• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motaku96

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I just saw episode 33. Black Star kind of pissed me off in this episode. spoiler[he was acting all superior in the beginning. usually i like his cocky overconfident attitude but he just seemed like a jerk this time. well i guess everyone was on edge but he still got really irritating.] it's pretty selfish of me but i liked black star better when he was a loser. well it all worked out in the end. 34 looks like its gonna be a great episode.
furizaa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
motaku96 wrote:
I just saw episode 33. Black Star kind of pissed me off in this episode. spoiler[he was acting all superior in the beginning. usually i like his cocky overconfident attitude but he just seemed like a jerk this time. well i guess everyone was on edge but he still got really irritating.] it's pretty selfish of me but i liked black star better when he was a loser. well it all worked out in the end. 34 looks like its gonna be a great episode.

I felt the same way. Black Star is my favorite character on the show, but this week, he really just came off as a complete jerk. I guess it was just to try and put a motive behind Maka's frustrations though. I thought the scene at the beginning where spoiler[Black Star saw the deer-looking thing inside of the demon blade was pretty cool]. Can't wait for next week!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
episode 33
yup, Black Star was an ahole this episode. I mean, I'm glad they all learned a lesson together, but spoiler[it really was his fault. It wasn't that he couldn't do it--he willfully wasn't giving it his all and letting Maka and Kid in. I didn't blame Maka at all, and though her crying was used for comedy, it was totally what I would have done if I was frustrated with a friend and had no idea how to deal with it, plus that friend was being a really big dick.]

Next episode looks like their kicking it into high gear like I've been saying they will for a while. I wonder if Soul will become a Death Scythe by the end of the series? one can only hope.
jel123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:
I'm surprised to see no info up on the main site yet...apparently Funi is taking down videos from Veoh and YT because they licensed the show.
Yeah, Rumbel has also announced that they are dropping/removing Soul Eater (as well as Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! and the second season of D. Gray-Man) because of a Funi C&D.

Hopefully Funi will have an official streaming subs option soon. This is one of my favorite series right now.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:
I'm surprised to see no info up on the main site yet...apparently Funi is taking down videos from Veoh and YT because they licensed the show.

Where did you find this out, exactly? Did those sites say it? Did Funimation announce it somewhere? This seems very sketchy. Though, based off relative popularity in Japan (in my opinion) and content that some American fans would probably enjoy, it wouldn't surprise me. It's basically impossible to tell without more information.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, other groups got the C&D orders as well, but keep in mind that these don't always indicate a new license for FUNi, they often do these for the Japanese license holders. Too bad, I've only been using Rumble since they seem to be the only group that actively does the Late Show and does a good job with the translations. Just caught up after watching five episodes of Shinigami being called "Grim Reaper" and Kid being called "KIddo". Don't even get me started on why groups think it's OK to not sub the ending preview... *groan*

Anyhow, I liked episode 33. Black Star was right to act the way he did, dumbing down his strength for the sake of the others in the group would only have weakened the group. As Stein said, there's more factors than just strength when it comes to this. Maka on the other hand was acting like a spoiled, whiny brat that was about to destroy the group and their friendship if she couldn't have her way. Black Star did the right thing by pissing off Maka, somehow he knew that she would come back and make the group successful and she would be rewarded in the process.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
The manga is currently being published in Yen Press
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Er, that has nothing to do with it. Manga licenses have little to no influence on anime licenses. If they did the C&Ds would have been issued back in April.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
episode 34

yes, things are finally starting to heat up. We now have the spoiler[Giriko vs. Justin rematch, Sid vs. Mifune, Kilik Oxford & Kim vs. random enemies, and next week looks like Maka DtK & Black Star take on Mosquito.] I wonder where Chrona is and why she didn't come along?

Let's face it, Soul Eater excels most in the action department, and I hope it starts to deliver. The best action so far was leading up to spoiler[unleashing the Demon God] in episodes 18-2something. The animated parts of the fights in this episode were just teasers...I hope they are all fleshed out fairly quickly. spoiler[I'm not sure I like the Mifune/Sid matchup since Sid's never clicked with me. I wish it were someone like, I don't know, Death Scythe. Most anticipated match aside from the heroes? Hands down Giriko vs. Justin. I love watching Giriko's breakdance style of fighting, it's so much fun!]
furizaa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
I wonder where Chrona is and why she didn't come along?

When they were on the boat at the beginning, Marie said that the top two teams were selected, or something to that degree. Considering that Chrona is still practically treated like a POW, if not by Maka and gang, but by the teachers, Chrona hasn't really found their place at Shibusen yet, and therefore hasn't formed a team with any other students yet. Seems like they took a page from Naruto and made the team capacity three people (meisters).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
just now found subs for eps. 33 and 34, though they seemed pretty mediocre. Still, I got the gist of what was going on, even when words like "excepted" were used when "accepted" would have contextually made more sense.

Re: 33, I personally thought it was Maka who came off like an idiot in this episode. Don't get me wrong, I like her a lot... probably moreso than Black Star... but I thought her rebukes were necessary and made the team stronger in the end.

Re: 34, Enjoying the beginnings of some battles, though it always drives me crazy when spoiler[they ignore orders and go wandering off on their own.] Felt like I missed something in an earlier episode to clue me in to what this BREW thing is.

Anyway, here's to hoping I can find passable subs as the episodes release so I can more-or-less keep up week-to-week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AndrewIsAzn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I just saw 34 and really liked it. The action in this episode was really nice, seems like there hasn't been too much fighting lately. That could just be because now I can only watch one new episode every week or so though =[. Makes me sad that I can't watch 35 subbed right now.

When they changed the intro from Resonance to Papermoon it really bugged me, but I have to say that the Papermoon intro is finally starting to grow on me.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
yeah, at this point i can't see any good way to end this series without a second season. spoiler[not only do they still have to introduce Joe (he's in the opening), but there's still the Clown arc where Maka gets "Demon Hunter". that would only only leave about 10 episodes for Arachnophobia, which STILL isn't resolved yet.] the only way they could possibly resolve this series right now, is to pull a "Claymore" move on us, and shoehorn in some ending that doesn't make any sense. in any case Bones does good work, so hopefully they have some kind of plan.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
If it weren't for spoiler[prisoner Medusa] in the OP, the best place for the conclusion/break at the end of the Clown arc. But that's nowhere near enough episodes...

I wouldn't mind getting a few character-building episodes for Kirikou's team (spoiler[such as his and Ox's assignment]) to stretch things out a bit though.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
episode 35

the action is back and I'm loving it! My favorite fights are still coming up next week, however, such as Justin vs. Giriko. And the fighting with Mosquito next week looks sick.

spoiler[looks like Kid has some major issues with Eibon that will need sorting out, i.e. a Q & A session. Stein is really losing it, and he's so powerful too. I wonder if he and Mifune will do side-switches and then maybe face off. I'm surprised at how Mifune is able to fight Sid. You'd think he'd be at a major disadvantage against a meister, especially since meister's weapons can't really "break" can they? but I guess not.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 26