• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Another DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
nina_ts wrote:

The information comes from wikipedia, Japanese version of "Another", but you need to know Japanse to understand the information.
ttp://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another

BTW, just for your information.
Ayatsuji Yukito, the author of Another, is also the husband of Ono Fuyumi, the author of Twelve Kingdoms.

As if Wikipedia is a trusted source in any language. Razz
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
Quote:
The dub cast is well matched to the sub cast, and Greg Ayres and Monica Rial do a good job as the leads.

Greg Ayres will NEVER do a good job as a lead. Not to sound picky but the mere sound of his voice will NEVER (to me) sound like "Main Character" quality.

Comedic background character, side character, but NOT the main's best friend or "Bromantic Foil" (Clannad FAILED at this casting him there...) or hey as is common in anime, the annoying pet that can talk.

ALL of those voices fit for him, but a main he will never be, no matter how much he has Sentai's directorial staff wrapped around his finger and lands the majority of their lead roles.

I skip buying every single NA release of every show he's cast as one of the mains or anywhere 'near' one of the mains.

Cast, have yet to get the second, but I read in the credits that he's one of the minor characters, which is fine by me ^ ^

Inb4 "VA's gota take the roles they're offered" - Yes I know this, i've been to a few anime con's myself and the constant question from a person who's attending their first con is "How do I/you get into the VA world"

And the most common answer I hear a variation of is "You take the roles you're gives because they can be few and far between."

But somewhere along those lines... he seems to be getting WAY too many main lead roles... in my mind, he's GOT to be "the president's son" or the "directors favorite" or maybe whoever's in charge of giving him these leads LOVES trolling the fanbase thinking that his voice will make people go "Oh god not this again..."

Well, it's working, the troll is effective, but if that means not getting my $$$ for a NA release set, then that's working as well, sorry but his voice will never sell it for me O_o.

What a letdown, I really loved this show and wanted to show it off to people that don't normally watch anime (Which is one of my main reasons for buying english dubs in the first place aside from others), but I just can't see people taking this tory seriously with a voice like his. Pass on the DUB, worth it for the SUB, make of that what you will.

and if you think this cast isnt worth it, then just admit it to yourself that your the usual sub haters.

Epesically if you think Ayers isnt main character material since a majority of popular series he voiced as the main character and have a large fanbase cause of his work.

Not every Funi / ADV male VA can be like Mignona , Vale or Sabat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4