• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Outbreak Company (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Petrarca sure can be annoying at times...
Luckily she show signs of normalcy once in a while.
One the other hand Miusel is much nicer and I like her more.
Little queen seems to be competing for Kanou's attention.
First day of school spoiler[definitely didn't go well as planned.
Guess it was time for the first rebels to appear.]
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
That was great. I'm a firm believer that at least 95% of harem shows should be grounded in a solid and interesting setting so I think that's why I'm enjoying this so much.

Also, LOL at the next ep preview.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3
Wow, I wasn't expecting the show to take a serious twist especially in the second half. I mean, spoiler[Myuseru throwing herself in front of Petrarca to take that throwing knife? Wow.]

I think she's going to have much more respect for the maid now.

On a more comedy side, references everywhere in this episode. Lol @ the spoiler[AOT manga reference. That voice even fits for Kaji Yuki's character.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Petrarca sure can be annoying at times...

Just for your information, Petrarca doesn't have much of a choice on how to act towards a half elf.
Being a very young ruler she's already in a hard position of being approved by everyone, if she started acting out of protocol, people would throw her out of her position.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

The show does continue to be more impressive beyond the expectations of the genre. Of course you have the expected stuff like the love triangle like stuff, which is the adoration and jealousy, but with his opinion on it. Petralka comes off a little annoying but it is not like she hasn't been helping, you can see how she would be annoyed from him choosing to defend Myusel which kind of neglected the hard work Petralka put in.

Myusel has been great, I figured that the what Bluk spoiler[mentioned last episode was foreshadowing that that Myusel would be able to take down a lot of them]. I also figured that she spoiler[would jump in the way of the knife, she is that kind of girl]. I love how Shinichi was able to use the spoiler[alarm to bluff that he was activating some spell, or that he was able to use a fire extinguisher to stop a super weapon]. Laughing

I did not really look for much shout outs this time, but I spotted a spoiler[Nanoha hug pillow] so that is kind of enough. Actually did he even get hit when he was making comments on spoiler[Petralka's breasts], that would usually happen in harem anime. I like how the preview voice was spoiler[putting it up to wonder if Myusel would make it but she looked pretty fine] in the picture.

I wonder if we will get the animal ear girl soon.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
I think I saw a dog-eared character in the intro. I can't check right now though.

When spoiler[Shinichi said how Myusel put so much work into studying despite being so busy as a maid -I- could've smacked him. Don't get me wrong, cooking and cleaning is reverable work but her competition runs a freakin' nation. WHO'S busy now?]
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
And not just that.
When she comes before him and tell how much she studied and did, he's supposed to compliment her, or at least answer to her.
Yet he actually went ahead and started talking about Miusel.
Half-elf and supreme ruler or not, that was very rude of her towards Petrarca.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
And not just that.
When she comes before him and tell how much she studied and did, he's supposed to compliment her, or at least answer to her.
Yet he actually went ahead and started talking about Miusel.
Half-elf and supreme ruler or not, that was very rude of her towards Petrarca.

I smacked my forehead when he said that! Not because I could have had a V8 (heehee), but because she looked so proud of completing her second child book, only to have that asshole(!) brush it off. Seriously, you don't have to be an intelligent man to know what you should have done in that situation. I don't find her to be annoying at all, though. In fact, she's probably my favorite character lol for now, anyway
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
^ Ditto on the thoughts of how he handled it.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It is easy to sit behind your computers and bash people/characters. Come on he was an otaku not so long ago. Do you think he would be street smart? Just because you think something is obvious, doesn't mean everyone else would see it as the obvious thing to do. You know how people always say they always think of the perfect thing to say in conversations while in the shower, hours after a conversation? This is the same thing. He made a mistake.

Anyway I am really digging this anime. I love how there are little cliches. I was expecting him to get slapped after he made comments about her breast.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
The end of the episode caught me off guard. Hell, just the sight of blood in a show like this surprised me.

I guess you could say that what happened wasn't knife at all.

Ahaha!

I'll just show myself out
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:11 am Reply with quote
I have no conceptual bias towards shows that mix light comedy with darker, serious stuff. Hell, anime does that all the time. But for some reason, the specific mix here isn't working for me.

I'm not finding the light comedy stuff all that effective (i.e. comparing breast size gag - seen that a million times before) but what meagre enjoyment I do get out of it is then leeched away by the themes of class inequity, spoiler[terrorists taking over schools, cute half-elf maids getting stabbed, etc.]

For myself, I think I'd be enjoying this show more if there wasn't as much serious stuff mixed in.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
When spoiler[Shinichi said how Myusel put so much work into studying despite being so busy as a maid -I- could've smacked him. Don't get me wrong, cooking and cleaning is reverable work but her competition runs a freakin' nation. WHO'S busy now?]
Not to argue against Shinichi's inability to read the room, but spoiler[most likely, she doesn't do much ruling - at her age it's almost certain most of the work is being done by a regent, which would explain why she has so much time to devote to bugging him]. And besides, spoiler[depending on how the Empire organized, she might not even have all that much power to begin with - it's entirely possible most of the power is held by the lower nobles].
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Can't agree with you here, Blood-, as the mix you refer to is working beautifully for me. I am also really digging the way the series is slyly playing around with typical fan service conventions, whether by simply not emphasizing them when it's obvious, not using the stereotypical reactions, or using them to an alternate purpose (such as spoiler[Shinichi's face-plant-between-the-breasts] moment).

Lots of stuff to be impressed about in episode 3. This is swiftly becoming my favorite of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I was talking with some friends yesterday, and I came to a realization: This series reminds me a lot of Nadesico.

Both are series that start out with parodying their particular genre's tropes (Mecha with Nadesico, otaku/moe with OC), but that have their own story that stands on its own apart from everything else at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12