• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design our Icons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I like Nicole Peterson's the best so far. Very simple, neat, and clear.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Nicole Peterson's are the cleanest looking icons that convey the meaning the best, however I think Lissa's would be more aesthetically pleasing if it were not for all the dithering in the images. If Lissa's lost the gradient backgrounds they would be the best set out of the first batch of entries.
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
I think I like rosiethorns88 and RoninRune's entries best, at least from a stylistic standpoint. They've got a little flair to them, without being over the top. Frankly, they're pretty, whereas most of the other ones seem to be too utilitarian by my tastes.
an.atticus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
the ones by mark rune are kick ass
outlaw55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
I think I like rosiethorns88 and RoninRune's entries best, at least from a stylistic standpoint. They've got a little flair to them, without being over the top. Frankly, they're pretty, whereas most of the other ones seem to be too utilitarian by my tastes.

While I think RoninRune's are well done, I don't feel like they match the style of the existing ANN layout. rosiethorns88's look nice, but was a full set made?
sagess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
I think misscouzie is the best , it 's not a old fashion style icons like the majority of the contester and it's not a copy cat to take the point on i of the animenewsnetwork logo . the contest was to have new icons , not to take the old one and do little change on it .
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I like Ashlee's and Mugimaru's.

Ashlee's have clear iconic descriptors. Mugimaru's have the actual words contained in the icon. Either/or both would work well in telling me what the item is about.
-is Ashlee- ^^ Thank you.
It was honestly a lot of fun creating the icons - I hadn't worked in Illustrator since the beginning of my fall semester, so I felt rusty and achy going back into it after several months. Anime hyper
outlaw55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
sagess wrote:
I think misscouzie is the best , it 's not a old fashion style icons like the majority of the contester and it's not a copy cat to take the point on i of the animenewsnetwork logo . the contest was to have new icons , not to take the old one and do little change on it .

The contest was to make GOOD icons, not to make "drastically different" ones. If someone made ones that looked better than the rest but were close to the originals, they should still win.
sagess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Why did you put the good in big caracter , do you think misscouzie's icon are not good ? i never said that anybody wasn't good . i only said that they dont have any imagination Razz
rosiethorns88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments =)

outlaw55 wrote:

While I think RoninRune's are well done, I don't feel like they match the style of the existing ANN layout. rosiethorns88's look nice, but was a full set made?

Honestly I started making the icons 50 minutes before the deadline. xD I think I barely made it, entering in at exactly 12AM. Surprised to find it in the line up xP

I would have loved to make the full set, but at least partial entries were accepted.

Big fan of RoninRune's as well!
outlaw55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
sagess wrote:
Why did you put the good in big caracter , do you think misscouzie's icon are not good ? i never said that anybody wasn't good . i only said that they don't have any imagination Razz

That wasn't the meaning I was trying to convey... Laughing
Swiftstrike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
There are only 3 sets of icons that convey the category of the posting, and are still aesthetically pleasing.

Mugimaru904 - The icons may be simple but they easily visually identify the topic of the post. These icons are the most practical.

RoninRune - These icons are a bit more flashy and still visually express the topic of the post at a glance. I think the convention and interest icons should be reworked.

Tess Reid - I like the grainy bubble appearance of these icons. And they easily identifiable with the topic. They to not match the rest of the site's appearance which is their flaw.

The rest of the icon groups I find either too visually confusing or conflicting, or artistically inferior.
sagess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
sagess wrote:
Why did you put the good in big caracter , do you think misscouzie's icon are not good ? i never said that anybody wasn't good . i only said that they don't have any imagination Razz

That wasn't the meaning I was trying to convey... Laughing

i hate your sarcasm man . the only set of icons i love are misscouzie , roninrune and lissa.

why ... because they don't look old fashionned with fade color , amateur design and poor quality like we see in some unknow website .

and the fact that i picked misscouzie out of the 3 is :
fisrt : she didn't take the idea of everybody (the point on the i)
second : because the only icons i think it is mislanded on is set is the cat for the [misc] compared to roninrune who put a sort of star for [interest] a cat for [convention] and a simple R for [review]. lissa who put too a star for [interest] , a ...! and a ...? for [views] and [reviews] .

And third i think new is equal to NEW ... i thank that what the site wanted to promote ... new stuff to make the site look just as a new one.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
rosiethorns88 wrote:
Thanks for the comments =)

outlaw55 wrote:

Honestly I started making the icons 50 minutes before the deadline. xD I think I barely made it, entering in at exactly 12AM. Surprised to find it in the line up xP

I would have loved to make the full set, but at least partial entries were accepted.

I'd like to see a full set of yours. I like how the bottoms are just flat color, which will work nicely with the "anime," "manga" tags ANN would like to put under the icons. The 3 you have are pretty nice; it's too bad the set didn't get finished.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
sagess wrote:
i hate your sarcasm man.

Question Question Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9