.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I always thought they should have shown the dbz movies theatrically instead of Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh. It was just as popular as both shows, and if they showed the movies uncut, it would have gotten a bigger audience and possibly better reviews than Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I always thought they should have shown the dbz movies theatrically instead of Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh. It was just as popular as both shows, and if they showed the movies uncut, it would have gotten a bigger audience and possibly better reviews than Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh.

The average DBZ movie is also only about an hour at best. Theatrical feature films are at the minimum eighty-ninety minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4