• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tiger & Bunny Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you're getting the meta confused with the backstory. The creators of the show had an extremely difficult time getting sponsors for the character of Fire Emblem, because companies didn't (initially) want their logo on a flamboyantly gay character. Perhaps they later added this into his backstory, but in the CD Dramas I've listened to (most of them) and the guidebook I read, none of that is mentioned. He owns his own company, yes, but there's no mention that he had to start it ground-up to get a sponsor.

I was initially turned off by Nathan/Fire Emblem as well, but over time he really grew on me. For all his feminine characteristics, they do make him an unequivocal badass. If you watch the scoreboards in the first episode, he's in the #3 spot right behind Sky High and Blue Rose, and the supplementary material claims that he has always been in the top three. What's even more interesting about it is that, in order to be successful in the Tiger & Bunny universe, you also have to merchandise. Which means there may be kids in Stern Bild with Fire Emblem posters on their walls and Fire Emblem action figures.

Which is the thing that finally won me over on his character: nobody cares that he's gay. Sure, Barnaby is a bit of a jerk to him in the first half...when he's a jerk to everybody, and Blue Rose is initially weirded out by his inclusion in the girls' club, but both of them are over it by the second half - and for the most part, he's just treated like one of the team. I'm all for having less of the effeminate gay man stereotype in anime, but there are effeminate gay men in real life, and I don't mind having them depicted in as positive light as Fire Emblem is in this anime.

Huh, that's pretty interesting. I've definitely heard about that particular Fire Emblem back-story a few times, but I'm not sure whether it just stems from real life confusion or has actually been incorporated into the canon. Personally, I hope the latter is true, & there are enough things in the show that support it that I can run with that idea regardless of whether actual confirmation exists or not. He’s far more interesting to me that way, both as a character & a positive lesson for people.

I also grew to quite like Fire Emblem as well, at least by the episode where he’s accused of murder. Still, that stereotype doesn’t give off the best first impression considering how often you see it in anime. I hope it’s just a slightly lazy archetype for convenience rather than people thinking Hard Gay is the standard for homosexuality, like Kanji’s story in Persona 4 commented on. As this is hardly my area of expertise so I couldn’t say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4