• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gimme Cl'mores

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
Anybody know how faithful the Karin anime is to the manga (Chibi Vampire)? I don't mind minor changes but I'm sometimes cautious of anime that diverge greatly from the manga I read, which can be a huge hit or miss.

The Karin anime is not very faithful to the manga at all. The anime took a much more light-hearted route, AND has a major character (Winner) who is NOT in the manga at all (but who serves to more thoroughly develope a side character that I feel is neglected in the manga - Karin's best friend, Maki!)

But you know what - I love both versions of Karin (although I haven't finished the manga, because the last volume isn't out until September!) I think that both the manga and anime are great, and I love that you can experience two different versions of the story. The light novels are also great and are separate stories that intertwine with the manga. There is so much opportunity for entertainment with Karin ~ I love it! ♥
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
And P.S. is Ikki Tousen really THAT bad? I've always wanted to see it ... from what little I've seen, I liked it (thought it was sexy good fun!) Would it be worth $20-$30 for the whole series (13 episodes)?

Any fans out there willing to defend it? Very Happy
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
So, Ikki's fanservice is used to make up for its pathetic action scenes, dialog, and plot. Wonderful.
*removes it from my want list.

This is obviously a series I must preview in its entirety before purchasing.

As for Karin, I've only caught one episode of this show and liked it. The "unvampire" aspect seems appealing, so this will be a "blind buy" for me, despite the review. I love campy anime, and this series just screams it.

Not sure about Claymore just yet. I'll need to do more research, and the review was helpful. Elfen Lied seems to be gaining speed on my "to purchase" list. Dunno why, but I'm guessing it has to do with ep. 1 and its blood bath. Mmmmm.

Odd thing is, I haven't seen many previews for Claymore. I wonder why.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
Ramune2 wrote:
That's actually what came to my mind when reading the review for IT. Sort of like the female version of DBZ or FotNS. I LOVE stories with strong female leads and as long as they aren't objectifying while at the same time trying to be serious, I don't see a problem. That said, I was hoping Ikki Tousen would be a decent show as it seemed up my alley. But from what I'm hearing, not only is it full of fanservice (which isn't the problem), but it's half-assed, the fighting wasn't done that well (bunch of single frames, wth?), and just the overall production seems to toe the mediocre line. Does the manga fair any better at least?

Well, the poor animation isn't an issue, at least. Although the fanservice is definitely more extreme than the anime, the whole thing still comes across as 'so bad it's actually kind of amusing'. There is a plot in there, but you'll have to pay attention pretty hard, and in the end it may not be worthwhile.

If it's just over-the-top craptastic ass-kicking ass-flashing you're after, the author of this manga also has another series - Battle Club. Absolutely no pretence at a plot there! Wink I'm in total agreement with Bamboo on this; both titles are ridiculous, laughable tosh. But you know what? I like to laugh.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
So, Ikki's fanservice is used to make up for its pathetic action scenes, dialog, and plot. Wonderful.
*removes it from my want list.

Yeah, judging from comments you've made about fan service before, PJ, I know that Ikki Tousen wouldn't be your cup of tea. It is mine, though. "Boobie bombs" + shredded clothes + pantsu = hours of good, clean fun for Blood-.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, judging from comments you've made about fan service before, PJ, I know that Ikki Tousen wouldn't be your cup of tea. It is mine, though. "Boobie bombs" + shredded clothes + pantsu = hours of good, clean fun for Blood-.

"Fan service" in a series never bothers me (certain exclusions apply), but based on the comments in this thread, the decision to remove (as a purchase) was obvious until I view it (for free) to change my mind.

Hell, I may just end up buying it because I can tolerate the stills and crap dialogue.

I just loved Kiddy Grade. Eclair's wonderful, wonderful short skirts. But the story kicked ass too!
Very Happy
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Blood- wrote:

"Fan service" in a series never bothers me (certain exclusions apply), but based on the comments in this thread, the decision to remove (as a purchase) was obvious until I view it (for free) to change my mind.

Hell, I may just end up buying it because I can tolerate the stills and crap dialogue.
Very Happy

Hey, if you don't mind a dub, you can view it right now on ANN. And even if you do, you can still at least view the first few eps subbed.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I thought I posted here earlier? Very weird indeed.

I really enjoyed purchasing Karin and reading Chibi Vampire. I actually bought the 2007 boxset that houses all six volumes. I really enjoyed the English audio and overall story, not to mention Karin. Karin's voice actor was exceptionally talented (how many actors can make a valley girl impression and then laugh about it? Not many I know.).

Yes, I do wish there wasn't any fanservice in this game, but at least the fanservice is minimal. I'll admit this series isn't masterpiece material, but this show does have a plot and consistancy. The manga version is better, but the anime version also has its merits as well. Karin is a fun series and despite the fanservice, its quite enjoyable.

As for Ikki Tousen, I still can't belive Funimation wasted money on that garbage. But I suppose if it sells, then it will keep them in business longer. I'll never watch this show though.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I watched Ikkitousen back when Geneon was releasing it. I actually enjoyed it and thought it was good sexy fun. Nothing spectacular, but for what it was, it wasn't terrible either. I didn't particularly like the ending though, but from what I understand, there are more sequels to this show, so maybe that would help it out.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Aren't some of you sort of showing a double standard here? Oh sure, women (FICTIONAL women, I might add, we're not talking about real people here) getting clothing ripped off is apparently sexist, but a guy has his shirt rip off during a power-up (which is arguable even less logical) or another method, and no one complains. That's not even exclusive to anime, how many shirts do you think Samurai Jack had to pay for before the series ended?

Show me where I said anything pertaining to men removing their clothing. Don't put words into my mouth, please.
jenthehen wrote:
And P.S. is Ikki Tousen really THAT bad? I've always wanted to see it ... from what little I've seen, I liked it (thought it was sexy good fun!) Would it be worth $20-$30 for the whole series (13 episodes)?

Any fans out there willing to defend it? Very Happy

You can check it out for free.
Go to the top of this page.
Click the "video" tab.
Click "anime".
Scroll about halfway down the page.
Ikki Tousen.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Don't know where they got their copy of the complete Karin series for their review. It didn't show up at Best Buy or Suncoast where I live. Instead on the date it was supposed to be released, it went to immediate back order.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know where they got their copy of the complete Karin series for their review. It didn't show up at Best Buy or Suncoast where I live. Instead on the date it was supposed to be released, it went to immediate back order.

Karin has been around for almost two years now, so either the stores don't have the complete series yet or they might be out of stock.

There is always the individiual volumes if the complete series isn't in stores yet. That is what I did, since the complete series wasn't out yet when I started the series two years ago.
Myznomer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Well, the poor animation isn't an issue, at least. Although the fanservice is definitely more extreme than the anime, the whole thing still comes across as 'so bad it's actually kind of amusing'. There is a plot in there, but you'll have to pay attention pretty hard, and in the end it may not be worthwhile.

I watched Ikki Tousen quite a while ago, and enjoyed it. I didn't really notice anything to bad with the animation, though I was less discerning then. However, I take issue with the fact that "it may not be worth it in the end", because that is exactly when it becomes worth it. The theme of destiny, and the various schemes of characters to avoid it, culminating in Toutaku's "keikaku doori" moment. The end is where it all comes together.

Also, Claymore ending pissed me off to no end. Right up until that moment, it had been a beautiful work of art, and then Raki ruins everything. I hated that kid from the beginning. I still profess my love for the series...but good lord, that ending.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Karin has been around for almost two years now, so either the stores don't have the complete series yet or they might be out of stock.

There is always the individiual volumes if the complete series isn't in stores yet. That is what I did, since the complete series wasn't out yet when I started the series two years ago.

According to the stores, they didn't receive it at all. When looked on their distribution systems, it was listed as a back order, and this was on the Karin complete series release date.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
The Karin anime is not very faithful to the manga at all. The anime took a much more light-hearted route, AND has a major character (Winner) who is NOT in the manga at all (but who serves to more thoroughly develope a side character that I feel is neglected in the manga - Karin's best friend, Maki!)

Ari-chan wrote:
Not really all that faithful at all. It pretty much adapts up to volume 2 before derailing into it's own thing. Most of the episodes that are adapted from manga material are faithful enough, but not completely. If that kind of thing really bugs you, then you might have a problem, but otherwise the anime is fun anyway.

Good, I prefer a divergence between the mediums rather than guessing which will pull it off better. That and the manga/novels will almost always win in my book (PNOI,) as they usually have the time/space to go into more depth on characters and backstories/story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5