• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli's Suzuki Opposes Repealing Japan's Anti-War Clause

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
^^^ It helps if you are 7-10 hours ahead of the US mainland. Smile
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
Whoa, This Japanese mayor isn't Abe, but he's of the same point of view, and Abe's revisionist agenda is noted....

I can see the Chinese and Koreans whipping themselves up into a frenzy over this. Shocked
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Whoa, This Japanese mayor isn't Abe, but he's of the same point of view, and Abe's revisionist agenda is noted....

I can see the Chinese and Koreans whipping themselves up into a frenzy over this. Shocked

Yep I heard about it, I even heard the US State Department just denounced this and ask the same guy to apologize over his statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
Abe has been in office since 2001 and his next election is this year... We know who won't be getting re-elected
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't posted here about this but I have been making a point to other people about this subject. This sounds like if some of the British started stomping about, clamoring for a return of the Great and Bountiful British Empire. You know if they started doing that, a lot of people would be incredibly pissed, especially with all the anti-imperialism that's floating about nowadays.

Either way, this party sounds incredibly dangerous, and I hope that more and more Japanese folks oppose them. Surely they aren't a major threat now, but it sounds like they want to bring back "the Japan of old" that caused many to suffer and eventually got their country hit with nuclear weapons. Hopefully enough people remember the suffering their country went through at the hands of their incredibly unjust government (at the time) so that something like that doesn't have to happen to them like that again.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Abe has been in office since 2001 and his next election is this year... We know who won't be getting re-elected

Don't hold your breath. There is a huge current of revisionists in Japan, where most of the people were never told the cold hard truth of the late 19th early 20th century actions of their country, and its consequences.

Sure they knew they lost a war and had 2 A-bombs dropped, but they don't know why.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Don't hold your breath. There is a huge current of revisionists in Japan, where most of the people were never told the cold hard truth of the late 19th early 20th century actions of their country, and its consequences.

Sure they knew they lost a war and had 2 A-bombs dropped, but they don't know why.

Well this is why Wikipedia exist, even the comfort women controversy has it's own Japanese Wiki. Even Japanese historians that oppose revisionism can use online blogs (along with Youtube) to tell the real truth about Japan's dark history, revisionist can't even keep up their lies when technologies like blogs, Youtube can reveal the whole truth, I like to see the Japanese government trying to ban Youtube or close down non-revisionist historian blogs that reveal the whole truth about Japan's dark history, if they do that, then the Japanese government will be no better then the Chinese communist Party which censor everything negative about the CCP and even close down human right lawyers, dissidents' Sina Weibo account if they speak out against CCP. Also I believe a lot of Japanese do have relatives living overseas (USA, Brazil, Europe), so their relatives are going to find out about Japan's dark history one way or another and tell their relatives back at home about it. So the Japanese revisionist can't really cover up anymore due to advancement in technologies (blog, Youtube), and Japanese that have relatives overseas that will find out about Japan's dark history during WW2.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
I do agree, the Internet has helped get the real word out, a leveling of the playing field, if you would.

It's interesting how divergent the postwar paths that Germany and Japan have taken since 1945.

Sometimes I think it would have been better in the long run to have actually landed an invasion force on the Tokyo plains in late 1945-46. It would have driven home the message. It was primarily a failure of the Allied armies to enter Germany in 1918-1919 that enabled the "stab in the back" myth that helped Hitler to power in the 1930s.

But it would have also cost many more lives, on both sides, but many, many more on the Japanese side.

Last edited by guildmaster on Sat May 18, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
I do agree, the Internet has helped get the real word out, a leveling of the playing field, if you would.

I read about the Japanese textbook controversy on Wikipedia. All of these controversies happened before Youtube, the advancement of the internet such as social media and blogs. It would've been hard for non-revisionist historians to reveal the truth since their history textbooks would've been ban or not allowed in Japanese school. But now with blogs, non-revisionist historians in Japan can find ways of revealing the truth and I'm sure there are a lot of open-minded Japanese people that oppose revisionism/whitewashing real historical facts and are willing to support non-revisionist historians in anyway that include using blogs, Youtube, or other mean to reveal Japan's dark history. This is why I loved Youtube, and blogs. It's another way for people to show the truth with hard evidences that you can't find in any history textbooks.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
It all fits in, starting with the imperial re-script in August 1945 with the famous phrase the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage.

Mind you this was after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and After the Soviet declaration of war and Zuhkov's lightning campaign in Manchuria and Korea.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
But it's been over half a century and they no longer pose the global threat they once did. So I don't see Japan stiring up trouble anytime soon.

I like it because I believe that if they don't have any goal of military conquest, they'll direct their energy elsewhere. Like deflation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4