• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Girls und Panzer Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
If anyone's curious about the song they did use, it's Korobushka.

Like this version of the Korobushka? Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0N3xhOzc8

EDIT: Isn't this also considered the "Tetris Song"?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
If anyone's curious about the song they did use, it's Korobushka.

Like this version of the Korobushka? Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0N3xhOzc8

EDIT: Isn't this also considered the "Tetris Song"?

lol Well, it's of course not sung, since the video was altered to show Katyusha and Nonna not singing. And it's not played on strings.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

lol Well, it's of course not sung, since the video was altered to show Katyusha and Nonna not singing. And it's not played on strings.

Which literally removes the entire point of the scene.

So much fail on every level.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Key wrote:
Blood- lays it out pretty well. Sentai's Blu-Ray packs are equivalent in price to Funimation's LEs. Compare prices at certain retailers and even the $5 Sentai BR vs. non-LE Funimation release pricing gap shrinks further.

Oops, just a minor point of clarification: in my Blood-C and Btooom! example above, I was comparing Funi's non-LE edition versus Sentai's release, with a difference of $5. If I used the LE edition of Blood-C, then actually the MSRP for both releases is the same.
I'm not accepting the assertion made that the Funimation combopack feature is a "no-count" in this comparison: any comparison between Funi combopacks and Sentai releases must include both the price for the DVD and the price for the blu-ray. This means that getting the equivalent of a Funimation release from Sentai will cost you about twice as much.

I like Sentai. Really, I do. However, it pains me that they have been really dropping the ball with their dubs (arbitrary recasting/role-swapping, too many rank amateurs, Chris Ayres directing, Stephen Foster half-assing it ever since Horizon...). It also pains me that Sentai has so skimped on on-disc features. Sentai has produced, to my knowledge, 3 commentary tracks: Clannad (of all things), Towanoquon and Garden of Words. Funimation says that they have put a full-length commentary on their release of Blood C-: The Last Dark. If both they and I agree on the definition of "full length" then Funimation's commentary for one movie is mightier than all 3 Sentai commentaries. Also, virtually every Funimation release sports ~2 commentaries.

Sentai used to be the king of commentaries and other on-disc extras. I contend that they used to beat Funimation senseless when it came to dubs. Now they don't even try and that's the worst part. It's not as though Funimation is setting the bar very high-I believe that they, due to lack of competition, are lowering it-but I can't help but feel that Sentai isn't even trying to surpass it.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
It also pains me that Sentai has so skimped on on-disc features. Sentai has produced, to my knowledge, 3 commentary tracks: Clannad (of all things), Towanoquon and Garden of Words. Funimation says that they have put a full-length commentary on their release of Blood C-: The Last Dark. If both they and I agree on the definition of "full length" then Funimation's commentary for one movie is mightier than all 3 Sentai commentaries. Also, virtually every Funimation release sports ~2 commentaries.

I was surprised and impressed by FUNi's video commentary for Good Luck Girl. Can't wait to see more of that.

Quote:
Sentai used to be the king of commentaries and other on-disc extras. I contend that they used to beat Funimation senseless when it came to dubs. Now they don't even try and that's the worst part. It's not as though Funimation is setting the bar very high-I believe that they, due to lack of competition, are lowering it-but I can't help but feel that Sentai isn't even trying to surpass it.

They used to be great as ADV perhaps. I loved their extras for Princess Tutu. You could tell Luci Christian loved her role and put a lot of work into it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Key wrote:
Blood- lays it out pretty well. Sentai's Blu-Ray packs are equivalent in price to Funimation's LEs. Compare prices at certain retailers and even the $5 Sentai BR vs. non-LE Funimation release pricing gap shrinks further.

Oops, just a minor point of clarification: in my Blood-C and Btooom! example above, I was comparing Funi's non-LE edition versus Sentai's release, with a difference of $5. If I used the LE edition of Blood-C, then actually the MSRP for both releases is the same.
I'm not accepting the assertion made that the Funimation combopack feature is a "no-count" in this comparison: any comparison between Funi combopacks and Sentai releases must include both the price for the DVD and the price for the blu-ray. This means that getting the equivalent of a Funimation release from Sentai will cost you about twice as much.

That's assuming you want the DVDs in the first place. Honestly, I hate combo packs and think they are a waste of time and space. I have never, ever used a single DVD from any of the combo packs I've purchased. In fact, I think I've used the digital/Ultraviolet/iTunes copies more often than I've used the DVDs, and at least they don't take up extra space and they actually have some purpose. Sometimes it's just convenient to hit Play in iTunes, instead of loading a disc, or if I'm on the road or somewhere where I can't play a bluray.

A combo pack to me is just an inconvenience. If I have a bluray player, what the hell do I need a DVD copy for? I've heard the argument made that you could loan them out to friends who don't have a bluray player, but I honestly don't have any friends that would be interested in anime and don't already own one. In fact, I hardly no anyone who doesn't have a PS3 or a dedicated bluray player. Even my parents have one, though they are just as likely to buy DVDs as they are blurays.

Also, don't forget that not all Funimation releases are combo packs anyway.

FlamingFirewire wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I don't quite understand why Funimation gets a free pass from so many people, especially when they repeatedly refuse to acknowledge issues or offer exchanges, and Sentai gets crucified for even the smallest mistake.

I lump Funimation in with ADV, and won't pre-order any of their releases because of past a/v problems. I'm still willing to pre-order from NISA, Aniplex, Nozomi/TRSI and Discotek. The last Funi release that I purchased was the Lain set with the video problem, and prior to that it was the Aug. 2011 Spice & Wolf BDs. I like shows that they've licensed (Steins;Gate & Lupin/Fujiko); I just have a difficult time getting myself to buy what they release. I have purchased 7 of ADV's releases from the last two years, and there are a few other recent or future Blu-rays of theirs that I'd like to buy.
Girls und Panzer is an excellent sports anime that should be seen, via streaming or ADV's slightly disappointing release.

What was the issue with the Lain release - I purchased one of the first run copies and having watched the series once through, I thought the blu ray transfer looked fantastic. What was wrong with it?

There is a large amount of banding and other issues in both the Japanese and the US release. The big problem with Funimation's release is that they cranked up the brightness considerably so the flaws are much more noticeable. I know there are some comparison shots floating around somewhere. I will have to see if I can track them down.

For the record, while I think Funimation made a big mistake with the brightness levels on Lain, I don't think the video quality was as bad as some people made it out to be. It's definitely not the best looking anime release I've seen, but we've seen far worse from Funimation in the past, not to mention the other R1 companies.

SouthPacific wrote:
Key wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
It's a Sentai release so I will not buy it. I will not support such a horrific business practise as the one Sentai Filmworks promotes/uses. Bare-minimum releases, quality check is nowhere to be found & they price 10-12 episode releases @59.99$ (Amazon price). It's beyond me why anyone would support this company, who shows no passion for the medium itself, nor for their customers.

The anime itself (GaruPan) is cool, but I will never again buy a Sentai Filmworks release. Never Laughing .

Sentai's titles aren't any more expensive for the episode content you get than Funimation's are. So get off your high horse and stop making a fool of yourself with such claims.

(And if this sounds a little rude, well, I'm getting real tired of hearing that unreasoned complaint. Sentai has its occasional problems, but gouging on pricing is not one of them.)

Ending an argument with an insult will not get you far mate. Anyways, did a quick check on Amazon, and you can find many new Funimation titles for 41.99-51.99$ while nearly all new Sentai Filmworks titles are being priced at 59.99$, and a few at 49.99$. If you'd buy, lets say, 10 titles from each company you'd be paying more for your 10 Sentai releases while also getting less, as Funimation usually have a bit of digital extras, as well as art boxes.

When I buy anime I don't calculate how much I pay for each episode, I look at how good the release is as a whole. If I just wanted the episodes in BD quality i'd go with fansubs, which I do in many cases because the release for anime X has been a bad one.

In short, i'd rather buy one good release for 150$ rather than 3 subpar releases for 177$.

As was already pointed out to you, Amazon price gouges on a lot of their anime releases. Virtually every website out there is cheaper when it comes to shows, particularly when it comes to Sentai releases. They do have some good deals from time to time though. I've preordered a few Sentai blurays in the past for as low as $32, and a quick look through Amazon shows that they still have several fairly recent Sentai shows in the mid $30 range. Recently it seems Amazon doesn't lower the price until a few weeks after the release date.

Deep Discount, Walmart, Right Stuf, Anime Corner, and a half dozen other sites will give you much better pricing on Sentai releases, and most of them include free shipping (sometimes for lower purchases than Amazon.) What's the point of shopping on the internet if you're not even going to take 30 seconds to compare pricing? If you want to pay close to full price, why not just run to FYE?

I'm actually starting to give up on Amazon as far as media purchases go. They use to have some of the best deals, now most websites are price matching them and often beating them. A lot of physical stores are also price matching them. If I can run to Best Buy or Walmart and grab it while I'm out for the same price, I don't see much advantage in ordering it online and waiting two days.

It seems Amazon is really becoming the "Walmart of the internet" in that people usually associate them with lower prices, when in fact, many other retailers are far cheaper for the same item. Other than their Gold Box specials, virtually everything on their site can be found somewhere else for less money.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's assuming you want the DVDs in the first place. Honestly, I hate combo packs and think they are a waste of time and space.
Whether or not you personally want the DVDs or the Blu-rays (for the luddites out there) is irrelevant as far as making a fair comparison goes, to be blunt, as Funimation gives us both versions in each of their releases. A fair comparison to Sentai offerings has to also include the Sentai DVDs and Sentai Blurays, which means two separate items and ~double the cost.

Even if you don't value them, the DVDs or blurays have a value and pretending that the value doesn't exist when making the comparison isn't cool as it skews the comparison. Same goes for the extra features.

Sentai, please, if you can't give us commentary like you did in the ADV days then please give us commentary on works that don't suck IMO. If you can't find it in yourselves to do that, could you please fix whatever is causing Chris Ayres to drop the ball as a director and rotate Jason Grundy in for Foster more often as I think the case that Foster is "burnt out" has pretty much made itself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
That's assuming you want the DVDs in the first place. Honestly, I hate combo packs and think they are a waste of time and space.
Whether or not you personally want the DVDs or the Blu-rays (for the luddites out there) is irrelevant as far as making a fair comparison goes, to be blunt, as Funimation gives us both versions in each of their releases. A fair comparison to Sentai offerings has to also include the Sentai DVDs and Sentai Blurays, which means two separate items and ~double the cost.

Even if you don't value them, the DVDs or blurays have a value and pretending that the value doesn't exist when making the comparison isn't cool as it skews the comparison.

Actually, that's a pretty dopey assertion. Combo packs really only benefit one type of consumer (and a type that will shrink as time goes on): the person who can only play DVDs right now but who thinks he or she will eventually get a Blu-ray player. For everyone else, the additional disc is nothing more than a drink coaster (or a freebie that can passed onto a friend/relative).

DVD authoring and production is much cheaper than the equivalent Blu-ray process. The DVD copy that Funi is throwing into their combo packs isn't costing them much to provide. It's true that if, for some bizarre reason, you did want a DVD and Blu-ray release of the same title through Sentai, it would cost you almost double what a Funi combo pack costs, but I can't imagine why a situation like that would come up in real life. I'll be glad when Funi (and other distribs who do this, like NISA) finally ditches the combo pack which I think it inevitably will.

As a consumer, I'd rather have the choice of which format to buy: and the DVD version should be significantly less than the Blu-ray version.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

Even if you don't value them, the DVDs or blurays have a value and pretending that the value doesn't exist when making the comparison isn't cool as it skews the comparison.

Actually, that's a pretty dopey assertion. Combo packs really only benefit one type of consumer (and a type that will shrink as time goes on): the person who can only play DVDs right now but who thinks he or she will eventually get a Blu-ray player. For everyone else, the additional disc is nothing more than a drink coaster (or a freebie that can passed onto a friend/relative).

I play the BDs on my BD player, DVDS on my DVD player/computer. Guess I'm dopey. {I can afford multiple BD players, not enough space or money for an additional HD tvs/monitors} So when I'm not in front of my HD set-up, BDs are as good as coasters to me though I can play DVDs all over the place.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

No kidding. They should have just removed that scene altogether. No singing plus tetris music made for a very awkward sequence.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac - actually, my point wasn't that consumers who do find ways to use both the DVD and Blu-ray discs are dopey - what I think is dopey is thinking that Funi combo packs, where the DVD can be provided very cheaply, represent some sort of super-amazing deal that makes comparing Sentai Blu-ray releases to Funi combo packs inoperative.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
stove top stuffing wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

No kidding. They should have just removed that scene altogether. No singing plus tetris music made for a very awkward sequence.

I didn't notice anything awkward or out-of-place at all, so I think it's only "awkward" for those who have seen it the original way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DiGiKerot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Personally I'm hoping that the Australian/NZ release won't suffer from the same problem

The Australian release is the US release, I'm afraid - the BD is dual-coded Region A and B, and sticking it in a Region B player results in the disk displaying Hanabee, rather than Sentai, logos.

Given the specific changes to the video, I rather suspect Sentai didn't even get a choice in whether they wanted to try and license Katyusha or not - there's some changes that could only have realistically been done if the animation studio went in and recomposited the scene from the original materials. It wouldn't surprise me if Sentai were handed the materials, with the audio replacement in there, and told that if they want to release it, that's the version they have to use. That's just idle speculation, though.

Which isn't to say that I don't think that the change of audio ends up completely changing the tone of the scene into something that's farcical - because it totally does - but I also wouldn't hold my breath for any edition outside of Japan having the original version of that scene.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I didn't notice anything awkward or out-of-place at all, so I think it's only "awkward" for those who have seen it the original way.

Too bad some will never experience the scene. It may be minor, but it's still one of the highlights of the series. Can you imagine if they removed Erika or Panzerlied?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me exactly - like, we're talking episode number and time stamp - where this change was supposedly done? Now I want to go back and look at it again tonight and see if I notice anything odd if I do know that something was changed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7