• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You Episode IV: A View Hope

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
Fanservice has destroyed my interest in plenty of shows, and most recently Demon Daimyo (the show mentioned on the cast) was one of those shows. I was genuinely interested in watching that show because of the premise but 10 minutes in and I lost count of the amount of panty shots, gag shots, and other random nonsense barred into fanservice anime.

It's really disappointing.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
It's always good to hear from Hope again. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I haven't kept up with her more recent reviews or anything, but generally speaking she's been the kind of critic who backs up her opinions without coming off as too conceited or closed-minded.

I don't know what to think about Scott Pilgrim, as someone with no related experience or expectations, but I may still give it a shot and see what happens. Just as well, I have nothing to say about Hetalia for now.

Let's just say I still own more VHS tapes (full of stuff recorded off TV that I may or may not be able to transfer to a more suitable format one day) than DVDs. There's a good chance I'd be more of a current collector if it were easier or cheaper to buy anime and manga digitally, as evidenced by all the Steam games I've bought in little more than a year. Online anime purchases can lead to some pretty good deals but shipping & handling plus import duties tend to be more of an issue for me. I still make a fair number of legal purchases from time to time (and nice extras or limited edition bonuses play a role in this) but they're minuscule compared to what they could be if a real digital distribution platform existed.

For better or for worse, I can actually have a relatively high resistance or tolerance for fanservice as long as the following applies: a)it's not too creepy, because there is always a personal limit to how far you can go. b)there is something genuinely interesting or at least entertaining about the show. If those two conditions are met, it's far more likely that I'll get through even if I have to shrug a few times.

Unnecessary distractions may count as a valid negative when it's time to write a review, no doubt, but on a purely personal level I'm far more likely to quit watching over boredom or confusion than fanservice itself these days. Not that I'm watching any anime at all right now, but still. Razz

I mean, if Godannar wasn't that bad of a show in spite of having one of the highest rates of fanservice per minute I've ever seen, then there's got to be a lot of leeway as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't deserve any sort of award or anything but then again sometimes that's perfectly alright. As long as you're willing to admit that there's far better stuff out in the marketplace and that fanservice is inherently trashy, most certainly, the rest tends to be a matter of mood and disposition more than anything else.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
It was quite the good call out show, so I guess it's time to give me two cents about the show:

Hetalia dub:

From what I have heard I liked it. Yes it's a bit amateurish and it's mean spirited, but I think it works. Will I buy the show when it comes out, well I don't know yet, If Funi puts more of the dub on either their site or Youtube I will check it out to see if this is a buy for me, or I will rent it if not.

Aaron and Collecting:

Even though I am older than Aaron (I'm 25) I still have a large physical media collection. To me if feels like an accomplishment if I purchase and have a large collection of what ever. I do have a fairly large anime collection which is still growing along with a decent but still growing manga collection. Now I don't go buying everything out there, I just usually purchase what I have an interest in and that's it. If I don't care for it when I rent it or the rarity that I stream it, I don't buy it.

What I also enjoy about having a large physical collection is that if my internet connection fails, or my PC fails for some reason I can still watch what I have not get behind on anything.

Fanservice:

I have no problem with shows that have fanservice in them that probably should not have them in there. I enjoy it, but I don't always want to see that.

Hope:

I've always enjoyed Hope's reviews both on this site and her video reviews. I always find them enjoyable and I generally don't disagree with what she reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And you cannot have a good show with four clip episodes.

So, why not pretend the episodes just don't exist and treat the show as a 22-episode series? Or does a show have to be at least 26 episodes long to be good? I guess no 13-episode series can be good, either.

Quote:
And yes, you do have to factor in the clip episodes.

Why, exactly?
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Well I gotta question here, why did Funimation find it necessary to change the script for the dub at all in the first place? I mean that's what I find to be really confusing here. It's not like we wouldn't understand the dialogue if they left it the way it was. Is Funimation really smug enough to think that they could do a better job writing the script than the original creators?

That's too bad about the Haruhi movie. I've been planning to watch it and was hoping that it would make up for the second season, but I guess not.

Man I'm really not a big Michael Cera fan at all, but if you guys love it that much maybe I'll give it a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
FUNi changed the script because they were having fun with it. It really doesn't matter since they have the original Japanese with faithful subtitles in the same release, so it's not like fans of the original aren't going to be able to own the original.

It probably snowballed. Fans wanted accents so they put in accents. Which led to silly jokes, which led to a bit more offensive jokes, and so on and so on. I honestly have absolutely zero interest in the original Hetalia, but if I liked the dub enough then I just may purchase it. So I'd say FUNi was trying for a broader audience with the dub, while still keeping fans of the original by providing the original. Though apparently those fans can no longer be satisfied with the original for some stupid and petty reason, I don't know.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

And you cannot have a good show with four clip episodes. You can't. Especially if the show isn't a hundred or more episodes. Even DBZ didn't have four clip episodes (though it hardly needed have any, since it moves so slowly). And yes, you do have to factor in the clip episodes. You know how many clip episodes YYH had? Uh, none, that I remember. I couldn't stand when Trigun had a clip episode. It was 26 episodes. If you have a clip episode in your 26 episode show, you have a problem. So four clip episodes is simply unacceptable.

This strikes me as a somewhat silly statement. No one likes recaps, but there was obviously some sort of major problem during production which caused there to be 4 straight episodes of recap, variously attributed to an earthquake or the SARs scare. I can't find official confirmation. Note that it's a 30 episode series, but the final 4 episodes weren't aired on TV, only on DVD. Broadcast schedules in Japan tend to be set in stone. In other words, it was planned from the start to be a 26 episode series. Obviously something went very wrong with that plan. Why can't the 4 episodes of recap be skipped entirely and the show be judged as a 26 episode show? It's not as if you miss anything by doing so. Unless if you have some OCD-like compulsion that forces you to watch the recap episodes, I don't see why you would watch them.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So I'd say FUNi was trying for a broader audience with the dub, while still keeping fans of the original by providing the original. Though apparently those fans can no longer be satisfied with the original for some stupid and petty reason, I don't know.
The issue is, some of us "stupid and petty" fans don't want to be associated with this crap type of humor. And as I stated in the other thread on the subject, I feel more strongly about not supporting this dreck than I do about supporting Funimation at any cost. I'll support the show in other ways that don't involve encouraging Funimation to take this route with other shows in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Wow, another Aaron from Virginia that is a massive collector? THE ODDS MAN, WHAT ARE THEY!

That's just one more reason as to why you should give me your collection when you're tired of anime. We both live in VA, we both love collecting, and we're both named Aaron. It's fate, man. Don't deny it.

Quote:
Of course, I have my own pet theory as to why anime is a preferred online only aside from the obvious cost problems people may face, but its also an attempt to avoid social problems with having physical evidence that you are a fan. Shelves of DVDs, people look at you funny. TB's of anime? No one is the wiser.

That's really interesting. I still think the biggest reason is because most people are broke or use any other dumb reason they can (Hetalia people), but I'm sure there's a small percentage of people who have this thinking as well.

As for the beginning of the podcast...
HETALIA:
I haven't seen the dub since I can't login to my Youtube account, but I've seen that thread, and I've never seen so much bullshit in all my life. Sub fans talking about not buying it because of a dub they'd probably never like anyways because it's not the original work, is pure crap. That's worse than dub fans bitching about "no dub, no buy" and then watching the fansubs. Face it, most you wouldn't have liked the dub anyways, but you'd be content because it had the subs. But now I guess having a liberal dub makes both suck, huh? I just cannot believe these die-hards are using the dub as an excuse to not buy the show they LOVE SOOOOOO MUCH.

poonk wrote:
The issue is, some of us "stupid and petty" fans don't want to be associated with this crap type of humor. And as I stated in the other thread on the subject, I feel more strongly about not supporting this dreck than I do about supporting Funimation at any cost. I'll support the show in other ways that don't involve encouraging Funimation to take this route with other shows in the future.

Poonk, I'm sorry, but that is a stupid and petty reason (not you, your reason). You've said yourself that you're a sub fan that rarely, if ever, watches dubs, and you're letting a dub control your buying habits. You're a sub fan, you've seen the sub version, you love sub version, but you're not buying a dual language disc because of the English dub. Does not compute.

And buying this =/= supporting liberal dubs. Tons of positive feedback on the liberal dub = supporting liberal dubs.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
So I'd say FUNi was trying for a broader audience with the dub, while still keeping fans of the original by providing the original. Though apparently those fans can no longer be satisfied with the original for some stupid and petty reason, I don't know.
Yet without FUNimation Hetalia would still be unlicensed. You don't seem to understand that. And that's fine. Personally, there's a ton of things I want to see licensed. And I don't care what goes on with the dub because I'm already a fan of the sub. Do you know why? Because I'm already a fan of the show. I want to support the official release which includes the original version.

Your complaining just seems like a slap in the face to me because of your ingratitude to Funimation for actually making a legal release available. Do you know how much I would love to see Time of Eve over here in the States? Or Kaiba? Or Dennou Coil? I want to own these shows really really bad, but I can't. So such selfishness really irritates me, and I'm sick of hearing about it. So you don't like the dub... why not watch the sub? It's such a frickin novel concept!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I was really curious about the Scott Pilgrim movie considering Edgar Wright directed it; Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were flat hilarious movies that a surprising amount of depth in the plot (Hot Fuzz especially considering I expected to be a quirky buddy-cop type movie throughout). Now my anticipation rises.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:

hmmm, yes, your point is very well-backed up with a detailed argument

Do you remember the part in Wolf's Rain where they had to fight a giant, evil talking walrus?

That was my favorite part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
lkmjr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
After Endless Eight, I imagine Haruhi fans can sit through just about anything.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I knew Aaron had to be KOH.

It really is sad that the collector mentality is dieing out. I know people can have money problems - my collection is as big as it is because I hardly spent any money throughout high school. Having no job and trying to feed my urge to collect is tough. But I love being able to show off my collection to my friends. It wouldn't be the same if I just showed them a bunch of files on my computer. I think that is a definite factor in why collectors are a dieing breed - people get their ego boosts from trolling noobs on the interwebz instead of having people in awe over their DVD collections Razz
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
And you cannot have a good show with four clip episodes.

So, why not pretend the episodes just don't exist and treat the show as a 22-episode series? Or does a show have to be at least 26 episodes long to be good? I guess no 13-episode series can be good, either.

...Wolf's Rain is 26 episodes, though. They created 4 more episodes to compensate for the clips episodes, which absolutely CAN be removed with no issue, unlike say, Eureka 7's or something. The clips episodes were never supposed to be made, but it was due to a huge drop in the production team due to the SARS epidemic. They didn't cop out, though, it's now a 30-episode series with four disposal recaps that you don't even have to BUY in the US, (they're on their own disc,) much less watch.

As for the whole thing about it being a boring mess with too much christian symbolism?

1) There's...very little christian symbolism in Wolf's Rain...okay not VERY little, but it's overwhelmed by Hindu and animist elements. It takes portions from several different religions: Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, and some aspects of Shinto animism, but not mindlessly or with an aim to "look cool." Every religious symbol incorporated in Wolf's Rain is taken from that religion's account of the apocalypse, kind of taking all these ideas about how humanity will die out, and meshing them together to look at people objectively, through the eyes of these very inhuman "wolves." (The wolves are tokens of Japanese mythology and function more as demi-gods.)

2) So yes, that makes them much harder to relate to than most human characters. The writers didn't cheat and try to anthropomorphize the wolves, so they can be alienating leads. That's what the human characters ARE there for, to balance out this broad, objective view we get of mankind going extinct. So it's not for everybody and it's SOOOO soft-spoken and subtle that you have to pay close attention, but it kind of blows all that away with its less-than-emotionally-tepid finale, which perfectly wraps up everything that's been foreshadowed throughout the show. Long story short: it's extremely brilliant, layered, unique, and while it can seem episodic or rambly now and again, those individual episodes have so much meat to them (the ones where Kiba is in the "false paradise" are ingenious,) I can't fault it for much. It's just not for everybody, I hate to say that because it sounds uppity, but it's not. It's strange and ephemeral, and sometimes hard to understand. That doesn't change the fact that the creators put out a really amazing story together. I can't really dis it for being so insightful and exceptional. ^^;

I've gone and written an essay again. =w= I need some way to off-awkward this...um...

Mike Toole wrote:

Do you remember the part in Wolf's Rain where they had to fight a giant, evil talking walrus?

That was my favorite part.

That part was AWESOME! Very Happy

EDIT: Okay, side note...how many of you have really really seen the Hetalia dub? I can understand the complaints about the tonal shift, it's pretty glaring, but "radical changes?"

There are a small handful of "added" jokes in each episode to compensate for flap count, but it is not a radical rewrite. School Rumble was more radically rewritten than this. It's pretty much the same show. Go ahead and compare the sub script and the dub script for changes, not counting the fact that accents exist or gratuitous foreign language bits...there aren't that many. (Not that the sub didn't have gratuitous foreign language..."Maple!")

The most radically different scene I've seen so far was the one where Italy and Germany finally decide to become friends, and it's pretty indicative of the changes on the whole. In the sub, it was just very straightforward: Italy wants to be Germany's friend, Germany says he doesn't have any friends, but he'll give it a try. In the dub, um...Italy says being friends means Germany can order him around and he can generally be a disappointment in return. Germany says he's never had any friends so he'll probably treat Italy badly, but hey, someone has to take it. That was the MOST radical change I've seen in the script so far. So yes, there are some snarky shifts like that, but the rest of the show? It was not all nice and touchy-feely in Japanese either, it was considered foul and offensive with a mask of cute before the dub arrived, and I was fully expecting something more raunchy than this for the English version. (I was also expecting something funnier, but that's actually because I expected more changes. It is very much the same script with an occasional "zieg heil!" or subversion tossed in.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13