• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Reveals PlayStation 4 Home Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well, no backwards compatibility means I get to keep my PS3 rather than sell it like I did my Wii once I got the Wii-U.

Social networking crap can die for all I care. I don't care or use facebook, twitter, or any of that crap. The only reason I don't mind it in New Super Mario bros is because you can draw little pictures instead and the little notes can be amusing at times. Nor do I care about Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming services I don't use and have no need for that just takes up space.

Anyway, it's kind of funny to see people say "no reason to buy this" just because these five games don't interest them. It's not like these are going to be the only games for this system forever. I have zero interest in FPS or sandbox games likes Killzone/Infamous/Watch Dogs, but just the fact Nippon Ichi and other RPG devs are on board pretty much confirmed this is going to be a must-get system for RPG fans. I doubt the new Xbox will have many unless it somehow revives the console in Japan, and while the Wii-U will probably get some like the Wii did, the PS3 completely dominated in terms of RPGs this generation, so I have no doubt the PS4 won't be the go-to system for them next gen either. I'm interested in what games like Tales and other cel-shaded games will look like.

You bias ineffective elements of this console with subjective personal preferences.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of the whole "streaming games" thing? Really I always try to buy my games on physical media, case and all. Also the feature to let someone else beat part of a game for you is just insulting. Getting to upload gameplay videos will be helpful for speedrunners I guess, but I don't think it is as useful as some people say it will be. Finally the controller seems a bit messy; they smashed a move controler with the ps3 controller and saw what they got. The analogue sticks also seems a little bit odd, but that is more of a nitpick.

I don't really don't see the whole "our gaming system has to be able to do everything" concept. Games should always be in the forefront with features being near necessary and just a bonus; in this regard I feel that Nintendo has the right idea.

Also the graphics weren't that great, or at least as big of a jump as a new console generation should be. Were they good? Of course they were. Were they "spend $400 more" good? I'm not so sure. For much of the gameplay it was in an odd in-between where it looks better than a PS3, but if you showed me the footage prior to the announcement I wouldn't have went "that HAS to be next gen." It doesn't seem like as much of an upgrade as from the 2 to 3. Anybody agree?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Also the graphics weren't that great, or at least as big of a jump as a new console generation should be. Were they good? Of course they were. Were they "spend $400 more" good? I'm not so sure. For much of the gameplay it was in an odd in-between where it looks better than a PS3, but if you showed me the footage prior to the announcement I wouldn't have went "that HAS to be next gen." It doesn't seem like as much of an upgrade as from the 2 to 3. Anybody agree?

Graphics can only be pushed so much. Of course there won't be as big of jump as it was from PS2 to 3.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well... my first reaction is I don't like it.

My second reaction is... that's it?

And now I'll just sit back and wait for the xbox announcement, because so far with the limitations and the focus on sharing, etc, I'm really interested in what Microsoft has planned and has been rumored.

Sure Microsoft has it's ups and downs, but I can't help but feel they'll be more innovative with the social aspect of gaming, and I LOVED how I could just hook up my xbox to my computer and have them communicate and work together.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Sony will fail if they go through with their idea of not allowing people to play used games.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Some points to consider:

There will be backwards compatibility, but not for discs. Your PS3 discs will not play in the PS4, however you will still be able to play PS3 games on the PS4 using a network connection.

The reason there is no direct backwards compatibility is that Sony have changed the internal hardware to be more like a PC. This makes it easier for developers to make games. The PS4 will not suffer a PS3-type situation where the console launched with few decent games because the developers had to experience a rough learning curve. No, with the PS4 we should see good games right from launch.

There is still an optical drive, so fears that the console will be download-only are unfounded. That said, anyone who wants to download games will be able to do so.

In fact, the console will automatically download games it thinks you might like, so that if you want them you don't have to wait. While helpful, I do hope that people with data caps will be able to turn this feature off.
Thhyon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Hopefully Sony will fail if they go through with their idea of not allowing people to play used games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Graphics can only be pushed so much. Of course there won't be as big of jump as it was from PS2 to 3.

Besides decent hardware/graphics don't make games better it's the software for the said device. It is overall gameplay, stories, character development, music. A game looking nice is always an added bonus but not a necessity, why do you think that hand-helds dominate the Japanese market??

dtm42 wrote:
Some points to consider:

There will be backwards compatibility, but not for discs. Your PS3 discs will not play in the PS4, however you will still be able to play PS3 games on the PS4 using a network connection.

The reason there is no direct backwards compatibility is that Sony have changed the internal hardware to be more like a PC. This makes it easier for developers to make games. The PS4 will not suffer a PS3-type situation where the console launched with few decent games because the developers had to experience a rough learning curve. No, with the PS4 we should see good games right from launch.

There is still an optical drive, so fears that the console will be download-only are unfounded. That said, anyone who wants to download games will be able to do so.

In fact, the console will automatically download games it thinks you might like, so that if you want them you don't have to wait. While helpful, I do hope that people with data caps will be able to turn this feature off.

The bad point about this is that you need to do it via streaming over playsation cloud so that will take up more bandwidth. Including those who have caps this will be a no sale for a lot gamer's. Also keep in mind there is no telling if you have to actually re-buy your games or not again needs to be confirmed. Maybe I'm getting to old for the gaming market now. This will most likely be my last gaming generation and just stick with pc gaming and hand-helds.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryker61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
[quote="Dessa"]So, with no backwards compatibility, and the distinct lack of physical media being mentioned an indication that the rumors of this being download-only, this is an obvious no-buy for me.[/quote]

I'd have to agree. I've lost all respect for Sony if their going the download route. If they want to sell this to their customers, they need to definitively SHOW that this uses physical media and not be download only.

If they do confirm it uses physical media, then they need to also include backwards compatibility with PS3 games not download only. If I were to buy the PS4, I'm not going to waste money re-buying games I've already got. That's stupid.

"Perry also noted that PS3 games will not be natively compatible on the PS4." That's a load of bull crap. Microsoft solved that problem. The 360 can run Xbox games with almost no problems.

From what I've seen of the PS4, at the moment, I have no plans to buy it at any point. As far as I'm concerned, it's an over sized, glorified paper weight.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Looks like crap. I'll hold out for the new Xbox. That is, unless they decide to jump on the bandwagon and decide to run the console on gimmicks.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Looks like crap. I'll hold out for the new Xbox. That is, unless they decide to jump on the bandwagon and decide to run the console on gimmicks.

It'll all be on windows 8, and you can touch you're tv... oh wait...

Either way I'm really looking forward to the xbox announcement now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Ryker61, I've already addressed your points.

Ryker61 wrote:
I'd have to agree. I've lost all respect for Sony if their going the download route. If they want to sell this to their customers, they need to definitively SHOW that this uses physical media and not be download only.

It's got a Blu-Ray drive and you will be able to buy physical media for it.

Ryker61 wrote:
If they do confirm it uses physical media, then they need to also include backwards compatibility with PS3 games not download only. If I were to buy the PS4, I'm not going to waste money re-buying games I've already got. That's stupid.

You won't have to buy the games again, though as Cecilthedarkknight_234 points out you will have to use more bandwidth streaming the games from the Playstation Cloud.

Ryker61 wrote:
"Perry also noted that PS3 games will not be natively compatible on the PS4." That's a load of bull crap. Microsoft solved that problem. The 360 can run Xbox games with almost no problems.

Oh come on, I directly said why Sony are having to do this. The PS3 had weird Sony-made parts that were a nightmare for developers. The PS4 is much simpler and easier to make games for since it uses more standard PC parts. However, changing the components means the PS4 can't read the PS3 games. It's a tradeoff on Sony's part between better games and non-direct backwards compatibility. The reason why the XBox 360 could play XBox games is because Microsoft used compatible components in both consoles. Sony made a mistake with the PS3's design, and they are fixing it for the PS4. Unfortunately, apart from helping developers out, the benefits of this change in the PS4 will not be directly seen by the consumer. But, you can still play your old PS3 games on the PS4, so it isn't a disaster; you just need to use the Playstation Cloud and hopefully have a high (or unlimited) data cap.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

>The console has been announced for literally less than a day
>Call it crap

THIS is what the Continental Army died fighting for. Our society is doomed.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
When the PS2 came out and it still played original Playstation games I was overjoyed. When the (original) PS3 came out and it played PS and PS2 games I was also happy. Two consoles in a row that play the previous console's games. That's pretty amazing to me. I'm glad that it happened that way.

I understand that people want every console from now to eternity to be backwards compatible, but it's just not going to happen. Every console can't emulate every previous console's architecture. In other words, the parts used for the system and the software it runs both prevent any differing software from being run on it.

I wonder when we're going to reach that point in the future where it's possible for such a feat to be accomplished? Probably near the point where discs disappear and all data is streamed. That'll be many years down the road.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Someone on Anime News Network.com waiting for an Xbox announcement.

Someone with an interest in niche Japanese television animation is a big fan of Halo, Forza, and Gears of War? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7