• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The entire series felt like a wasted opportunity. there's all these interesting and unique characters, but they decided to focus on the three most generic (Masaomi, Ryugamine, Sonohara) of the bunch.

Well, it seems it’s quite possible that there will be another season of Durarara and in that case those who don’t like Mikado, Anri and Masaomi should be happy, since Mikado, Anri and Masaomi don’t play any major role in the fourth and fifth books. They have some role in the sixth book, especially Mikado, who wants to have more control over Dollars and tries to achieve it by accepting the offer to become the leader of [spoiler].

Last edited by Aylinn on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
_-D-_ wrote:
I really enjoyed where it ended up. Although it definitely makes me interested to see exactly what the epilogue episode is going to cover when that gets released later, and where the story goes from here through the other books.

Overall, I was really impressed with the amount of development that occurred story-wise and character-wise. There were lots of characters and situations that could have easily been allowed to stay in grooves that actually covered quite a bit of ground while taking the time to establish why the characters were doing what they were doing. It didn't fall into a patterned presentation of endless circling to avoid change as long as possible, or longer.

It was very different from Baccano! overall but I think that was a good thing. Baccano! can be Baccano! and Durarara!! can be Durarara!! And I'd like to see more of both.

This is pretty much sums up my feelings about the show as well.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
Eh Baccano tied itself up very nicely at the end and I think it doesn't really need another season.

Really though this final episode of Durarara felt to me more like the end of an arc and less like the end of a season. I don't really think there's enough in it for a whole new season but I'm not entirely satisfied with the way it ended either. What I did like, though, is that earlier when Mikado ran off with Anri, the call was made "This is not that kind of story" with regard to the fact that they didn't have a romance moment there or anything. And, spoiler[true to their word nothing did happen. I got a laugh just out of that.]

For me a rather empty finale to what has been a really grabbing and interesting series. Since we're comparing the two, one thing I liked about Bacanno that Durarara didn't (and I think should have) done was to run multiple "arcs" of the story at the same time or overlap them more cleverly. It felt a bit like spoiler[Celty was at the forefront for x episodes looking for her head, then Mikado and the Dollars reveal, and it just kept chopping and changing one after the other and not really focusing on more than one thing at once, both watching and chronologically.] I guess I just expected a little more overall; although seeing Simon spoiler[destroy Izaya] like that was the best thing ever.

I say all that but really I did love this series. I'd like to see a couple of OVA's or maybe a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
I really think it's because there's waaaaay more plot threads that are answered in the following novels. Which is why I speculate that there will be a season 2.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
v1cious wrote:
The entire series felt like a wasted opportunity. there's all these interesting and unique characters, but they decided to focus on the three most generic (Masaomi, Ryugamine, Sonohara) of the bunch.

Well, it seems it’s quite possible that there will be another season of Durarara and in that case those who don’t like Mikado, Anri and Masaomi should be happy, since Mikado, Anri and Masaomi don’t play any major role in the fourth and fifth books. They have some role in the sixth book, especially Mikado, who wants to have more control over Dollars and tries to achieve it by accepting the offer to become the leader of [spoiler].

I've heard the opposite actually. While vol 5 and 6 deal with multiple plotlines and characters Mikado's is the one most focus and builds up to his "change" and the end of vol 6.

On the episode,

Very well done conclusion, which frankly is rare for an anime nowadays. Enough got resolve and left opened for a second season. It's really impressive when series with such a large cast manages handle character development in a good manner.

Hightlights for me:

-Kadota and friends infiltrating the YS and pulling a "Big Damn Heroes" moment.
-Everyone finally airing out their "dirty-laundry".
-Shizuo's epic roadsign ownage followed by Kuzuhara showing up
-Pretty much the whole Anri and Izaya scene.
-Simon punching the crap out Izaya (I still love him even if he is an ass) and lecture in Russian.
-The entirety of the Masaomi and Saki scene.
-Shinra's "are you trying to seduce me scene?" He pretty much got the best ending. Anime hyper

So, yeah great show now get cracking on season 2 BB!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the finale as well. Overall, I found it to be a very solid series that I feel I should probably like more than I do. Superior to Baccano! in my opinion. Like I said before, I'd definitely check out a second season, but I'm not gagging for it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else watched the special, I have seen it called episode 12.5.

I guess the name implies that it is set in the time between episodes 12 and 13 and uses the first half of the serie's opening, but it seems that they have the cop in, though he didn't get much as it was. It is mostly done as about three or so different stories that intercept and the story is done backwards and forward in time, as you see how it all fits.

Best part was bringing back spoiler[Celty's fear of aliens, I guess it is just funny seeing a magical being afraid of sci-fi aliens, especialy when she stated that she had to watch it to be prepared.] I think it was a nice to watch a bit more, we got to see the teenage cast in some interesting costumes, Walker's comentery also added a good amount of cheese too.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't stop laughing at the van gangs lines, I laughed a ton at Kadota's line (upon seeing someone in the car next to them start shooting with a gun) "Isn't this Japan?!?" Really enjoyed this episode and I wonder if Narita himself wrote the script. I think he's doing the script for episode 25 and something about the time skips just felt very Narita-ish to me.
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I got a kick out of the special, although I found it very hard to follow at first due to the reversed timeline. It was pretty hilarious: everything from Celty's fear of aliens, Walker's narration, the horrible english accents (although the grammar was spot on, kudos to them), to Shizuo's temper tantrums and the end realization of what the UFO's at the beginning actually were had me busting up laughing. Of course, considering how much I love and missed the cast, I probably would've been happy even if the entire episode was them picking their noses. Damn, now I kind of feel the need to rewatch the entire series.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
This was as great as the first season. Lots of fun condensed into one package. It's a pity that we probably won't be seeing anything like this for a while.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party. Again.

But yeah, Durarara!! was a lot of fun. I didn't like it quite as much as Baccano, probably because Baccano was more compressed and so you got more brutal violence and confusing time skips for your money, but I'm definitely up for more.

I seem to be going against the grain a bit though, because I liked the second half of Durarara was quite a bit better than the first. The first half spent so much time introducing characters that the actual pace of events kind of, well, dragged. And the two characters who were the emotional centerpieces weren't really up to the challange: Celty underneath her badass exterior is really spoiler[just a geeky outsider who can't admit her feelings], while Mikado is your generic nice guy who is also spoiler[Moot]. Both characters were good, but neither brought enough to the table to carry part 1. And I honestly felt the finale didn't quite live up to the build-up, spoiler[Mikado springs his army of chaners on Namie, and then he . . . just watches as she makes her escape?]

On the other hand, the the second half focused on Anri and Kida, who had the most well-realized psychological issues. As the only people who I found actually relateable, they did a much better job of carrying the second half, and the more focused plotting didn't hurt either. Plus, the ending featured spoiler[actual fighting], always a plus in my book.

In short: I liked the second half more than you did, neener neener neener.

But I think we can all agree that the slasher arc was the best: it had shocking revalations, crazy people with knives, blood, and Shizuo beating up spoiler[the entire city]. Uh, right guys?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Good news kiddies, 2nd season of Durarara confirmed.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
After the first episode: yes, couple of characters are really cute, but I am not buying it yet.

The incredible amount of illegal/gang activity the show describes, considering ridiculously low the crime rate in Japan is, as a setting is not quite believable. Of course, it is a fantasy anyway, but it would make more sense if they would move the story to another country.

As it is now, I was thinking half of the time: "Come on! Really?"

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
...it would make more sense if they would move the story to another country...

As far as I know there is only one Ikebukuro and that's in Japan. Without Ikebukuro it just wouldn't be Durarara!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
The same author has placed his other story, Baccano!, in another country. Even if it is also a fantasy, the setting fits perfectly, unlike here.

Is this the reason why Durarara! is rated a whole level lower? Or this show has also other issues that made anime lovers rate it lower?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 25