• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-20]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Just going to throw my hat in and say ToraDora is absolutely the best anime of 2008 (and possibly 2009 even). The characters are so wonderfully complex. Episode 23 was breathtaking in its final scene. Just amazing.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
Add another to the "Not even close to correct" category:
Answerman wrote:

And besides, I don't really see how there could be such a thing as a “surge” in popularity for Light Novels; they're basically just romance novels written for men, which is, uh, not a terribly large demographic here in America.

This is pretty much the equivalent of saying every anime is really a harem romance anime for men. The light novel publishing genre spans everywhere between the equivalent of the young adult novels and otaku aimed novels with too many pictures to be marketed as novels. Of course, the point is that they are supposed to be easier reads than regular novels. The romance novels for men are a (small) subsection of it.

rti9 wrote:

Brian Hanson wrote:
You kiddin'? The nation of Japan will be watching repeats of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Tetsuwan Atom, and Lupin III, as well as new episodes of ancient, ancient shows like Doraemon and Sazae-san, until the Sun explodes in a fiery cosmic burst of epic, destructive beauty.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't write about it. I never read such inaccurate remarks from the original Answerman. As the others have already pointed out, the current Answerman is completely off the mark concerning Toradora!

I wonder if he can show me where are Gundam, Tetsuwan Atom, and Lupin III currently being aired in Japan, what are their ratings, and more importantly the average age of who is watching them. Sazae-san always appears on the top TV rankings, but kids aren't the target audience. Just like young Americans, young Japanese want the cool and the new.

Ratings aren't tracked at all for most repeats since many are basically in the equivalent of syndication. There are shows that are in endless repeats in Japan like Dog of Flanders on NHK.
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
Dodging the Toradora stuff being flung around at the moment (loving it by the way, hoping it gets a release this side of the world... ^_^;;;)...

To point out for the second guy who wrote in other series that are "anime-original" (as opposed to being an adaptation), I believe Sunrise's own My-HiME and its spin-off My-Otome are both "anime originals"...

O-O~
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Dude, realism has been done to death.

Rideback is fairly realistic, and despite its glacial pacing I'm loving it.

ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Patlabor is old.

And good.

ptj_tsubasa wrote:
There's a difference between "growing up" and "becoming an adult." I believe that if you can't enjoy kids' shows - well-done kid's shows - anymore you've lost something irreplaceable...

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is not a kid's show, at least not in terms of fanservice levels. You know very well the type of person whom the creators were thinking of when they came up with Yoko......
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

rti9 wrote:

I wonder if he can show me where are Gundam, Tetsuwan Atom, and Lupin III currently being aired in Japan, what are their ratings, and more importantly the average age of who is watching them. Sazae-san always appears on the top TV rankings, but kids aren't the target audience. Just like young Americans, young Japanese want the cool and the new.

Ratings aren't tracked at all for most repeats since many are basically in the equivalent of syndication. There are shows that are in endless repeats in Japan like Dog of Flanders on NHK.

Even if ratings arent tracked, the old shows have the top ratings,mostly because they aim at a wider demographic and are shown on the most convenient broadcast hours. Of course they are also accompanied by the appopriate advertisements.

There is a tendency though to make various remakes of older shows to attract the younger viewers.But I have to say most of them lack in content when compared to the original or are completely different in tone.

Considering also the re-runs or mediocre remakes of American cartoons (I guess many learned those by heart) and also TV channels dedicated to those (Boomerang) Japanese series would fare well with the right support. They would be much cheaper too. Problem is to renegotiate the licensing rights and make the digital transfer, because I guess a lot of Betacam tapes are eating dust, if they're not already in a garbage can. Or make a new dub from the beginning even if there is a chance that it will be inferior.

Anime broadcasters should combine both old and new series.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
Toradora is the same as Doug? ... I watched Doug, Hey Arnold, and Recess and countless others like you mentioned, but Toradora definitely has more substance. I don't find myself crying over the distraught faces of Doug when he can't confess his love.
That said, I find it hard to find in young anime fans (I'm a young anime fan to but... exception! lol) the desire to watch "old school" anime; which now the term old school means any anime before the 21st century. Time and time again I heard "It looks like crap."=_=
I just want to hit them over the head with any blunt object that may be nearby. How can someone say that about shows such as Macross, Kimagure Orange Road, Ranma, Vifam, Dunbine, Future Boy Conan, and the like. I just look down and say silly naive anime fan when will you learn the world does not consist of Naruto and Bleach.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:
Even if ratings aren't tracked, the old shows have the top ratings,mostly because they aim at a wider demographic and are shown on the most convenient broadcast hours. Of course they are also accompanied by the appopriate advertisements.

Exactly. When you watch Sazae-san what are the ads and who are the sponsors? Cars, food, beer, etc. Children aren't the target audience. But we're drifting away from the problem. Look back at the question:
Quote:
Do younger anime fans have the same reluctance to watch shows that haven't recently been made, or do they possess a greater drive to have older classics in their arsenals of Otaku-dom?

The answer is YES, they also don't like old shows. To assume that children in Japan are anxious to watch the original Gundam, Lupin III, and Astro Boy is as ludicrous as saying that American kids are craving to watch Steamboat Willie, Bugs Bunny, and Flintstones.
MackDaddyHart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
It seems Brain is going to get some real flakes for now on HIGH 5

And the anime "fans" who claim old anime is lame are weird. How can you love Shuffle! but hate Tenchi Muyo? Love Nanoha but dislike Cardcaptors and Sailor Moon? Or enjoy *insert show with love triangle/Yandere* and not give Urusei Yatsura a look? Everything you love about these new shows is a direct copy from the old shows. I'm 18 and I am huge lover of older shows because I know we wouldn't have these great new shows without these just as great older shows. This is a harsh generalization but people calling old shows lame obviously didn't grow up with a TV and Toonami or just watch anime today because of the pretty girls with big boobs and thinks it's amazingly original. REALITY PUNCH: 99% of anime today has a show that's very similar and at least 10 years older than it and you look away simply because it's hand drawn.

Note: old anime obsessives are just as bad.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
Answerman, please don't try to act like Zac. You are supposed to answer the questions. Not rant about your personal problems with a show that you have not even watched.

Light novels are not romance novels for men. They are novels of small size, are often easy to read and often have pictures. Just because you are not aware of light novels outside of certain type does not mean others doesn't exist.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
MackDaddyHart wrote:
I'm 18 and I am huge lover of older shows because I know we wouldn't have these great new shows without these just as great older shows.

This serves as little motivation to go back and watch them, though. A lot of the great music of today we probably wouldn't have had if musicians like Bach didn't pave the road for them, and yet few people go around listening to his stuff these days.

MackDaddyHart wrote:

Thank you.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quote
MackDaddyHart wrote:
It seems Brain is going to get some real flakes for now on HIGH 5

And the anime "fans" who claim old anime is lame are weird. How can you love Shuffle! but hate Tenchi Muyo? Love Nanoha but dislike Cardcaptors and Sailor Moon? Or enjoy *insert show with love triangle/Yandere* and not give Urusei Yatsura a look? Everything you love about these new shows is a direct copy from the old shows. I'm 18 and I am huge lover of older shows because I know we wouldn't have these great new shows without these just as great older shows. This is a harsh generalization but people calling old shows lame obviously didn't grow up with a TV and Toonami or just watch anime today because of the pretty girls with big boobs and thinks it's amazingly original. REALITY PUNCH: 99% of anime today has a show that's very similar and at least 10 years older than it and you look away simply because it's hand drawn.

You do know that Nanoha was aimed at guys right? Its a magical girl shonen like Cutey Honey was intended to be.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
Feeling the pain from the Toradora! backlash, Brian?
The Internets hath no fury like a fanbase scorned. Twisted Evil

But, nah, whatever. Toradora! ain't like you said, but it certainly looks like it from the outside, so it's hardly the gravest misdemeanour to have made that assumption. Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
The light novel publishing genre spans everywhere between the equivalent of the young adult novels and otaku aimed novels with too many pictures to be marketed as novels. Of course, the point is that they are supposed to be easier reads than regular novels. The romance novels for men are a (small) subsection of it.

Most of the light novel series I know of are science fiction or fantasy: Full Metal Panic!, Slayers, Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc.

Marimite is aimed at girls.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
Brian Hanson (in his column) wrote:
There hasn't been enough time for any particular show to pass that sort of test, unless you want to count cult-related oddities like..., dare I say it, Robotech.

Robotoch is merely a cult hit???!!! GAH! Say it ain't so, Brian! Robotech was the show that definitively demonstrated for me the mediocrity of the so-called "plots" of U.S. anime. It just blew me away*! I know that the graphics show their age, but it just saddens me to think that the latest generation would be turned off by that. It's like saying that Fritz Lang's Metropolis is no longer any good because it's a silent film.

*Although, admittedly, I did not at the time know that Robotech was an amalgam of different Japanese anime. Certainly, I had no clue that it had been severely -- perheaps even savagely -- edited in the fashion that it was.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

Quote:
Do younger anime fans have the same reluctance to watch shows that haven't recently been made, or do they possess a greater drive to have older classics in their arsenals of Otaku-dom?

The answer is YES, they also don't like old shows.

Well they do watch Doraemon, Hakaba Kitaro or Chibi Maruko-chan etc. These shows are originally pretty old, but of course they are airing new episodes / series each week afaik ... so it's kind of old and new at the same time - but at least the art style hasn't changed from what I've seen, so I think you can consider them "old style".

I'm still not too sure who watches Shin-chan, but this one is still pretty popular as well.

oh yeah, the wonderful Kino's Journey is also a light novel. I'm still waiting for the second volume to be published in english. Anybody knows if it's going to happen at all? >.<

Last edited by maaya on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11