• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maoyū (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
getchman wrote:
well the first episode certainly caught my attention, so will definitely be following this. I'm honestly surprised ARMS held back on the fan service. I appreciate that a lot and i hope they don't over do it for the rest of the show.

There Will Be Cleavage, although I doubt any actual toplessness will be shown, so no one can get seriously offended over a nipple.

i have absolutely no problem with cleavage
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
getchman wrote:
well the first episode certainly caught my attention, so will definitely be following this. I'm honestly surprised ARMS held back on the fan service. I appreciate that a lot and i hope they don't over do it for the rest of the show.

There Will Be Cleavage, although I doubt any actual toplessness will be shown, so no one can get seriously offended over a nipple.

People get seriously offended over a nipple? Twisted Evil
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

wouldn't surprise me
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Gatherum wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

wouldn't surprise me

How many times is this page going to say "nipple"? You made it seem like her showing cleavage resulted in a nipple being shown. Was there nipple to be seen and I missed it?
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:

How many times is this page going to say "nipple"? You made it seem like her showing cleavage resulted in a nipple being shown. Was there nipple to be seen and I missed it?
You should read the posts you quoted once more.

If you are wondering, why nipples are talked about at all, it is likely because they are very common in the works of the anime studio (ARMS).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
interesting; I do get the Spice and Wolf comparisons (almost makes me wonder if Brina Palencia would be cast in a dub if Funimation licensed it), though that was more focused on TRADING rather than large-scale economics.

As for the arguments about whether a war could benefit economics for a country...that is somewhat true, though admittedly the show takes some liberties. Like someone mentioned earlier, World War II actually knocked the US out of the Great Depression as the draft enlisted every able-bodied man available and due to the amount of resources needed lots of companies such as Ford contributed to the war effort thus giving TONS of people jobs. And let's not even get STARTED on the technological advancements that society gained due to engineers having to design new stuff to get an edge in battle.

As for characters, I am liking the chemistry between the Queen and the Hero. She is coming off a cute, lovable sweetheart, but not in a vapid way. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it would have been very easy for the Queen to just be a pair of breasts attached to a woman. Even though there is fanservice, she still feels like she has a real personality (albeit a bit moe-fied). Not on par with Holo, mind you, but still likable. The Hero feels bland at this point, but I could see him getting fleshed out in the future, though I have a feeling the Queen will be the heart of this story.
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
Some things for those who were not convinced enough with episode 1:

1. Some people assume that Maou is trying to convince hero that "War is good for economy". What she really meant is that "War is good for some people, and the world is not ready enough to end the war here, as it will only bring a new war later".

That's why their first concern will be solving food problems, the most basic problem of the current world in Maoyuu. It will be more clear when the episode count progressed

2. If they don't screw up the material badly (which is unlikely, due to promising staffs), it won't go downhill. It will keep going better and better, especially after more characters introduced, world setting explored, romance keep blossoming, conflicts arising, epic moments shown and actions joined the party.

Ah, don't forget, Macroeconomics, ho! Also, Potatoes!

3. If you're interested, I'm sure the whole setting of Maoyu is inspired from spoiler[ Crusades war between Europe and Arabs]. You'll get it later.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
Well the whole "war is economically beneficial" is not that much of a stretch. It's no secret the US got a shitload of money by selling weapons during WWI and the initial stages or WWII. After WWII was over, American economy flourished because European countries were down to smithereens, whereas the US had barely seen any combat in their own territory.

zeroyuki92 wrote:

3. If you're interested, I'm sure the whole setting of Maoyu is inspired from spoiler[ Crusades war between Europe and Arabs]. You'll get it later.

This would actually make a lot of sense considering how spoiler[Crusades were essentially an excuse to open trade routes, get more products and spice up trade in christian Europe]

Not exactly sure of why that needed to be spoiler-ed since I haven't read the source material, mind you
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

zeroyuki92 wrote:

This would actually make a lot of sense considering how spoiler[Crusades were essentially an excuse to open trade routes, get more products and spice up trade in christian Europe]

Not exactly sure of why that needed to be spoiler-ed since I haven't read the source material, mind you

I spoiler-ed that since only few people could see that relationship from the first episode only (probably from "an island that was taken by the demon army", but it would be totally vague... hey, they haven't even introduced the nations, the social system and the church properly), although it would make sense and fitting to the current setting that has been introduced.

The relationship between Maoyuu and "that" is considered due to later events and things that should be introduced in later episodes. It's actually kinda fun to compare events in Maoyuu and events that happened in the real world.

Also, this is a funny spoiler (and speculation) : spoiler[Maou is using something (a kind of "information library") to access modern technologies and systems to be implemented later at Maoyuu's world, and it's speculated to be internet.

So, basically it could be viewed as a story about a girl at a fantasy- middle ages who discovered internet and use the information on it to help the Middle Ages to prosper. It also spawned a lot of jokes since she already known about some modern otaku tropes such as modern maids and dakimakura. ]
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
zeroyuki92 wrote:

1. Some people assume that Maou is trying to convince hero that "War is good for economy". What she really meant is that "War is good for some people, and the world is not ready enough to end the war here, as it will only bring a new war later".

That's why their first concern will be solving food problems, the most basic problem of the current world in Maoyuu. It will be more clear when the episode count progressed

This is something you see ALL the time in real-world history. For instance, the American Revolution, after it was won, was followed by a HORRENDOUS economic era due to all the logistics involved in essentially shifting the economy away from war. Another country affected by us was France who loaned us so much money to fund the war effort that it the state was nearing bankruptcy (the Seven Years War also didn't help)
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
zeroyuki92 wrote:

This is something you see ALL the time in real-world history. For instance, the American Revolution, after it was won, was followed by a HORRENDOUS economic era due to all the logistics involved in essentially shifting the economy away from war. Another country affected by us was France who loaned us so much money to fund the war effort that it the state was nearing bankruptcy (the Seven Years War also didn't help)

Also, don't forget after the American Revolution, Congress decided to reduce the size of the army since it was too expensive and they wanted to focus on rebuilding the country. This didn't please some Officers who almost attempted a coup until George Washington convinced them to stand down.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[Enjoying life in the countryside.
Hero and Maou relationship seems to be progressing nicely too.
She was pretty awkward and girl around him when they were alone.
It was nice they took in those two girls.]

Pretty relaxing episode.
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I am not a fan of the spoiler[pretend tough love] type character like the Head Maid, but her dialog in other respects are so amusing that I like her overall. Hear that, Key? spoiler["No one in this world dislikes maids."]

I am not quite understanding how spoiler[the Demon King plans to teach people about crop rotation effectively when her plan takes at least a year to yield noticeable results, but she told the Head Maid that she only has one year to prove herself to the Hero. Or maybe that one year referred to the limit set for their stay in that particular village?]

Next episode preview: spoiler[The female knight is revealed to have gotten to a nunnery because of her sadness over the Hero's departure.]
trashME

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I saw the first episode, and I enjoyed it (at least the first ep ) but it seems that it's one I'll be watching alone... Boyfriend did not enjoy it, and was complaining for a while after.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18