• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blast of Tempest (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
This anime continues to amaze me every week.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

spoiler[Interesting how Aika and Hakaze were getting along.
So Hanemura is just a replacement Mage of Exodus.
So they're stuck in a loop.
Maybe the only way to break it is to stop Aika from killing herself.
Aika vs Hakaze + all the explanations was interesting.
Looks like Hakaze failed miserably. They'll need another way out of this mess.]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

You know, after this episode I really thought spoiler[ Aika would STAY dead...] that was until the preview said next episode's spoiler[title is 'Fuwa Aika'.] Then I thought it was too suspicious that spoiler[she didn't seem sad nor surprised that she had to kill herself... she did care about Yoshino and Mahiro though. Strange.] I'm probably reading too much into this, she spoiler[won't come back. She will. No, that's illogical. She will. She won't. WHAAAA!!]

Anyway, nice fight.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Is this the incredibly rare well-executed time-travel subplot? Aika's reaction was so perfect for her and reminds me why this show has become one of my favorites of all the stuff I've watched.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I loved this episode as well, I'm just frustrated that I have to wait a week for the next one. Plus, that I cannot deal with how awesome Aika is. I'm always thinking there must be something else hidden under the surface.
Arkov

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Is this the incredibly rare well-executed time-travel subplot? Aika's reaction was so perfect for her and reminds me why this show has become one of my favorites of all the stuff I've watched.

No. spoiler[Aika's reason for killing herself is that the Princess travels back in time and tells her about the future. So right from the events of episode one, Hakaze has already traveled back in time and Aika has already killed herself because of it, only for this to occur again when the events of the series play themselves out. It's a time loop.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21
Pretty good episode with the dialogues and various quotes from Shakespearean literature imo. I guess spoiler[Aika's death in this episode was inevitable as she wanted to set the future as it was even with Hakaze trying to stop her.]

Oh and her abilities sure did that in this episode. Nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Arkov wrote:
No. spoiler[Aika's reason for killing herself is that the Princess travels back in time and tells her about the future. So right from the events of episode one, Hakaze has already traveled back in time and Aika has already killed herself because of it, only for this to occur again when the events of the series play themselves out. It's a time loop.]
Pardon me for being stupid but... why is that a "no"?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
It's not spoiler[a time loop. Aika and Hazake arrived in the same place by different routes, one of which took longer than the other. Aika is dead, and that remains true into the future (so far as has been revealed of it, anyway). Hazake will soon travel back to her own time, and Aika will still be dead. Hazake will then move forward, and new events will occur.]

spoiler[If it was a time loop, then the events would LOOP, and Aika would be dying over and over again, but that's not what happens, so it isn't a time loop. In fact, assuming Hazake took the letter from Aika, there are no contradictions or paradoxes involved: even Hazake isn't in two places at once, though her bones are, but that's the extent of it.]

As it is, we don't *know* that spoiler[Aika is dead]. It is possible that she spoiler[faked her death and has remained absent from everyone until she feels it is time to come back. As the Mage of Exodus, it *may* be possible for her to do that. Still, I think it's unlikely, but possible.]
Arkov

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It's not spoiler[a time loop. Aika and Hazake arrived in the same place by different routes, one of which took longer than the other. Aika is dead, and that remains true into the future (so far as has been revealed of it, anyway). Hazake will soon travel back to her own time, and Aika will still be dead. Hazake will then move forward, and new events will occur.]

spoiler[If it was a time loop, then the events would LOOP, and Aika would be dying over and over again, but that's not what happens, so it isn't a time loop. In fact, assuming Hazake took the letter from Aika, there are no contradictions or paradoxes involved: even Hazake isn't in two places at once, though her bones are, but that's the extent of it.]

As it is, we don't *know* that spoiler[Aika is dead]. It is possible that she spoiler[faked her death and has remained absent from everyone until she feels it is time to come back. As the Mage of Exodus, it *may* be possible for her to do that. Still, I think it's unlikely, but possible.]

Discounting the possibility spoiler[of Aika faking her own death, Hakaze *has* to go back in time in order for Aika to decide to kill herself. The fact that Hakaze had no knowledge of the reason for Aika's death indicates that some previous version of herself has already gone back in time, causing Aika to decide to kill herself, and so-on.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
I think you're bringing in assumptions about time travel from other shows. spoiler[This show doesn't seem to do the multiple timelines thing. There's only one timeline, and one set of events that happen, even if the characters don't necessarily move along that timeline in the conventional fashion.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Though her spoiler[bones have not, that was the trick she needed to time travel, she possessed her own bones of that time, they have not time traveled at all.]

So Aika spoiler[killed herself (apparently of her own will) so that Mahiro and Yoshino will eventually save the princess from the island, and thus things will end up like they have]. The Tempest Team (they need a team name) made up of spoiler[the clan, their princess, an incomplete mage of Exodus, an "unemplyed" woman connected to the government, and two highschool dropouts who have extensive knowledge of Shakespear]. The question is how spoiler[this team will stop the comming Ragnarok, does Aika know more than she said]?

Mahiro and Yoshino won't be happy with the revelation, Hakaze spoiler[tried to fight Aika to stop her planned suicide, although the battle looked like mere childsplay for Aika].
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
I think it would be appropriate to call what happens here a bootstrap paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrap_paradox.

In addition, I thought that the spoiler[conflict between Aika and Hakaze was pretty compelling, and I find it cool that Aika, the mage of Exodus, which is the 'hot' power, has a 'cool' personality, while Hakaze, the mage of Genesis, the 'cool' power, has the 'hot' personality.]
Ferian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

It's also possible that spoiler[being the Mage of Zetsuen, who doesn't necessarily need to follow conventional reason, she can get better or exist in a different form (as a ghost, for example) even after her death.]
drdr48

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
I will admit this was a pretty good episode. Especially because we've got to see a lot of Aika in it :X

Last edited by drdr48 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 27