• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Market Bars All Kuroko's Basketball Circles, Items

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
While it sucks for the fans, lives are still more important than freakin' doujins. What the comiket is doing is the best solution at this current situation. It's easy to just ignore terrorist threat when your butt is not on the line. The only one to blame right now is the cops for being incompetent for not catching the culprit yet.
eveil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I still challenge this guy to fight me in person.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
(almost 1/3 of the doujin artist were for Kuroko)

100% incorrect. Tiger and Bunny alone has 2x the amount of BL circles than Kuroko.

Nonetheless it's still a lot of booths affected

dormcat wrote:
boznia wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, there were a few hundred circles for Kuroko expected to be there. Even as someone not interested in Kuroko dōjinshi, that's a terrible loss. Sad

A map of Kuroko-related circles. If I count it correctly, there are about 450.

Do they have other doujinshi to offer? If not, are they going to be replaced? Isn't the selection by lottery? so I must imagine there are others who wanted to get in but couldn't?
scineram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The terrorists have won.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
This is crazy. On the other hand, it took 7 years for the United States to declare the culprit in the anthrax case (which actually killed 5 people), and they had no evidence that he actually did it. They just took the fact that he committed suicide as a confession.

Shh! Don't list that incident. Then we can't berate and single out Japanese police as being 'useless' like we love doing despite apparently all being here for Japanese culture apparently Rolling Eyes
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the heroic voice in me says that they should allow for the Kuroko's Basketball Circles to attend Comiket, and let the attendees decide for themselves if they're willing to take the risk of attending in defiance of the terrorist threat. I can understand the pragmatism in not wanting lives to be hurt or killed over comics, but there's wisdom in the saying that it's better to die on your feet than on your knees.

For the record, properties like Kuroko's Basketball annoy the heck out of me (I much prefer varied character designs like in Slam Dunk to the pandering pretty-boy designs of Kuroko) but I stand by artists rights to make and sell what they want regardless of what kinds of works they choose to make.

As for police criticism for not catching the criminal, I think it may be a bit unwarranted. The Unabomber mailed explosives across the United States for almost 20 years without getting caught, and that was only because his brother turned him in. I'm sure Japanese police are doing everything they can to catch this guy, and without being there on the ground to see the work they're doing I think it's unfair to criticize them.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
The main reason that there is policy to not comply with terrorist demands is because that encourages them to keep making them.

Stop doing that, Japan. Concentrate on finding and stopping this guy, not giving in constantly and encouraging him to make ever-bolder moves.

Though hopefully, they track him down before long.

luisedgarf wrote:
American/Western logic doesn't work in Japan, dude.

Hey. hey, don't lump the rest of the west in with America! Laughing Not all of us prioritize sticking a huge middle finger up at terrorists Wink

Being concerned with safety should never be considered weak or foolish. It's easier to criticize people for giving in when it's not you or your family in danger of such threats. We should just be thankful there's no victims so far. Maybe once you get older you'll realize there's more important things than your pride, such as the safety of those you care about.

But all is not lost, basketball lovers, people can still sell their doujins are popular sites like Toranoana and DLsite. Lots of people who cant go to Comiket or sell in the off season use a variety of sites to sell their creations. The smut will live on Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
It's easy to call other people out for being risk-averse when it's not your butt at risk.

Don't be like that. I know I wouldn't feel unsafe going to Comiket, even if no extra security was put in place. You have a higher chance of being struck by lightning than being hurt by one of his almost harmless packages; there is such a thing as acceptable risk.

This guy has no displayed any ability to actually hurt people on a mass or even moderate scale. The worst he could do is cause a panic and hope that it turns into a stampede, but even that can be done by simply hitting the fire alarm. Giving in to him is the stupid option, as this just lends him credibility and encourages him and others to pull further stunts.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Being concerned with safety should never be considered weak or foolish. It's easier to criticize people for giving in when it's not you or your family in danger of such threats. We should just be thankful there's no victims so far. Maybe once you get older you'll realize there's more important things than your pride, such as the safety of those you care about.
Here's the problem. If threatening and attacking people becomes an effective way of getting them to behave in the way you want, then it is ourselves and our famlies in danger. It's not a matter of pride, it's a matter of public safety.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. The more you give into them the more they'll bully you.

And it is especially stupid to give in to the offender's demands when he has displayed no capability to actually hurt people using this substance.
catbert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
The horrible thing now is that some people suspect the manga and its fans in non anime oriented sites. Absolutely disgusting. Way to show your backboned, comiket.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
catbert wrote:

Read it earlyer but man that guy is f***** up. I strongIy suggest everyone read that.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
catbert wrote:

Well that was creepy. Provided those posts are actually legit it just makes the cops seem even more incompetent for not being able to track down the person if their being this showy about the whole thing.

From some of those posts it almost sounds like the culprit's female...but that construction job thing makes it hard to say...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
She's not a Fujoshi the same way a lot of the Otaku on this site will swear up and down that they aren't otaku.

If she said she is not into BL then she is not a fujoshi. Fujoshi is not the female equivalent of Otaku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6