• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches 2 BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
In any case, SW is one of those shows I like without really knowing WHY. I...just do.

Oh, we all have those. Definitely nothing to feel ashamed about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
On my post on KLAC. Several posters made me realize that my post was a bit jerky. I apologize to KLAC if I was rude and insensitive in any way. I did not realize that KLAC has special dispensation from ANN.

That being said, I still do not understand why ANN gives special dispensations. I do not have anything against people with disabilities (if this is the case here), but I would think that perhaps it would not be such a good idea for people with trouble communicating to participate in online discussions.

[Sorry for the delay in my response. I was ready to go to sleep when I realized my mistake]
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
I quote teh rules:

Quote:
English Language Usage

These forums are English-language forums. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.

I believe KLAC is some sort of foreigner that has requested a respite from teh rules.

Or a space alien. I'm not exactly sure.

(Btw, this is my lame attempt at comedy. KLAC isn't really nearly as interesting as he used to be though. I miss those days.)

Last edited by 誤称 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I quote teh rules:

Quote:
English Language Usage

These forums are English-language forums. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.

I believe KLAC is some sort of foreigner that has requested a respite from teh rules.

Or a space alien. I'm not exactly sure.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. Smile
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Frankly Eve, you instigated this with your initial insult and "assessment" of dtm's behavior which was "not an insult" but clearly was.

Frankly? I can't agree to this, as it's clearly personal. If you were actually approaching this from a moderator's position, you would have started with the post that started it:

dtm42 wrote:
I don't like the idea of Strike Witches - it looks like a terrible bottom-feeding show - but even I have to admit that FUNimation's War on Pants tagline is quite clever.

Generally, discussions would require reasons be included with such statements, but this forum allows one-liners to be posted frequently.

Quote:
Had you tried to argue against dtm's points maybe this would have been avoided, but instead you made it personal and attacked him directly instead of simply countering his points and explaining why he was wrong.

Wait. Would this advice be to those points he didn't make on the first post or those he made after my post you deemed insulting?

See, now you're in a pickle, moderator. Because my post wasn't an insult, it was respect. I don't know what rules dtm42 applies to individual series as he watches them, but I know enough that this series would never garner a viewing from him. I know he does not have the ability to separate his "rules" from a series like this to enjoy it.

Knowing this, go back and re-read my post. Now read his list.

Let this be a lesson to you, please. Maybe if you took a few seconds to figure out the situation or ask why I made my comment, all the rest of this could have been avoided, especially when you clearly see another user finding dtm42's post as trollish once he confirmed why he'd never watch the series while arguing against anyone foolish enough to counter his "points".

You know this is how dtm42 works, yet all this knowledge clearly gets tossed out the window for the sake of "frankly".

Want to know what's insulting? Look at this:
Keonyn wrote:
You see, that's just a load of bull and most of that comes across as someone who has decided they want to dislike the holidays and simply hunts down the things they hate to justify it on an annual basis under the guise of "resetting their appreciation".

Oh, wait, that's not an insult. That's exactly what I did in this thread.

No worries. I don't take this stuff personally, so water under the bridge and all that. See you when we dance again, Keonyn.

And dtm42: knock this crap off already. If you want me to respect your posts, don't ever pull this stunt again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I very much enjoyed the first Strike Witches series, so I hope the second stacks up. I haven't read the review because I like being at information zero going in.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood-: The main point of the review is that you'll almost certainly like the second season if you liked the first one, as it's mostly more of the same.

And Mesonoxian Eve: You really, really need to chill. I can easily see why your comment to dtm42 was taken as an insult even though you said it wasn't intended that way (in fact, I cringed when I first read it because I knew it would stir up trouble) and Keonyn wasn't out of line to call you out on it; I didn't do it myself in my "let's end this" post only because I forgot to. There was nothing out of line about dtm42's initial statement, so there was nothing for us to come down on there. This looks like a case where you came across way harsher than what you had intended, but it happened nonetheless.

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Thanks for the head's up. I was going to blind buy the second season in any case, but it's nice to have a general sense of what I'm in for.
kikiyo2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I <3 this show so much I even bought Funimation's set and that's saying something.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
No Key, I didn't expect this to turn into a crapstorm.

And since Mesonoxian Eve has now resumed his bizarre attack against me I want to clear some things up to try and calm this down.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
And dtm42: knock this crap off already. If you want me to respect your posts, don't ever pull this stunt again.

I never once insulted you in this thread. The Mods actually have it wrong; I did not find your initial post annoying or offensive. In fact I agreed with you. My reply to your first post was worded that way so as to get across the strength of my feeling towards the pandering premise; the "bloody eff" bit was not to attack you but simply added for emphasis. The "ahem" part was to mark a transition between the serious line before and the lighthearted and totally sarcastic (but still relevant) points which came after which explained my position. You know, because I thought I should explain the specific problems I had. And my points were on the mark (the girls really don't wear pants, their magic expires past a certain age, the girls bathe regularly), so it doesn't matter that I haven't seen the show.

In fact, the entire point was that I didn't want to watch Strike Witches, and my post was pretty much "I don't want to watch this show and here's seven reasons why". A perfectly legitimate statement, and I even gave reasons. It's no different than saying "I don't want to go to Belarus and here's seven reasons why" or "I refuse to go fire-walking and here's why". You accused me of being a troll but you're basing that on faulty logic. Of course I wouldn't have watched the show if I was just talking about why I didn't want to watch the show, so why would you expect me to have watched it? Hmm? I can't have both watched it and not watched it, so why are you upset that I couldn't do both? Are you going to pull a Fencedude on me and claim that only people who have seen a show in its entirety can talk about it, even if the discussion is about how the very premise is putting me off?

Given all this, I believe I am quite within my rights as to be completely baffled by your hostility. I'll say it again; I agreed with you that I wouldn't be able to look past the pandering, and then you jump down my throat as if I had just insulted your mother on the day of her funeral. I don't know why you took it the wrong way* but you clearly did. I want to point out that it was not my intention for you to take it the wrong way. either. Nor do I want you to continue to think I'm a troll when it is just a misunderstanding on your part. That's the reason I made this post, to clear up the confusion and misconceptions. Everything I said here is true, in that I am being completely honest and always have been in this thread. Whether you choose to believe me or not is up to you.

Or even what you took the wrong way. All of it, I think.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
No Key, I didn't expect this to turn into a crapstorm.

Oh please. You write:

dtm42 wrote:
I don't like the idea of Strike Witches - it looks like a terrible bottom-feeding show - but even I have to admit that FUNimation's War on Pants tagline is quite clever.

...about a show that is infamous for being a lightning rod show and you yourself are infamous for being an odious poster not liked by a large part of the ANN community (for excellent reasons) and you claim with a straight face that you didn't expect this turn into a crapstorm? Crapstorms are all you are interested in.

Mind you, you are the same person who can look at a picture of Yui and Asuna lying in bed, arms around each other, dressed only in panties and lingerie tops and claim not to see any attempt at eroticization, so clearly mendacity comes easily and naturally to you.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
First off; dtm and blood, knock it off. We're done here. Everyone has said their piece now. If people continue to insist on carrying this on then those posts will simply be removed.

Honestly Eve, I don't care about your justifications or how you care to spin your claim. You came in here and responded to dtm's post in a manner that really could hardly be seen as anything other than insulting. The sheer fact that you had to address that point and claim otherwise pretty much gives away what it was. It is not up to you to tell people how they think and what they will or will not like, that is up to them. You can't come in here and paint people with a brush and tell them the limitations of their own perception and expect it to be viewed as "respect".

I'm also not absolving dtm of any wrongdoing as I clearly specified that you were both guilty parties. Key, however, already addressed dtm's infraction so there was no reason for me to address that. Whether dtm's post was a troll post or not does not excuse the unnecessarily antagonistic response you provided.

As for my quote, I indicated how it came across to me, but didn't state that to be a factual representation other than how I perceived it. You made no attempt to indicate how you perceive his actions but instead just flat out said "this is how you think, and this is how your perception of art is limited".

Now, as someone who seems to be all about the rules, you know damn well there are proper channels to debate moderator actions. Stop trying to derail this thread because, believe it or not, some members of this forum want to actually discuss the review. As has been said, this line of discussion in this thread is done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Are you going to pull a Fencedude on me and claim that only people who have seen a show in its entirety can talk about it, even if the discussion is about how the very premise is putting me off?

If the very premise of a show is offputting to you, then the goddamn discussion stops right there.

Remember how I said, back in the season preview thread, that I wasn't going to watch Psycho Pass or BTOOOM because I didn't like the premises? Guess how much I've said about either show since then. Really. Take wild freaking guess.

If you plan to actually criticize a show (or a movie, or a game, or a book, or any other work), then yes, having an actual familiarity with it is 100% required.

You may or may not have to have seen all of it, but you have to at least be familiar enough with it to be able to discuss it intelligently.

This is not something I've just come up with, this is the entire goddamn basis of literary goddamn criticism. If you'd turned in a book report to your 5th Grade English teacher which stated, in so many words "I didn't read this, but I'm pretty sure it sucked", what grade would you have gotten? The same principle applies here.

Also, YOU HAVE TAKEN THIS EXACT SAME POSITION WITH PEOPLE WHO CRITICIZE YOUR FAVORITE WORKS. So spare me the indignation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Going to start handing bans out if the sniping and insulting doesn't stop.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I agree with dtm42. I do not like this show. But many people do, so there we are. A lot of people take criticism of this as an insult.

I did not plan to make a single post on a thread like this because I knew it would not be productive. And I myself *have* watched several episodes of the first season, and it was not remotely appealing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6