• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Teen Arrested After Doodling 'Weapons' in Notebook

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a misunderstanding.

A kid draws weapons at school, has bomb making components at his house, and gets questioned about it makes some folk mad that his rights were violated. A kid draws weapons at school, has bomb making components at his home, nobody bats an eye and something terrible happens, people complain and say everyone should have reported his questionable behavior and that cops and teachers are idiots for not recognizing the threat. Funny how things work.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

A kid draws weapons at school, has bomb making components at his house, and gets questioned about it makes some folk mad that his rights were violated. A kid draws weapons at school, has bomb making components at his home, nobody bats an eye and something terrible happens, people complain and say everyone should have reported his questionable behavior and that cops and teachers are idiots for not recognizing the threat. Funny how things work.

I sense strong sarcasm from this post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aethix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

He wasn't just questioned about it, he was arrested and thrown in juvenile detention. There's kind of a difference.
flawed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
And on Monday everyone with a watch or cellphone will be arrested for having a device that could be used as a timer or an explosive device, since you know school campuses have more chemicals that can be used to make a bomb then any household needs.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
well since every single household having a gas BBQ is equipped with the chemicals to create an explosive. its pretty hard not to meet the criteria they mentioned and if you want to exclude that just your every day household cleaners are all you need to again meet the criteria.

drawing weapons at school? hmmm guess every school teaching video game creation will be arresting 99.9% of they're student population.

wounder what charges he'd be facing for drawing a burning bush in religion class?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
They better go back and check to see if every bedroom in the house had a smoke detector, then they could add stockpiling materials for a dirty-bomb.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Good job officers, I think you've narrowed down your search for the next madman to every kid who's ever held a pencil and had a notebook,

Time for schools to go paperless... so administrators can review the daily doodles without having to be reliant on sharp-eyed teachers, of course.
Salsaman1991 wrote:
Hey, you know who else enjoyed dissecting radios and other appliances? Half the people that work for NASA. And they have rocket fuel at their disposal! They need to be stopped, people!

That's what the criminally small annual budget is there for.
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am not coming the kid's defense here,

Why not?
Quote:
Galloway Township Police Chief Pat Moran recognized that "There was no indication he was making a bomb, or using a bomb or detonating a bomb."

(quote corrected to reflect the source articles)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
joshjoshlol wrote:
I'll pull an anecdote from my own personal archives that mirrors this story.

Really moving what you said and it pretty much hits the nail on the head. The one thing to note (and I'm trying not to offend anyone but one has to look at the picture on their own) is that many of the teachers that do this are "women". There are more women teachers. I'm not giving male teachers a pass either because some of them end up being bullies. Which also creates adds to the bigger circle of problems. Many of the "male" groups complain about the ills of "feminism" and how it really doesn't support the "equality" toward both sexes. Not to mention how it affects young boys in the school systems. When a young boy draws pictures that might not necessarily be harmful, his [female] teacher is going to find offense. Then he has to hear it from his mother. Yet his mother can either be on the same page brow-beating her son or she ends up pissed off [at the school/teacher] that her son has been singled out for some "harmless" behavior. I reiterate again I'm not trying to attack anyone but people have to see for themselves that things aren't so clean cut when they are parents. And even then you can be anyone of these individuals that worship at the altar based on your views.

What happened to just taking it and talking to their parents. We talk about anti-bullying but we have teachers on a power trip. I seen these stories time and time and we all read about them. The whole system is broken. Yes, these teachers probably push to get on the top tier and often times find themselves looking toward politics. Who votes for them but those that view them as the "child protectors". Thing I learned that they appeal to either political party. So being a "liberal', "conservative", "democrat", "republican", "independent", etc... doesn't really matter because eventually, that individual will pass legislation that will appeal to one hand and not the other. Look at the past administration, when Hilary Clinton was on a board wanting to fight against violent video games. They've been trying to fight that fight for a long time and still are because every time a person decides to shoot up a school video games come up in the topic. But that fight is peas compared to when they bring up gun regulation, then those backward troglodytes you mentioned are running out buying as many guns as they can. And who gets paid? Gun manufacturers and the politicians creating the uproar. In NY Giuliani supported a ban on a video game that had to do with killing cops and civilians. That game was dropped before it could be finished and sold. Of course there was no mention of gun control for illegal holders. Now we have GTA. The playgrounds have been child proofed and now they're complaining about the mats heating up. How about not letting your kid run around with no shoes or not make the surface like broken glass to have to be fixed creating all this useless laws. I know I'm getting off topic but I'm pointing out some of the silliness that happens when you're dealing with "bubble wrap brigade" groups. It's really crazy now and we're going to be hearing these types of stories. You have to look at the bigger picture and you'll see how things connect.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
American schools are scary! I mean, you can get arrested without doing anything wrong, you're watched all the time, and if a random classmate has some weed, a SWAT team might raid the school and point a gun at you.
Evaunit02berserk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
This level of paranoia makes me wonder if Psycho-Pass is such a stretch from what the future could be like.

sup
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/will-these-next-gen-surveillance-cameras-in-calif-detect-crime-before-its-even-committed/
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Why not?

Good question, my mind was scattered when I wrote that. Now that I think about it, I am siding with the kid on this one. I feel bad for this kid, he didn't do anything wrong yet was treated as if he was a criminal.

Sadly this is too true, I know to well that as long as your in mandatory education, your basically without any rights. I certainly felt as if school was a prison.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
We should arrest all comic artists. They draw guns and weapons all the time.

I still have violent/gory artwork I used to drew when I was in high school.
And I never got in any trouble drawing them of any kind.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Isn't that the purpose of LEGOs? Deconstructing and Rebuilding things?
Yeah, but they get boring after age 12. I started doing that with my bicycle after finding me old man's tool box, then later I'd do that to the family car, much to the very great annoyance of me old man. then after a tour in the Navy where I was a member of the RN Rally Club, then Uni, I'm now a Senior Broadcast Electronics Engineer/Technical Director with a major UK broadcasting facility. Good Job I'm not 16 and living in NJ, else I'd have a criminal record for being interested in how things work. Better send the National Guard to surround MIT, as God know's how many future mass murderers and terrorists are being trained there. Paranoid much NJ? Bloody'ell. Rolling Eyes
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
FAIL. waw.....no comment. They show so much destructive and violent things on TV and they expect kids to not draw or talk about it? Why not arrest every toy maker/cartoon producer/TV station president for broadcasting it? Why are they so stupid? His notebook is private property---they are legally not allowed to touch him or his stuff unless he poses a threat to his surroundings. If I was his parent, I would take this to court and sue the shit out of the government in that place. WAW......the population degradation is happening in front of our eyes. Guess what, I had drawings of skulls, blades and people wielding blades/guns in my notebooks all the time, boys watch that stuff on TV nonstop. Go arrest the whole damn world now...its funny because rapists avoid being arrested, yet kids who drew stuff from power rangers get a criminal record.

now that's=logic
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
American schools are scary! I mean, you can get arrested without doing anything wrong, you're watched all the time, and if a random classmate has some weed, a SWAT team might raid the school and point a gun at you.

No, not all American schools are like that. Our schools vary throughout the country; some are better (or worse) than others. Of course, I've been out of high school since the 80's. But I agree, this anti-violence paranoia is getting out of hand.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Rather take chances with shooters than Big Brother. BYOG - bring your own guns. Doesn't matter who draws what or doesn't draw anything at all - anybody can be shooters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6