• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Longview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
androvsky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Haven't listened to the episode yet, but...

I think Full Metal Panic would make for a good live-action movie. The concept seems to meant for it, a mostly real-world concept complete with mechs that can turn invisible in situations where the special effects budget would go crazy.

I'd prefer Ghost in the Shell, but as I recall, someone already tried it, so the rights are probably still tied up. Last Exile would also be great (especially in 3D!), but the special effects budget would be nuts.

And even though I think Strike Witches could work as a movie (if you added five years to everyone's age), I don't think it'd work as a big-budget one. Anything that starts with "An all-girl team..." is going to be direct-to-video fodder if it's not based on a popular '70's TV show. Same with Bubblegum Crisis. Sad

How about Captain Harlock?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
SaharaFrost wrote:
How about this for a Fruits Basket pitch: "Can love overcome an age-old curse? In a world where star-crossed lovers are divided by fate, what's a girl to do when even Destiny and the Signs refuse to align?"

Much more effective when read in the Trey Parker "Dur-Durpty-durp!" voice. Very Happy
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
SaharaFrost wrote:
How about this for a Fruits Basket pitch: "Can love overcome an age-old curse? In a world where star-crossed lovers are divided by fate, what's a girl to do when even Destiny and the Signs refuse to align?"

Much more effective when read in the Trey Parker "Dur-Durpty-durp!" voice. Very Happy

Love it! Anime hyper
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I'm a huge fan of Yuji Iawahara's works, and I instant I sat down and read the first vol. of his King of Thorn horror survival series, I thought, "This could be a Hollywood movie!"
Another of his series that I loved was the more recent school-life/supernatural Cat Paradise, which I'd probably like to see made into a movie more than KoT simply because it features pet cats and the bonds they share with their owners prominently.

I totally agree with King of Thorn. I saw the anime movie this summer and it definitely has a lot of potential, I can clearly see it work as a live-action movie. The formula isn't anything new, it would look a lot like the first Resident Evil movie, but since there's an existing crowd for survivor/horror movies, I'm sure it would make for a pretty good entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of live action as a general rule. However I would have to watch Skip Beat done that way. I have to disagree with Gia though. I think a secondary theme could be a good look at the Japanese entertainment "machine". It would be more interesting than Jersey Shore and not nearly as obnoxious.

Once again Zac makes "interesting" one of the more flexible words in the language.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, Black Lagoon would make an excellent live action movie. Baccano could work as well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
"The big leaky elephant in the room. That's a pretty gross mental image come to think of it."

So you've seen this old Blue Peter clip then...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
"The big leaky elephant in the room. That's a pretty gross mental image come to think of it."

So you've seen this old Blue Peter clip then...

Hilarious!! ROFL.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
That was a great episode Smile !

I've heard nothing but good things from Eden of the East, can't wait to actually see it! It's definitely a bluray purchase for me Very Happy

That was also an excellent Interview, as long as the project is done with love and dedication, I am confident they'll put out an awesome piece of cinema. Plus mad props for Trauma Team, I seriously wouldn't have thought someone would go that route... I myself hate medical dramas but that pilot/premise alone makes a whole lot interesting than what we see now on TV. Fruits Baskets was another surprise, I like people taking risks and I could certainly see it at a big screen. New audiences will surely love it. It's got that great appeal to any reader/viewer.

Live Action Adaptations I'd like to see? Well for starters the adaptation must blend in with Real Life and not go off the beaten track and create colorful messes like Speed Racer or Dragon Ball Evolution. Making the pages come to life in an organic, realistic setting is crucial. It can be a fantasy property and still work if it is grounded in the dynamics of real life (even if they have portals or futuristic settings). Properties I'd love to see in the big screen include..

1. Black Lagoon - The setting is practically made as a Western piece, the music, the visuals and action choreography is more typical with western action/drama pieces. The characters are realistically made and all have plausible backgrounds.

2. Chrono Crusade - This one is a little tricky but the payoff can be something unique. A fantasy setting mixed in with wonderful Religious overtones set in 20's - 30's America.

3. Monster - One of the most unique series I've seen in a long time. The drama that unfolds is unreal for an animated series. The visual backdrop and detail see in this show is of purse excellence. The subject matter is a blend of many other plots that have proven extremely successful. From the whole mystery aspect, medical drama to WWII plot elements. A perfect atmosphere for Western audiences and a killer cast. This one is certainly perfect. I am aware there was news that New Line Cinema had the rights (with the screenwriter from A history of violence) but IIRC it is in development hell.

4. Darker than Black - Like Black Lagoon, this series setting is well within the real world. Mixed in with fantasy elements, it could very well be the next big action flick.

5. Le Chevalier D'eon - Period pieces may not always be in the spotlight but they have never fallen off the radar completely. History meets fantasy in an interesting realistic way. I would certainly like to see how an title such as this translates to to the big screen.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I started to watch Star Driver, because of Yoij Enokido, who wrote Utena and I keep drawing parallels with Revolutionary Girl Utena.

In Utena ………………………….. In Star Driver
the Student Council………………..the "Order of the Glittering Star Cross"
There is a strange arena where people can have duels.
a castle hovering in the sky…………….the time stops
In both there is a song before any battle
a Rose Signet ring………………….. the Phoenician Alphabet
the Rose Bride………………………. the blond maiden Wako appears/is kidnapped when a duel is held
In both a magical girl transformation scene, thought in Star Driver it would be more precise to say there is a magical boy transformation scene, etc.

Star Driver is definitely the most interesting show at this moment. It’s fabulous when the main character screams Ginga Bishounen! I also like this idea of people kissing each other through glass – a funny quirk - a metaphor for safe sex? The cheesiness and fabulousness is outstanding, but I have an impression that this show can be both serious and cheesy at the same time and get away with it.

BTW, I want OST, I really like this song that is sung before the battles by Sakana, it’s amazing.

Last edited by Aylinn on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:

V: Oh, that was you! I appreciate the sentiment. Thanks Smile

By day, I'm a mild-mannered graduate student at a major area university. By night, masked avenger of Eva fandom. "V" is whoever is wearing the mask.

Well I'm sorry about the guy breaking into your servers; its disturbing that someone out there thinks they're basically God and can do things this illegal online.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
You are all wrong. Master Keaton would make the greatest live action TV series ever, but only if somebody went back in time and made it in the 80s. Then it could have been picked up by Nick at Night in the late 90s and they could run it in between MacGuyver and the A-team, it would be awesome.

For serious though, after watching L/R I thought it would make a really neat 4-6 episode miniseries on the BBC. I like British spies.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, I saw Watchment with my mom...and we both liked it (even though I hated the comic...and I think The Dark Knight can burn for al I care, odd eh?)
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well that's too bad about the simulcasts. I never really cared but I guess Zac is right, there's blame on both sides here.

Well if Star Driver really is anything like Code Geass I think I'd enjoy it quite a bit! Maybe it could be worth a watch.

So the CB movie is still in the works huh?

It's good to know that at least some elements from the actual anime will make it into the movie, though it's unfortunate that he couldn't get more specific. Still it's great that all the main characters will at least be in it.

Still, from the way Joshua talked about this film the chances of it getting made might not be great, and even if it is it will be a long ways away before we see it.

Oh, and I agree with anyone who said Monster and FMP! could make could Live Action movies, especially Monster. Though they'd have to split it up into multiple parts, because there's no way they could cram it all into one film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Kakurenbo

How do you make a full-length Hollywood movie out of that?

Actually it could work. If there's anything "Kakurenbo" could have benefited from it's more depth and content. It was an interesting short title, but there was definitely more happening there than was presented in the film, and the audience was just kind of left to fill in the banks when it came to all of that. I could definitely see a good 90 or 105 minute film running with that premise and building on it.

Plus, it would be more acceptable I imagine than others. It's no secret that anime fans tend to be less than receptive about Hollywood adaptations of anime titles. Something like "Kakurenbo" is not only obscure, but the limited material and room for interpretation gives the studio some breathing room when developing the content since they would obviously have to do so in order to make a feature film. They wouldn't be under as much pressure from the purists due to the necessity of interpretation and additional material due to the source. Really, something like "Kakurenbo" would be arguably the ideal choice.

Agreed. 100%. Sign me up for a live action Kakurenbo. That'd be an opening nighter for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7