• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Rock Shooter (OAV + TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I too, was disappointed in the drop in animation and artwork quality from OVA to TV series, but it's not surprising given that the budget per minute of an OVA will likely be higher.

However, in compensation, I am more drawn into the characters and the TV series seems to be doing a better job of making the link between the Black Shooter world and the real world clearer.
killmyself

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The OVA was really little more than a concept this is an actual story. The art isn't as good but that is to be expected and in saying that it isn't like they did a bad job with it.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind or care much about the design changes, but I have to say I'm impressed with the level of filtration on the CGI-animated alternate-world sequences. Almost crosses the uncanny valley safely.

As for the actual content of the episode, the victim, enabler and abuser dynamic I'm seeing here is rather refreshing. Surreal-emotional-coping-combat-symbolism and lesbian undertones aside, I'm not too disappointed with what's left of the episode. Feels like there's a bit more substance behind the whole "this is related to BRS and frenemies for more reasons than just avoiding animating a whole series of just the stuff you came to see".

Also wheelchairspoiler[-iot] Taiga is [expletive] creepy.
theoriginalrandomman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
How are you guys able to watch it? Are you using a site other than NND? Because when I click on BRS it says something about not being able to play it in my region.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Did you try using this link?

http://ch.nicovideo.jp/channel/blackrockshooter

I'll post this on the first page of this thread.
theoriginalrandomman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Did you try using this link?

http://ch.nicovideo.jp/channel/blackrockshooter

I'll post this on the first page of this thread.
No, I didn't, thanks a lot!

...and now that I've seen it, it's pretty obvious the TV anime is going to have the same problems as the OVA. They KNOW that people are watching this for the fantasy world, so if they really want to tell their story about middle school girls, couldn't they at least focus more on the allegorical part? It would not only make the show more fun to watch, but way more interesting.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
killmyself wrote:
The OVA was really little more than a concept this is an actual story. The art isn't as good but that is to be expected and in saying that it isn't like they did a bad job with it.

Mm, definitely. The art isn't bad by any stretch, it's just notably worse than the OVA. For some people (myself included) the schoolgirl part of the OVA was a bit wishy-washy and the production values were the only thing that saved it, especially during the BRS sequences. What the TV series has done thus far is offer us a trade-off and upped the ante on the story side a little to compensate for the art. They can't have OVA quality animation for the whole 8 episodes, so making the schoolgirl bits more interesting gives the whole thing a more well-rounded feel.

It's not a bad looking show at all, it just has the unfortunate fate of being preceded in the franchise by something that looked great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode, but since I had not seen the OVA first I decided to watch it before giving my opinion on the forum.

Firstly the OVA. I had seen fan art of Black Rock Shooter ages back, and for some reason it just appeals to me, though I guess I read a negative review of the OVA and decided not to watch it for some reason. Now that I have seen it, it seems stupid of me to base my choice by half reading one person's post, I actually rather enjoyed, I liked both the drama slice of life and pretty action. I probably would have liked more actual context of what the plot was, and the deal with the other world. From what I figured spoiler[Youmi was possesed/depressed and was taken by her evil alternate world counterpart, so the main girl fused with Black Rock Shooter, who kind of looks like her, to get her back.]

And thinking about the Anime after seeing the OVA, I guess looks good, seeing things mixed up a bit can work, I espedialy liked the introduction of the girl in a wheelchair. She seems some what familiar (not just looks), some good work for drama, although the alternate scenes left me wondering if spoiler[whether it is hapening simultaneously to match what she was going through, or it hapens later when a rescue.] I won't be able to compare the animation right now, I didn't think the first episode was that bad, but I did notice an improvement in the OVA when I watched it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first episode this weekend. I'm less than thrilled it's still mainly about Mato and her friends, but not surprised. It's not bad, but not really what I want from the title.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
Watched up to episode 4, and I am just loving this drama, seeing the characters twist out of all kinds of crazy mental pitfalls. The little arc with Kagari was rather interesting, that she was spoiler[useing guilt to keep Yomi to herself, and could not walk due to a psychological problem. But it was even better that I found it went in quite a mature way that Yomi had been enabling Kagari because it was easier for her.]

Reminds me of how in Madoka young girls were chosen for how their emotions could get so out of control. Seeing Yomi spoiler[lose a sense of purpose and feeling so isolated despite people trying to reach out to her because she wants to be someone's best friend.] It seems like it can be a real problem with people that age. It seems rather obvious that spoiler[the counciler] is the villain, but don't really have a reason yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
I'm basically enjoying the series while finding it kind of an uncomfortable experience. The drama around the girls is just so raw. I particularly felt bad for that spoiler[jockette who confessed to the boy and then was publicly humiliated for it. Then to see that her mind has been altered so that she doesn't even really seem to remember him, so therefore can't recognize his apology. It always bugs me, too, when adult villains manipulate/hurt younger characters.] Still, I keep watching.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen the OVA, but the television series has been really quite good, thus far at least. It's actually got some great scenes with the well-written characters, the storytelling is good, and the show is surprisingly adept at weaving the two worlds together.

I wouldn't call the show amazing but there's a competency about it all that I didn't expect and so am relishing. It's enjoyable, I care about the characters, the plot has piqued my curiosity; these are all positive signs. I also have minimal reservations or gripes, which is always nice.

After four episodes it's looking like one of the better shows of the Winter 2012 season. Not bad for a show that I thought would be garbage. Not bad at all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Also got to mention that the OP has been stuck in my head, I don't even know why, something about the person singing. Wait a little digging brings up it being sung by "Hatsune Miku", I don't really know much about that sort of thing, but isn't that some sort of virtual idol whos character is often referenced.

P.S. I realised it was a strange thing for me to say what I did in my previous post with this avatar. So in the spirit of avatar: These characters are M, except for the teacher and Kagari they are undoubtly S.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm certainly not as invested in this as some of you guys, but I don't have enough objections about the show to play devil's advocate, which is nice.

I did go through a period of thinking that Yomi is just being a brat, since being jealous of Yuu (who's been friends with Mato for much, much longer) is a bit selfish, but then I have to bear in mind that she's been so isolated for so long, the whole concept of ACTUAL friendship and being close to someone (who isn't manipulative) is new to her. She's been in a destructive relationship based on dependence, it's understandable she'd struggle with her feelings, and it doesn't help spoiler[some machiavellian sunshine councillor is driving wedges between people for shits and giggles.]

Returning to my opening sentence, I'm not fully invested in the characters yet, and some of the BRS sequences seem only loosely tied to what's going on, but that'll be down to my own perception. I'm sure they're explicitly about, umm, what they're supposed to be about. Yeah. It's still interesting though, and hasn't dipped into the realm of melodrama at all. With there being a supernatural element at work it doesn't look likely to, either.
dan7el

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the counciler is creepy as all get-out, but I don't know if we can safely identify her as a villian as of yet. She might be actually helping the girls -- sort of a Snape.

Interesting show, and I'll keep watching it if for no other reason than to hopefully find out what the dickens is actually going on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6