• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
LDSman wrote:
What does it mean when the DVD is "certified by the Malaysian Gov't?"

It means they want you to think it's a release supported by its original creator.

Quote:
To be more specific, is the box set of Highschool of the Dead a bootleg even though its certified by the Malaysian Gov't?

One thing you need to learn about politicians from poor countries: they're even more corrupt than yours.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
LDSman wrote:
What does it mean when the DVD is "certified by the Malaysian Gov't?"

Similar example in Singapore, with discussion: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8828
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
a certain manga scan aggregator has launched a webstore, and while that's probably enough of an indication you should stay far, far away from their product, just thought I'd make a warning on this sticky-- if the webstore with cheap loooking merchandise you've never seen at RightStuf or HLJ or on Great Eastern's website launches, and is linked to a major pirate site, you should probably NOT trust them with your money.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
a certain manga scan aggregator has launched a webstore, and while that's probably enough of an indication you should stay far, far away from their product, just thought I'd make a warning on this sticky-- if the webstore with cheap loooking merchandise you've never seen at RightStuf or HLJ or on Great Eastern's website launches, and is linked to a major pirate site, you should probably NOT trust them with your money.

When I saw that THEY did, I said I really hope someone brings them down. I mean putting of scans of legit English releases is bad enough, but this is just a all new low.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Paploo wrote:

When I saw that THEY did, I said I really hope someone brings them down. I mean putting of scans of legit English releases is bad enough, but this is just a all new low.

Though I worry even more about if they'll be able to do anything about it- while the scan site is hosted in the US, and they can sometimes get results with DCMA notices [which said site will then turn around and sneakily reupload later on], if their merchandise business is entirely China based, I wonder if much can be done about it. I do hope something'll be done, and it's blatantly pirated goods, so I imagine companies will be contacting their legal departments and the Japanese companies..... but in the meanwhile, I imagine a ton of fans who have no idea they're getting ripped off will spend tons of money on this site.

Also, not looking forward to seeing attendees with merch with their main sites on it at Cons [yes, they're making "company" branded merchandise], or the mess of vendors who mistakenly wholesale their products not knowing they're knockoffs.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Paploo wrote:

Though I worry even more about if they'll be able to do anything about it- while the scan site is hosted in the US, and they can sometimes get results with DCMA notices [which said site will then turn around and sneakily reupload later on], if their merchandise business is entirely China based, I wonder if much can be done about it. I do hope something'll be done, and it's blatantly pirated goods, so I imagine companies will be contacting their legal departments and the Japanese companies..... but in the meanwhile, I imagine a ton of fans who have no idea they're getting ripped off will spend tons of money on this site.

Also, not looking forward to seeing attendees with merch with their main sites on it at Cons [yes, they're making Mangafox branded merchandise], or the mess of vendors who mistakenly wholesale their products not knowing they're knockoffs.

I know some people on twitter asked Funi and Viz if they can do anything about this, but I don't know if they can or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArithmeticianRamza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
The following seems pretty dubious to me:
http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/magical-girl-lyrical-nanoha-strikers-dvd-3-discs-31322901.htm

My thought was that if it was from Singapore, it would probably have been licensed through Odex. On the other hand, I haven't been able to find a working website for Odex or any recent information about what they've licensed; it almost looks like they're hiding. If that's the case, then maybe this is the sort of thing they would put out. I'm not entirely sure about the auction site either, but it seems like they're taking a very hands-off approach to whoever sells through them and trying to avoid any responsibility. In any case, it makes me wonder about them when they're US-based but their terms of service say that all disputes are settled under the jurisdiction of somewhere in Britain.

The seller also seems to be unsure whether they're in Singapore or Malaysia, or intentionally fudging it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
I only buy bootlegs if:

1) The series is not available in the states or via fansubs.

2) Said series has been out of print so long its not possible to buy a legit copy for a reasonable price anymore.

My point exactly. End of discussion.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I know this has to be a weird question, but I've been very interested in 'shopping' (if you so wish to call it that) at emanga.com, but I genuinely wanted to make sure it was legitimate before even visiting it with my browser.

I was also curious about the fact that Barnes & Noble sells Nook ebook copies of Vampire Hunter D. I'd love to buy this manga in this format, but I want to make sure that it is a genuine copy.
underlock

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
I only buy bootlegs if:

1) The series is not available in the states or via fansubs.

2) Said series has been out of print so long its not possible to buy a legit copy for a reasonable price anymore.

My point exactly. End of discussion.

Considering that only 0.2% - of all the series I've tried to get fansubed but failed to do so since a fansub version didn't exist, I don't think I can condemn you. Though, since I've seen over 600 series + movies + OVAs + WTF, I can't help but feel like this is a mere excuse.

In fact, do they even sub it themselves? I can't really believe some Malaysian cartel would know proper English.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Is there some way of reporting to Amazon a marketplace vendor who's obviously trying to pull a fast one?

See this (here's the link and I'll quote the relevant bit here):

Maison Ikkoku: Collector's Box set 1 (eps.1-12) (2003)

$119.46 New

Seller: SUPPORT A VETERAN

Seller Rating:50% positive over the past 12 months. (2 total ratings)

In Stock. Ships from CA, United States.
Domestic shipping rates and return policy.

SAME COVER BUT NOT COLLECTORS EDITION. IT HAS TO BE ORDERED FROM SUPPLIER. IT CAN TAKE UP TO TWO WEEKS TO BE SHIPPED. YOUR ACCOUNT WILL SHOW IT WAS SHIPPED RIGHT AWAY BUT IT WILL MEAN THE FUNDS WERE SECURED FOR THE ORDER. NO REFUNDS, RETURNS OR EXCHANGES. Running Time : Approximately 24 x 25 mins =600 MINUTES, 3 DISC, EPISODES 1-24, Release Date : 6/12/2008

The bloke is promising to collect a stupidly high payment immediately, then (and only then) go and buy himself a boot online, ship to you, and then not answer any further correspondence on the matter.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
You know, I seriously hope that he isn't trying to use the veteran bit without cause either. I mean, if this guy isn't actually a veteran and is lying about that as well, it's very hard for me to feel much sympathy. Naturally, though, I truly apologize if that isn't the case.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Thank you for this thread, the information here is both useful and helpful also what others have posted will keep ANN mbrs and guests on the look out for bootleg or suspected bootleg copies. If the price of an anime is too good to be true there is probably a good reason to suspect something. As many other mbrs have commented there are some stores out there that do not let the consumer know what they are buying is truly a bootleg copy only until you get home do you discover this. Talk about false advertisement. Consumers trust these stores to sell official licensed merchandise.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
@vashna
That's the thing, isn't it? Whenever someone is lying about everything you can check, you wonder what other lies you can't check are going on.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120760214553&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1114

Should I be suspicious of this listing? £18 seems awfully cheap, and the seller has zero feedback.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 33