• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Eater Not Anime Trailer Introduces Tsugumi Harudori

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

it would have been better to just make a second soul eater anime considering that the manga is still ongoing.

If you look at how profitable it'll be? I don't think so, Soul Eater already had an anime to promote its manga, Soul Eater Not! does not.

Its not like the Soul Eater anime sold a lot of BD/DVDs in Japan.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
Touma wrote:
At the end of volume 2 of the manga it looks like the story is getting much more dark and serious. Whether that is true or not I am looking forward to finishing the manga either way.

I've seen the chapters beyond volume 2 and no, the plot doesn't get any darker or more serious.

That is probably bad news for those who want something that is more like the original, but it is good news for me because I really like the way that the Soul Eater NOT manga started.

I really do like Soul Eater, which is why I have read 18 volumes of the manga and watched the anime twice, but I think that I could like NOT even more. It is still too early to be sure though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
no kidding. it had to have taken place years after the original.

No, it takes place before (and maybe during) the original. I haven't read enough of Not! to know whether it continues through the events of the original, but I know it starts before the original did. At around the 13 second mark in the trailer you can see Sid Barret still alive (before he became a zombie).

jr0904 wrote:
it would have been better to just make a second soul eater anime considering that the manga is still ongoing.

The original manga? No, the Soul Eater manga is complete. Soul Eater Not! is ongoing, but I heard that it may be winding down as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
Touma wrote:
At the end of volume 2 of the manga it looks like the story is getting much more dark and serious. Whether that is true or not I am looking forward to finishing the manga either way.

I am also looking forward to finishing the original Soul Eater manga. I just read volume 18.
I hope that the anime did well enough for Funimation that they will license Soul Eater NOT!

I've seen the chapters beyond volume 2 and no, the plot doesn't get any darker or more serious. The Shaula incident is forgotten fairly quickly, actually. There's like 30 or so chapters of Soul Eater Not out and Shaula still hasn't reappeared yet in the story.

And I don't know the actual numbers for the sales, but I think Funimation profited fairly well from Soul Eater. I'd be more surprised if they didn't license Soul Eater Not. If they do, I don't know if they'll consider this anime worth enough to bring the original Soul Eater dub cast back (since I'm assuming this anime is going to only be 12 episodes).

Yeah, the first thing Shaula has done on-panel in the manga other than monologue and it was solved and forgotten just like that, never brought up again until the most recent chapter (and the Raws made it seem like it was brought up for the sake of a joke that lasted a good 2 pages, and less for actual relevance.) Seriously, such a shame that it never went anywhere and that the main characters, for some flipping reason, never talk about it or think back to what happened during their most serious moments. You'd think Tsugumi would have some sort of trauma or it would have motivated her or made her curious enough to find out what happened (which could then lead to her meeting Shaula.) Nope- let's go back to watching girls be "girls."

And to clarify, it's the writing in the series I'm mad at, not that it didn't get darker. The whole incident and what happened afterwards is just a huge case of disappointing writing that it makes me cringe at how much of a mess it is at times.

Soul Eater was and is still one of Funi's best selling anime (and, in my opinion, one of their better dubs.) And I'm not gonna lie, even if I don't like the series I'd probably still buy a Soul Eater NOT box set from them if they do license it, for the sake of supporting the franchise. There's a high chance they will get the original voice actors back for the cameos if they do dub it, since form the looks of things they apparently love to keep the original cast of a dub, if feasible (like what they did with Black Lagoon, Eureka Seven AO, and Brotherhood.)

Can what really happened in Soul Eater NOT be condensed in 12 episodes though? A lot of the chapters in NOT are random (and not in a good way for me), and I hate to see the much more important moments just rushed through and be done with in only an episode. But guess we'll just have to wait until an official number pops up to see...
Bolaum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

Where can I see those numbers?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
rederoin wrote:

http://www.someanithing.com/index.php?s=soul+eater
You could also go to the Japanese sales wiki, but I don't have the link atm.

Those are only the numbers reported by Oricon though.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Bolaum wrote:
rederoin wrote:

http://www.someanithing.com/index.php?s=soul+eater
You could also go to the Japanese sales wiki, but I don't have the link atm.

Those are only the numbers reported by Oricon though.

Thank you for the link. Is that overall (since its release until today)? Also how many sales is considered "good"?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
rederoin wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

Also Space Dandy is getting a second season.

That has never been confirmed.

It was indeed confirmed for 2nd season. The first 13 episodes was the 1st season.

Source? I find it odd that none of the Japanese websites or Western anime news websites would report it. Espcailly when we are talking about big sites such as ANN and MAL.

It really just sounds like a rumour to me.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-22/space-dandy-2nd-anime-season-to-air-in-july-in-japan

:3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4