• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - (Almost) Spring Fling

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
v1cious wrote:
I watched all of "Another" today at work.

I'm sure you boss will be proud to hear that.

I work assisted living. Plenty of free time.

Quote:
Well, spoiler[Mass hysteria. The fear of their own lives, and thinking that if they killed the extra, would lead to them not dying horribly doesn't seem that far-fetched that they'd all go crazy.]

Yeah but spoiler[the extent to which they went crazy just felt forced, I would think they would have at least given it a second thought before turning into mindless psychopaths. I could understand if there was a little exposition, but the fact that all of this transpired over a couple of hours is just ridiculous.]

tcdelaney wrote:
I'm generally willing to give full-length shows at least 2 episodes before I drop them no matter how annoying or stupid (Mitsudomoe being a notable exception - dropped halfway through the first episode) so that should give an indication of just how much I disliked the first episode of Gokujo. Hmm - Mitsudomoe also featured bullying (of the teachers) and tasteless stuff ...

The first two episodes of Mitsudomoe aren't a very good representation of the series. The humor takes a completely different path later on.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

The two episodes of Mitsudomoe aren't a very good representation of the series. The humor takes a completely different path later on.

Really doesn't matter. If a show has disgusted me enough to drop it by halfway through the first episode (a really high bar), why would I want to subject myself to being disgusted even more just because someone says "it got better"?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
v1cious wrote:

The two episodes of Mitsudomoe aren't a very good representation of the series. The humor takes a completely different path later on.

Really doesn't matter. If a show has disgusted me enough to drop it by halfway through the first episode (a really high bar), why would I want to subject myself to being disgusted even more just because someone says "it got better"?
Mitsudomoe is arguably one of the funniest shows of the past decade. It's characters are unique and genuinely likable, especially Mitsuba (who is now one of my favorite anime characters of all time), the comedic misunderstandings are truly comedic and not forced, and self-aware tone the series takes on about halfway through is truly remarkable. To each their own, of course, but I find it hard to believe somebody doesn't like that show. It's really great.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'd like to add that another show absolutely NOBODY seemed to pay attention to was a little series called Gokujo.

Tried the first episode, dropped it. Unbelievably annoying and stupid IMO. And I have a viceral rejection of bullying. And tasteless stuff. Maybe "it got better" but I wasn't willing to waste my time to find out.

I'm generally willing to give full-length shows at least 2 episodes before I drop them no matter how annoying or stupid (Mitsudomoe being a notable exception - dropped halfway through the first episode) so that should give an indication of just how much I disliked the first episode of Gokujo. Hmm - Mitsudomoe also featured bullying (of the teachers) and tasteless stuff ...
As a victim of bullying, I hate it in anime as well. But I never saw the protag's actions as bullying. If anything, the way her sister treats her later on (which you missed only watching one episode), is bullying, and her friends kind of come to her defense, and you understand why she has such an outwardly egomaniacal personality: it's to protect herself. To me, the show was pleasantly ribald, and nice breezy viewing that didn't require heavy investment. Much better than most of the generic crap churned out during the Winter season.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Saw Persona 4 (the game) on the shelf in the local EB Games, was dirt cheap too. But I didn't want to buy it until I had checked that my ageing PS2 still worked. Lo and behold it gave up the ghost as soon as I checked it. Pity. I was looking forward to playing the game. Might have cleared up some things from the Anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4