• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto ratings soar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navitron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Navitron wrote:
Only thing that made me grind my teeth "was" the opening and ending sequence's, the opening was not that bad but what realy made the first season of naruto good was the ending theme it added alot of emotion into naruto's character. Leaving that out just makes the american realese feel alot more just aimed at pure action. No real feeling to a character that needs alot more attension not in the just I'm gonna kill you with my ninja technices kinda feel, that the american realese kinda felt without the Japanese ending...

Keep in mind the limited timeslots Toonami has, they cannot show full openings and endings, that on average last almost 2 minutes. So to save time they just made a different opening, but only for Toonami.

The dvds will most likely contain the original openings and endings.

It's not only Toonami they shorten all the endings (and barly if at all show the openings) on AS to about less then 20 sec. I can see why they would its just my little petpeave about CN. The only show's I'v seen with op/ed intact was on Techtv now G4techtv which is now G4tv... >_>
bbj_ae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I personally did not care for Naruto's voice. I have a feeling that she will not be able to get emotions as strong as the japanese voice actor but I don't think there was a truly defined point (in the first two eps) that showed the potential for the english VA to be compared fully. I guess we'll see in the coming eps. The dub personally was not bad and I liked it to a point. I was very glad that they didn't call the shadow replication "doppleganger" like in the manga. The show has potential...but as a Naruto fan and being almost 10 years over the edge of the demographics given...i'll take my PG/PG-13-esque fansubs.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Keep in mind the limited timeslots Toonami has, they cannot show full openings and endings, that on average last almost 2 minutes. So to save time they just made a different opening, but only for Toonami.

As I heard it, the reason we had the new openings/closing was because either Cartoon Network or Viz could not secure the rights to the opening/closing the songs. Whether these were just the broadcast rights or the overall rights is unknown to me.

I do hope that we see the regular opening/closings with the uncut DVDs. There are some really good opening/closing songs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bbj_ae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:

As I heard it, the reason we had the new openings/closing was because either Cartoon Network or Viz could not secure the rights to the opening/closing the songs. Whether these were just the broadcast rights or the overall rights is unknown to me.

I do hope that we see the regular opening/closings with the uncut DVDs. There are some really good opening/closing songs.

I agree 100%. Asian Kung-Fu Generation is just a great band and they have a such a repatoire of songs for anime openings and closings and it is just expanding. Many of the other songs are great as well.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
bbj_ae wrote:
i'll take my PG/PG-13-esque fansubs.

Um, the show was aired at PG level. It sounds like you thought it was at the normal Y7 level. And PG-13 is only for movies in theaters, not TV series.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

You're right, the FCC doesn't have direct control over cable channels, but they can issue complaints. And recently, some conservative watchdog groups have been complaining that the government needs to control television more directly (because the government never screws up a good thing Rolling Eyes ) and there's a possibility the FCC might take control of cable,too.]

Alright, let's throw the political BS out the window and stop acting like cable channels were showing whatever they wanted with zero edits ever since the inception of cable Rolling Eyes The reason cable channels watch what they air is simple. Money. CN is aimed at a young demographic. As such, they will make edits to shows as necessary for them to be deemed acceptable to watch, not only by soccer-moms and the like, but mainly advertisers. That's where the money comes from, and that's who they don't want to lose.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
bbj_ae wrote:
I personally did not care for Naruto's voice. I have a feeling that she will not be able to get emotions as strong as the japanese voice actor but I don't think there was a truly defined point (in the first two eps) that showed the potential for the english VA to be compared fully. I guess we'll see in the coming eps.

I thought the voice was just fine, but I'm with you on the rest. Those of us who've followed the show 100+ eps in are more familiar with the fighting angry emotional Naruto. Remember, at this part in the story - all of episode 2 - Naruto hasn't gone through any of that. There's also a big time jump ahead coming up rather quickly - up to spoiler[the chuunin tournament.]

I'll hold off all my judgements till then.

Other than that, everything else seemed fine.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe someone can explain how they know just how many of this or that age group is watching it ?

On the subject of the episodes it self, 99.99% of the viewers were Naruto fans that wanted to see how the dubb would be treated. I don't think CN will ever know how many "new" fans they get.
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
Maybe someone can explain how they know just how many of this or that age group is watching it ?

The ratings maybe? THEY are watching us! Wooooo woooo wooooo!!

BeyonderZ wrote:
On the subject of the episodes it self, 99.99% of the viewers were Naruto fans that wanted to see how the dubb would be treated. I don't think CN will ever know how many "new" fans they get.

There are alot of people who were totally unfamiliar with Naruto that got to watch it for the first time ever, but I don't think we'll ever see an estimated figure here. However, some people just refuse to watch Naruto because of its "tainted" fanbase as some would put it (As with Inuyasha and DragonBall Z), although I find it funny most of those people never even gave those shows chance, whether watching the english dub or original japanese version. Its kinda scary that fanboys/girls can scare off potential fans so easily now a days.

But you are no doubt correct BeyonderZ, I don't think there is a SINGLE Naruto fan out there that wouldnt miss the dubs first showing just to see how it's treated. I was pretty surprised myself with its treatment, and even further shocked when alot of people at Naruto Fan including the webmaster (whom in the past has thrown dirt at Viz for their english adaption of the manga, which he now supports in full) greatly enjoyed it.

What a weird world we live in...I only wish One Piece could of gotten the "Naruto treatment". Hell, I would settle with the "DBZ Treatment" if it at least ment getting Uncut Dvds.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Adding up for a combined total of a 10.7.

A key part that played in Naruto's US success was the fact that it's already built an audience through Shonen Jump and fansubs. Viz was smart enough to be able to cater to that audience while producing a fun show for the kids, and viewers who haven't seen it before.

That's what separates Viz from 4Kids. With Shaman King and One Piece, 4Kids was too arrogant to try and use the pre-existing fan base to their advantage, and both of those shows failed.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:

Check here and here. Long story short, they sample a small portion of the overall TV audience, which allows them figure within a certain percentage of error, the approximate number of viewers.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
I thought the voice was just fine, but I'm with you on the rest. Those of us who've followed the show 100+ eps in are more familiar with the fighting angry emotional Naruto. Remember, at this part in the story - all of episode 2 - Naruto hasn't gone through any of that. There's also a big time jump ahead coming up rather quickly - up to spoiler[the chuunin tournament.]

Whoa, wha? Where did you hear this? They're not cutting the mist arc out . . are they?
oe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The audience, sure, but the critic - and I speak from experience, since I have my degree in film - is required to be educated in film. Any major newspaper - and most minor ones - won't hire a film critic unless he's taken a whole lot of classes on film, generally has a degree, and knows what he's talking about. Same for a theatre critic - his opinion is educated because he has to speak about it from a position of authority. Otherwise, why are you listening to him? Why does the newspaper print his opinion instead of Joe Shmoe's? Because he's educated. There's a lot of theory and effort and in many cases science behind film and theatre and production and performance that most people don't know about. Your average audience member may shrug off what they see as bizarre while the film critic might recognize it as an homage or an experiment... anyway, you see my point?

In order for me to consider that guy's opinion on the voice acting to be valid, since he doesn't back it up with anything other than some lame kneejerk gut reaction "Me no like English dub", he'd have to prove that he knows something - ANYTHING - about acting and performance. Someone saying they didn't like something, be it for personal reasons that they explain or they can point out some technical flaw with the performance... that makes sense. Someone saying "THAT DUB SUCKED AGGGH INTERNET RAGE" and then not backing it up with anything?

Why should I listen to his opinion? What does he know? Maybe he has crappy taste.

See what I'm saying?

Yes. I see what you're saying. Opinions should be substantiated, especially on the Internet. Although I'm going to stick with my comment about critics, or at least qualify it a bit in respect to your response. Of course some critics are very good, and have the knowledge and background required to justify their opinion of a work, as well as comment on larger issues like technique, style and relevance. And some critics may not have the background but may still justify their opinion, and write a reasonable appraisal of a piece. And some are caught up in being critics, and their impressive background, and actually become further removed from the piece and what it might mean or should mean to an average audience member. And some critics are hacks, like the guy who came to review me playing Hamlet whose "Special Skills" section on his acting resume had only one entry: "Owns a set of fangs." I'm not kidding. This guy had done some Star Trek reinactments and been in some soft-core S&M films and somehow ends up reviewing an uncut production of Hamlet. At least he didn't pan me.

Anyway, I'm sorry this has had nothing to do with Naruto so I'll just say that I can't wait for spoiler[Sasuke to go bad] and millions of American tweens to get swept away by the spoiler[homoerotic melodrama]. Ha ha. Sorry Zac, I love critics. Really.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
No, not cutting out the mist arc... I just must have cut it out of my memory Embarassed
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Adding up for a combined total of a 10.7.

Uhh... not quite.

The numbers you see are only the shares within the demographic, not out of all total viewers. You don't add up shares, you average out the shares (after you find the common denominator).

EDIT: And keep in mind that Kids 6-11 includes Boys 6-11 and Tweens 9-14 includes Tween boys 9-14, so you can't really average out these numbers as you'd be counting many of the same people twice or even four times (boys 9-11 are included in all these categories).

EDIT II: I was tired last night and wrote "average" in some places where I meant "share". The basic premise of what I meant is the same, that the shares given are from different demographic pies, not one big cross-demographic pie representing all viewers, and are not meant to be added up.

Last edited by Tenchi on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8