• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Invader Zim Creator Comments on Panty & Stocking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Can I sue Panty & Stocking for being not funny?
Damn, you've copyrighted not being funny? I'm lucky I'm in debt over my ears, or else all my assets would belong to you.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I actually think they look extremely similar. I had to keep looking at them to see which was which.

It's not only the character's design, but the art style is similar too. The characters in Invader Zim are usually small and drawn with thick, short, jerky lines.

But I do think they are very much similar. I have no doubt that nick/Viacom will sue once they learn of it.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Damn, you've copyrighted not being funny? I'm lucky I'm in debt over my ears, or else all my assets would belong to you.

So......you're saying you're not funny either?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Quote:
...and Gainax produces some of the only Japanese animation I can stand without wishing I was the drinking type...

Ugh.
Glad I never gave Invader Zim any money. (or ever watched an episode for that matter)

Don't forget there are varying degrees in the US of dislike/superiority complex between fans of US comics/animation & fans of manga/anime. I remember back in the G4 days some posters claimed to work in the domestic animation field & more than once complained anime was killing their jobs & was a steaming pile of poo so what the hell could we see in it? That Vazquez even acknowledges some is ok is pretty good. Of course one year he was dur to be at Comic-con so my daughter was excited, but the gal at the comic shop warned not to be because the guy was allegedly somewhere between jerk & prima donna & I think he actually cancelled out so we didn't see him so I have no idea if the gal was right or just bore a grudge.
Quote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
There's probably a huge percentage of the population over the age of 23 that has never seen Invader Zim.

Are you discounting their parents?
There's probably holes, but the same sort of parents that allowed their kids to see Nightmare Before Christmas probably allowed this (Trust me, I ran into a lot of parents who found Burton's film to be the last thing they'd allow their child to see back when it was in theaters & first released on dvd). They're probably the sort to have sat down & watched the show with their child.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I've talked to Vasquez before on multiple occasions via instant messaging; he was always very nice. Most people who've talked to him in a polite manner themselves will tell you that. His jerkishness is sort of a comic personality that he's built up.

He's not completely against non-GAINAX anime. Just most of it. In fact, recently he expressed quite a bit of enthusiasm toward Ponyo on Twitter:

JhonenV wrote:
Damn you Netflix Instant Watch and dubbed Ponyo! Anime I don't want to smash my TV against the wall for and you serve it up spoiled! Rest assured I turned it off the second I heard English and then I put my foot through my flatscreen, then broke my foot off inside the set.

To paraphrase him from an IM conversation, he enjoys Tekkon Kinkreet and other things that stray from the usual anime look and feel. He considers most anime to be too full of annoying clichés and use of convolution for its own sake. Interestingly, he really enjoyed Avatar (both the James Cameron movie and the Nickelodeon series).

Anyway, don't feel bad about giving Invader Zim your money even if you feel one's taste in anime is enough to decide not to buy anything from him. Nickelodeon gets all money that comes from Zim, whether it's from reruns of the show, the DVDs they're selling on Amazon, or the merchandise at Hot Topic.

They don't get any money from the Media Blasters DVDs, though, which are much better than the special featureless ones they're selling. Anyone who wants to own the series should buy the Media Blasters version.

Last edited by DrizzlingEnthalpy on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Zac wrote:

So......you're saying you're not funny either?

I guess humor is no longer subjective. Quick, someone explain the new guidelines-O-hilarity before someone tells me a joke because right now I wouldn't know what to do! Laughing
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
How do you rewire the legal system to not favor the guy with the money as much?
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
"...what with the fart and shit jokes"? Funny of him to say that, considering some of Jhonen's later works were nothing but fart and shit jokes.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
[quote="CCSYueh"]
Don't forget there are varying degrees in the US of dislike/superiority complex between fans of US comics/animation & fans of manga/anime. [/quote

So, that's why I'm always at odds with myself.

Anyway, I imagine that probably just a public persona, like Stan Lee, unless you really think he walks around all day calling everyone "True Believers".

Also, I wouldn't look to deep into his comment about not liking most anime, perhaps he just doesn't like it - he wouldn't be the first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4