• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I forgot what a pain in the ass filling these damn things is at first lol. Finally got the first round done. Think I might do 1 round a day so I don't smash my monitor lol.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol. I've had mine sorta done for a couple days, but my problem is that I'll fill it out, finish, scrap it, start again, go back and change a bunch of stuff, not be satisfied, scrap it again.... Anime hyper The cycle only breaks when I realize I only have a couple hours until it's due and then I frantically send in what I consider to be the best version.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I filled mine out in a couple of minutes. It's best not to second guess yourself.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga, I have taken your wise advice and sent my bracket in. Already I want to take it back and make changes Anime hyper Anime hyper

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Be. Neurotic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
I think that's probably the best piece of advice I ever got from a teacher. He said it's a bad idea to look over your answers on a test because you might end up changing a correct answer into a wrong one.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Test-wise it is a good idea for me to look over my work (not answers). I'm the type who'll do everything right but forget to carry a negative sign somewhere along the way that throws off the entire answer Anime cry
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
That's why I check over my answer before I move on to the next one.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
I never went back over my tests. I just don't have the patience for it.

As for my bracket, this time I was clever and saved the number of votes each nomination got to look at, though I did go against it several times (I even have a few of the bye nominations going down in the second round). It will be interesting to see how things go and whether my riskier choices pay-off or not.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I should have enough time to get things set up for tomorrow night after all, so consider this a roughly 33 hour warning about the end time for minigame submissions.

And yeah, my expectation is that at least a handful of seeds will go down in the second round, as some of those candidates at 6 and 7 scores during the nominations process should stand up pretty well against seeds. (I can think of a couple in that range that I thought were well under-supported for their merits.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Good thing that I started working on mine right now!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
And done!

No clue on how well I'll do, as most of my selections were just guesses! There was way too many shows that I haven't seen in this minigame.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
As usual, I fear for ultimate failure. I was very surprised that in the last tournament, I was actually leading for a few weeks. This got my hopes up, but I still ended 7th or 9th place. I was done in a few minutes with filling this bracket in. I had more trouble with the layout (names don't fit in the small spaces without becoming invisible, so I lengthened the columns) and wondering what the byes meant. Don't worry, I figured it all out after reading some posts here, hehe.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry too much. Sure, the prizes would be nice, but in the end even if you do awful there's no harm done.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's definitely fun even if you do terribly. And it's definitely good to keep in mind that things can change dramatically in the last rounds, since the number of points goes up and having a wrong guess hurts that much more (I remember one year when most of my picks on one group were eliminated pretty quickly, which definitely hurt by the end).

Very excited for things to get started!
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
^ Agreed. My favorite part of the minigame is seeing how things go week to week. For that, Dorcas_Aurelia's graphs are awesome. It's cool to see certain entries neck-in-neck, and they really illustrate how you can be not even in the top 5 one week, and a week or two later be in the running to win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 28