• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara!! to Run on U.S. Adult Swim Network in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Durarara yet (saw the first episode on Crunchyroll, liked it but...I find it difficult to commit to watching streams every week. Watching something on TV on Saturday after I'm supposed to go to bed is so much easier!) but I'm really glad it's going to run on Adult Swim. It seems to be something that deserves to be mainstream. And I'm always glad when something that looks like it has a lot of global appeal gets to be on TV. (Was hoping for Baccano but oh well. Perhaps we'll get Panty and Stocking on TV when the dub's done?)
Primus

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, major props to Animplex America for pulling this off.
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
khadijah1415 wrote:
I LOVE DRRR!!! I thought AS wasn't gonna have any anime in the summer but DRRR is coming so I'm happy. I wanted them to put it on AS. My other dream is to put One Piece back on air that isn't edited for kids. I know it will never happen but Americans need to see the magic of One Piece. Durarara has26 but I've never seen episode 12.5. I mean if if it was that important it be a real episode, the special was so funny. I guess I'll watch the 12.5 episode on AS.
You can watch episode 12.5 on Crunchyroll as it is on there now (it'll be in Japanese with English subtitles, though).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news! They must be -or might be- putting it in the FMA:B time block, or there abouts.

Not having seen the series (it's on my list) is it worth it to watch it or on DVD/BD? I guess I'm asking if there is adult content (language, etc.) in Durarara that would be edited out for broadcast?

Either way, this is good news.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
As someone who bought and paid an exuberant amount of money for the DVDs, but believes it was worth every penny, if you like dubs, I would recommend DVRing it, because those DVDs are EXPENSIVE! If you liked the subbed, you're better off watching it on YouTube, Hulu, or Crunchyroll, but if you just want to see the dub, make sure to record it.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
well this is good news tho I already have the DVDS with one on the way next week (winch I think it is worth the money by the way) I am glad that its coming to US TV I don't know how the fans who don't like mainstream will feel about this but its all good
Mirri

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
As someone who bought and paid an exuberant amount of money for the DVDs, but believes it was worth every penny.

It's not like we're talking about the Garden of Sinners box-set here, DRRR's price is a little above average, but the packaging is very nice. Aniplex has given the U.S. a quality release of DRRR.

It's not as expensive as the old days when we had to pay $20-30 for singles of 3-5 episodes, but I guess it is a little steep for the fans who are accustomed to S.A.V.E. editions and thinpaks of series that were licensed a few years back.

I think it's great that you think you got your money's worth - I wish that more fans had this attitude. This is definitely off-topic from Durarara! though.

My biggest question about the TV airing though, would the episodes that were "DVD-Exclusive" in Japan be aired? I sort of have a feeling they will be... If not, I can see some during-timeslot-advertising of "Buy DRRR! on DVD for the two unaired exclusive episodes!" like when Monster was advertised during its timeslot on SyFy (I bought the first box, and we're probably never going to see any more Sad)

If there's not some sort of advertisement of the DVD-only episodes, and they are not broadcasting a small commercial for them... I have a feeling that they would be making a bad decision. The fans who would be watching this on [adult swim], especially the girls, would go crazy and buy them (no gender discrimination intended- I just find that females are more likely to buy DVDs of a show they watched on TV than males in my experience.)

Who knows, though? I am not a marketer by any means, and I know that purchasing of anime in the U.S. has gone down since ever faster internet connections have become readily available.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, I'd been meaning to check that one out. Especially after rewatching Baccano. Good to see more anime on AS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Man, I've been meaning to buy DRR on DVDs when I save up enough money as an extra money. If the anime I watch is very good, I may consider buy it on DVDs when DRR is finished airing on AS.

I was expecting Final Act to be the "third" anime to premier on AS this year...
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
So was this anime any good? I kinda lost interest after the first few eps, but I may give it a second chance if it gets better.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
It's not as expensive as the old days when we had to pay $20-30 for singles of 3-5 episodes, but I guess it is a little steep for the fans who are accustomed to S.A.V.E. editions and thinpaks of series that were licensed a few years back.

It's pretty damn close. Typical 26 episode show generally used to be spread out over six volumes at 30 bucks a pop. That works out to $180 MSRP. Aniplex's DRRR sets total $150 MSRP. They're still basically using a bygone pricing scheme and not even offering a hi-def version.

Props to them for putting it on TV for free though. I'll watch, but they won't be seeing a single cent from me anytime soon.
Mirri

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Mirri wrote:

It's pretty damn close. Typical 26 episode show generally used to be spread out over six volumes at 30 bucks a pop. That works out to $180 MSRP. Aniplex's DRRR sets total $150 MSRP. They're still basically using a bygone pricing scheme and not even offering a hi-def version.

Props to them for putting it on TV for free though. I'll watch, but they won't be seeing a single cent from me anytime soon.

To be fair, I haven't been a DVD collector for a very long time, but these are series that I have on my shelf...

Cardcaptor Sakura was spread over 18 volumes at ~30 bucks a pop, X was 8 volumes at ~30 bucks a pop, My-HiME was 7 at ~30 bucks a pop, My-Otome was 7 at ~30 bucks a pop. R.O.D. 7 volumes. Chrono Crusade, 7 volumes. Betterman, 7 volumes... Getbackers, 10 volumes (though it was 4 cour, I guess this was one of the bettter deals.)

I don't see a single series on my shelf that was released in singles under 7 discs, except the two-box-of-three version of Chobits that is lacking in extras (Where is my Chibits? Sad), and that was released during the transition to thinpaks. I have an Eva thinpak that is 6 discs, and the original release may have been 6, I'm not 100% sure. Paranoia Agent and Air, 4 discs, one cour shows. Even a recent one cour show like Haruhi was first released on four single discs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of two cour shows in my experience were 7-8 discs and one cour were generally 4. Number of episodes per disc was very inconsistent between series and publishers, though.

Aniplex gives a extras other than just clean opening/closing and a reversible slip cover, and some pack-ins, even if they are spread across 3 box sets.

Also, after reading the news again, I have noticed it says "The entire 26 episode series" - the TV version in Japan was 24 episodes, so I guess that answers my earlier dumb question about whether or not the DVD-only episodes would be DVD-only.

edit: The intent of this message is not hostile at all - my only point is, it's a quality release and it's still 15-30% cheaper than singles used to be, MSRP. At Rightstuf's prices, vs. what I used to pay at Media Play (R.I.P. Sad) you'd be paying half of the price I paid for my 8 X singles (not including the extra cost for the artbox volume 1) plus shipping [would probably be about the same as sales tax was for me]

It's not the best pricing scheme, but it's not the worst either.

Plus OT: Putting some cute (I don't really care for him, but hey, to each their own) American Idol boy in the dub cast definitely attracts more young women. Young women are what keeps American Idol running. Note that since text messaging was enabled as a method of voting for American Idol, the number of female contestants in the rounds closing in on the end has gone down drastically. Coincidence? I think not.
Young women are a very large portion of the DRRR! fanbase. As much as I, as a male otaku (god I hate calling myself this) like it (even if it's not one of my favorites) - the fujoshi fanbase for DRRR! is probably the majority of the fanbase.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
stuff

Forgive me for not reading all of that, but I did skim the first few lines.

Beck (26 over 6), Berserk (25 over 6), Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 (26 over 6), Code Geass (25 over 6), Cowboy Bebop (26 over 6)...

That's just a small part of my collection, but it represents several different companies (FUNi, Media Blasters, ADV, and Bandai). It's a release strategy that was commonly employed back in the day. If you still don't believe me, I can keep listing titles.

Last edited by RedTail on Sun May 29, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Well. This was a surprise. And if I had cable anymore, this would probably mean something to me.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
FINALLY SOMETHING NEWWWW! I kinda gave up on AS a while ago, but I think i'll start watching again!

For the past few years AS has only been showing reruns of anime they've shown like 90591810583 times already (ex. Inuyasha, i love it...but it has got to stop...they need to show something new for gosh sakes...i mean if they had bunch of newer series playing instead of reruns ratings would be higher...and if the anime lineup didn't start so late...Years ago the anime lineup began after toonami, which was at 10 or 11. Now it's freaking 12 =__= And only the first 1.5 hour is new stuff) i wouldn't mind reruns if it wasn't the same anime reruns everytime...like AS should show Eureka Seven, or Trinity Blood, or Blood Plus, or Cased Closed, etc. again.

Now if only AS can get a hold of Soul Eater...or maybe if Ao No Exorcist gets dubbed...moooarrrr
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9