• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Box 01

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
But, Goku doesn't sound like a manchild he sounds like a prepubescent 12 year old girl. And that's just creepy for a full grown man to sound like that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
But, Goku doesn't sound like a manchild he sounds like a prepubescent 12 year old girl. And that's just creepy for a full grown man to sound like that.

I think you're exaggerating. He does sound high-pitched and chirpy, but Nozawa's adult Goku voice is different from her voice for him as a child.

She certainly breathes more life into the role than Ian Corlett or Sean Schemmel. I was sometimes a fan of Peter Kelamis in the role, though.

Strangely enough, the only dub voice for Goku I've really come to respect is the one for the parody series, DBZ Abridged. MasakoX has just the right amount of everything to make for the right sound for Goku in English.

Yikes, I never intended for this to become a debate about the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I didn't think I said anything that controversial. I'm especially surprised there are still fans of the English dub.

Most people like the dub for DBZ over the sub. We prefer Goku sounding like a man not girl.

I also prefer a more manly Goku, but the FUNimation dub is still pretty bad. Awkward voice acting, and terrible scripting. The Ocean dub that was my nostalgia trip (that'll likely never be released on DVD) fixes some of the awkward voice acting, but still suffers from the same horrible script. That and recycled Megaman, and Monster Rancher music.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The Ocean dub that was my nostalgia trip (that'll likely never be released on DVD) fixes some of the awkward voice acting, but still suffers from the same horrible script. That and recycled Megaman, and Monster Rancher music.

Also, Power Rangers music. After all, it was Shuki Levy who composed the music at first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I probably can and would type up a better review if Zac asked me to.

Do it then. Write up your own review and post it here in the forum.

Unless you're willing to actually put in the effort to do so though and back up your claims, please stop talking shit. Because that's really all it is. Empty talk with nothing to back it up.

Quote:
Doing a quick cut job of the bs....let's see.

Wow, I'm clearly no match for your superior arguing skills. In one deft move you've avoided addressing my entire series of criticisms simply by declaring them 'bs'. Most people would just selectively address the ones they think they can argue against but you...you're on a whole other level of debate mastery.

Quote:
These same people with the same criticism still haven't read the manga. They still haven't even seen the Japanese version of the show so of course their opinion will stay the same.

Okay, you are aware that this is a review of the anime right? Not the manga. If you feel that the manga is much better or that once you've read the manga you appreciate the anime more then by all means say so. However, it's absurd to criticize a review of the anime for not having read the manga.

Quote:
I admit that Dragonball isn't the "OMG teh Greatestest show EVAR", it sure isn't mines. But it's better than what most people give credit for.

Yes, which is why I'll again ask: What exactly would it take for this review to please you? It's really fairly positive. It hardly seems so different from your point of view that there's any reason to be as critical as you are being.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
Give me a week to finish the Dragonbox 1. Exams and stuff are close so it will take a minute to write a review. It's odd that this is a "good" review but it doesn't actually review the content of the episodes.
ikillchicken wrote:
Wow, I'm clearly no match for your superior arguing skills. In one deft move you've avoided addressing my entire series of criticisms simply by declaring them 'bs'. Most people would just selectively address the ones they think they can argue against but you...you're on a whole other level of debate mastery.
I really don't understand how it's a good review and then later on the writer claims you need to "turn your brain off" to somehow enjoy this show. Is that good writing? Because if I read that without any prior knowledge of the show, I'd avoid it like that girl at the party who has herpes.

Quote:
Okay, you are aware that this is a review of the anime right? Not the manga. If you feel that the manga is much better or that once you've read the manga you appreciate the anime more then by all means say so.
That is almost what I'm saying. Also, you need to have seen Dragonball in order for most of DBZ to make any sense. Reading the manga helps a lot because it reduces all the staring, filler, and nonsense.

Quote:
Yes, which is why I'll again ask: What exactly would it take for this review to please you? It's really fairly positive. It hardly seems so different from your point of view that there's any reason to be as critical as you are being.
I'm critical on the language of the review and how it just comes off as being another "Dragonball Z is WWE on steroids fighting with long staring times". If I'm somebody new to the series, after reading that whole review, I totally would avoid picking up this release. Especially the language in the last paragraph which is used as the caption on the main page. This is all despite knowing for a fact that the reviewer is one of the most passionate Dragonball fans around.
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No matter how many times you dress up Dragon Ball Z - which Funimation has done many times now - it's still Dragon Ball Z.

Laughing You say that like it's a bad thing.

Fallen Wings wrote:
If 20 reviewers say, 'The main character sucks because he has no character and is a rip off from *Insert character here*'. Then maybe the main character sucks, has no character and is a sub par version of another one.

The thing is that Dragonball predates most of those generic Shonen Jump series that they would be comparing him to. So in other words the characters in Dragonball aren't ripoffs of other Shonen Jump characters. Rather the characters of today's manga and anime have built on the archetypes set in Dragonball. I'm not saying that just because something came first means it's better, but you can't accurately call it a "ripoff."

ikillchicken wrote:
Are you perhaps under the impression that DBZ is some manner of caterpillar? Did you expect it to have built a little dragon box shaped cocoon and metamorphosed into a different show since it's last release? No? Then why is it you expected people's views to have changed on it?

Well frankly, people's views HAVE changed. Certainly not since the last DVD release of Dragonball, but since the days when people admitted to liking anime like Dragonball without everyone thinking they were joking. Of course the anime itself hasn't changed, but people's view of it has.

Quote:
And there it is. Rather than dick around trying to actually refute their criticism with any kind of intelligent analysis or counter-points you go right for the jugular and imply they're biased.

Yeah, sure he could've provided some backup information. But really when it comes to Dragonball, what's been said has been said. And sadly most people ARE already biased one way or another.

Quote:
I really must ask though, what is it you want? I really must question your credibility though if you'd deny that DBZ is in fact 'that kind of thing'. It is not high art. Sorry, it really really isn't.

I'm guessing what he wants is similar to what I want: an end to the inconsistency and hypocrisy. Like he was saying, there are certain manga/anime properties (Dragonball, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc...) that it has simply become "cool" to ridicule whenever possible. And it's not because they're "just that kind of thing" because they're very similar to lots of other Shonen Jump properties that don't suffer such universal criticism. Besides, you're questioning his credibility based on his position, implying that just having such an opinion is completely unreasonable. Isn't that in itself bias?

Daimao Raki wrote:
But when your tagline states you gotta "strap on your nostalgia googles" to enjoy or understand a show, it's just like the rest of the reviews that don't give the show a fair shake.

Yes. Sure, as people have been saying, it was an overall positive review. But the author does still manage to either intentionally or unintentionally slip in a veiled condescension by implying that the main (if not the only) reason Dragonball has any merit is nostalgia. I think that's a fallacy. There was a time when I hated everything Dragonball, so my interest now is not nostalgia-based.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Some of you are cartoonishly sensitive.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Not necessarily. I just want a straight review of the show. We get these for Naruto, Bleach, and just about every property.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess dub/sub arguments are abound in every post/review regarding a popular Shonen Jump property or any anime for that matter. The Dragon Box was pretty much intended for the purist fanbase, so having a review in that mindset is pretty much suitable. The "phasing out" of the Johnson/Falcouner scores and keeping the namings on character puns & attacks with rough translations on the Dragon Book is pretty much evidence of this. It's certainly not to say that the casual fan can't enjoy it, but it's pretty much Dragon Ball Z in its pure, unaltered form.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Zac wrote:
Not necessarily. I just want a straight review of the show. We get these for Naruto, Bleach, and just about every property.

This is a straight review. You're focusing on one or two sentences you personally wouldn't have put in there, and then basically overreacting. I have news for you - virtually every action series (not to mention action movie) out there gets a "shut your brain off and enjoy!" sort of review blurb from critics. It's not some horrible insult, it's just saying that it isn't particularly cerebral material. If that's oh-so-offensive and incorrect to you, great, you can have your opinion of Dragonball Z. I personally don't care.

I realize IKillChicken goaded you into "writing your own review" but just be aware that I am not particularly interested in it, nor am I interested in publishing it.

It's a fair review. Get over it. You're blinded by partisan fandom.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
To think someone would rate Dragon Ball Z this well. This reviewer must be some kind of patience saint.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Have any of you read the back of the box? It's pretty funny as well as true that this is what we've been waiting for over 20 years to have the actual uncut series in a clear cut set. Why the f*** it took them this long is goddamn insulting but I'm happy it's finally happening.

Truly to me, Funi's still saying FU and releasing it with Eng audio, thus killing the episode count when the original Dragon Boxes had 1-147 and 148-291 instead of Nine Box sets from hell. Again.

And you know what? Like abused Haruhi fans,we keep coming back for more.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Zac wrote:

It was a straight review, and it was mostly positive. You're getting upset over something that's really not worth getting upset over.
You seem to be focusing on the fact that the reviewer said that Dragon Ball Z is something that you 'turn your brain off' for. That in and of itself is not a bad thing. There are plenty of great movies and TV shows that you switch your brain off for, but that doesn't mean that they're garbage or trash. Sometimes a person wants to kick back, and not have to devote a lot of heavy thought to whatever it is they're watching.
For example, right now I'm working on a huge load of Christmas knitting and have been watching a ton of Rifftrax, as it's entertaining, but isn't so complex that I can't focus on my work. It's definite no-brainer entertainment, but it's still enjoyable. Judging from the review, Dragon Ball Z would fit the criteria of being entertaining, but not too 'heavy'
Honestly, you're coming across as being a bit rude, as you keep demanding a new review, claiming you could do better, saying it's not a 'serious' review, etc. You're entitled to your opinion, but, at the same time, you're coming across as being insulting towards PenguinTruth.
Dragon Ball Z isn't exactly an intellectual show, and I think the reviewers assessment of the show was very fair. He wasn't making fun of it, and, honestly, reading the review, he came across as a fan of the show, since he seemed to be quite knowledgeable about it, both in the review, and here on the forum.

Edit: Oops, sorry, Zac. I basically repeated what you said. My fault for not reading ahead.

Last edited by Quark on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Zac wrote:

This is a straight review. You're focusing on one or two sentences you personally wouldn't have put in there, and then basically overreacting.

It's a fair review. Get over it. You're blinded by partisan fandom.
I'm not being partisan. It's just that blurb would have caused me to not even consider buying this or any Dragonball product. But that must be the position of the site or whatever. I didn't find the blurb offensive, I just found it snarky and un-needed. If you gonna have a straight up review on something, there really isn't any need for language that most won't even get. I know penguintruth's writing style and can appreciate where he's coming from. Dragonball ain't deep thought provoking, that's a given. But if somebody told me I have to turn my brain to enjoy something, I'd pass over it as trash. In all the reviews I read of generic shonen and [insert whatever genre], the reviewers never say you need to turn your brain off. More on the lines of "Sit back and enjoy it for what it is".

It's a decent review, I'll give him that. But he could have been more straight forward in his language.. If this is a forum where we are allowed a small version of "free speech"(funny I know), I should be allowed to right to react however. Debate or discussion is allowed right? I know this is your site and all but good lord. I'm not being partisan towards Dragonball. I just call it like I see it. Am I not allowed to have a negative reaction to something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6