• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Changing Tides

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pylgrim

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Random thought about my quest to watch something legally streaming: Game of Thrones. I don't have cable, so I figure, "Hey, I can watch HBO GO, maybe get a trial or something to watch it." So I go there and find out that there is no trial. Alright, no trouble, I'll just buy a month of HBO GO. Ok, I can't just by GO. Fine, I'll get HBO so I can use it. Oh, I need cable? I don't have cable. THAT'S WHY IM ON THE INTERNET TO STREAM IT. Why should I need cable to watch something on the internet. So they wouldn't even LET me give them my money to watch it. So I tried to download it and was told by my isp I had to delete them immediately. Figures... I don't know why they won't let me pay them my money. I figure I may blind buy it on bluray, but at the time I wanted to they weren't even in print because apparently some scene was to be altered and they discontinued all runs, but I think that has been fixed.

I remember when The Oatmeal posted the same rant, and it sounded just as entitled then. HBO isn't required to make all their content available to you in the format or delivery method you prefer. Is it shitty? Yes, but that's their choice to make.

It took a while, but the first three seasons are available on Amazon Instant Video and iTunes.

It would be fair enough if HBO wasn't in a constant stir about people pirating their precious GoT. You should see the huge deal they've made about Australians pirating it. But... they do not make it available except under the most draconian means?
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Macross franchise has never had a single decent English dub. Animaze's 2 and Plus dubs, while featuring some good talent, were still clumsy and poorly performed. Hell, even Bryan Cranston was terrible in it. And ADV's SDF dub was embarrassingly bad, partly because they thought that the Japanese VA for Minmay would be cool to have as the English VA, too. Yeah, she can speak English. But she can't act in it.

Think you'll find that not many people agree with you on the bolded part, especially for Macross Plus. Its dub is widely held in high regard, even by people who often don't otherwise tolerate dubs.

And I'd even argue that the original Macross's dub, while not spectacular, was still an improvement over the lackluster Japanese original.

Concerning streaming players and taking screen shots: I have a lot of experience with this because of doing screen shots for Preview Guide entries. I vastly prefer Crunchyroll to players on other sites for this purpose because one usually gets higher video quality at any screen size and (most importantly) one can actually shut the subtitles off on CR's streams, so getting artwork-only screen shots is immensely easier. The players that both Sentai and Funimation use/have used are pains in the butt to work with for this and the reasons that others have mentioned.

And my personal screen shot tool of choice? The Snipping Tool utility that comes with Windows 7. Its only flaw is that there's a very slight delay between when you activate it and when the screen freezes for snipping, which means that getting the perfect snip of a running stream like Funimation's requires timing practice.

But at least Funimation's video feed doesn't freeze up on you and require reloading if you pause it for more than a couple of minutes. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pylgrim

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
About karaoke: A huge percentage of the disc releases STILL don't have karaoke. It was actually a hit to my desire of owning anime when I started borrowing anime from the public library in a baby step to move away from fansubs, and I discovered much to my disappointment that they had no karaoke, no translated signs, no translator notes on traditional Japanese idioms or concepts, no colour-coded text for quick and messy dialogue, etc, etc. All that is definitely a labour of love by the fansubbers.

I'm not crazy to pretend that simulcast streams should have that stuff... but physical media released months and sometimes years afterwards? I feel that it is inexcusable not to go the extra mile to offer a more polished product. And then they complain that fansubs take away their business when they are not even trying to raise to standards set by teenagers working for free in their spare time within 2-3 days of episode release? Sometimes I really don't understand this industry.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Pylgrim wrote:
About karaoke: A huge percentage of the disc releases STILL don't have karaoke. It was actually a hit to my desire of owning anime when I started borrowing anime from the public library in a baby step to move away from fansubs, and I discovered much to my disappointment that they had no karaoke, no translated signs, no translator notes on traditional Japanese idioms or concepts, no colour-coded text for quick and messy dialogue, etc, etc. All that is definitely a labour of love by the fansubbers.

I'm not crazy to pretend that simulcast streams should have that stuff... but physical media released months and sometimes years afterwards? I feel that it is inexcusable not to go the extra mile to offer a more polished product. And then they complain that fansubs take away their business when they are not even trying to raise to standards set by teenagers working for free in their spare time within 2-3 days of episode release? Sometimes I really don't understand this industry.

It certainly depends on the company. Most of my collection are Funimation products and so I know most, if not all of their releases have all the trimmings. Translation notes for signs, tropes, concepts, puns(They're everywhere in Hetalia), distinguished subtitles for different characters speaking simultaneously, etc. I find that Funimation are no slouches in that department.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
Pylgrim wrote:

Fansubbers don't have to submit their work for approval by the licensors. Commercial translators do. Having song/sign translations usually involves making a separate subtitle track so you can watch the dub without having all the text for the dialogue as well.

Karaoke subtitles are one reason I avoid fansubs. Fancy text effects simply aren't possible with soft DVD/Blu-ray subtitles, so unless you want non-removable hard subs encoded on the video... Or did you mean just plain song translation when you say "karaoke"?

I do have some R1 releases with detailed liner notes, either on disc or in printed booklets. Even on-screen footnotes in some parts of Kimagure Orange Road TV.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
The fact that BD subs are just upgraded DVD subs pretty much prevents karaoke, given rapid changing of subtitles can crash some players. If BD4K manages to get real subtitles working, I'd imagine they'd be fairly powerful, though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Think you'll find that not many people agree with you on the bolded part, especially for Macross Plus. Its dub is widely held in high regard, even by people who often don't otherwise tolerate dubs.

And I'd even argue that the original Macross's dub, while not spectacular, was still an improvement over the lackluster Japanese original.

The woman who played Myung in the Plus English dub might be the worst voice actor I've ever heard in my 30 years on this planet. I suppose that could be why she's hardly ever voice acted since. And even Richard Epcar was kind of phoning it in (though maybe he wasn't as good back then). It's cringeworthy. I guess it took awhile before Animaze truly hit its heights.

As for SDF Macross, no ADV dub was ever an improvement over anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:

Worse, the more popular a site gets, the more ISPs take notice, and as with the Netflix (which does show anime titles) and Comcast, the problem is getting worse for consumers.

Netflix has recently increased its monthly fee by $1 in the US to new members (existing members get a 2 year grandfather clause).

If issues like this continue, illicit sites will actually begin to see an increase in usage, not the decrease license holders are wishing for.

With the end of net neutrality in the US, those illegal streaming sites will be forced to pay up to the ISPs too, but of course they won't do that, so they'll be relegated to the slow lane.

Pylgrim wrote:

Have a talk with here professional subtitler: Laughing

• Subtitles are a pain in the ass. No other part of making a DVD or Blu-ray is as complicated, error-prone, or as likely to be called out on mistakes by fans. They're also one of the hardest parts of making a DVD or a Blu-ray, due mostly to how complicated they are....

penguintruth wrote:

no ADV dub was ever an improvement over anything.

Probably Super Milk-Chan.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
My only real issue with ADV's Macross dub is that "muh-CROSS" pronunciation that's at odds with every other Macross dub (including the Macek pilot dub that's on the very same first DVD!). It grates on me throughout the entire show.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The woman who played Myung in the Plus English dub might be the worst voice actor I've ever heard in my 30 years on this planet. I suppose that could be why she's hardly ever voice acted since.

I guess that you haven't seen Clash of the Bionoids, huh? I have yet to hear a dub that's worse than that.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
I would think it's really easy to come up with a way to not have this problem? Is there someone we should be complaining to?

They (I'm guessing Japan?) don't necessarily want people screenshotting their anime, which is probably counterproductive. I remember I wanted to show someone a panel form Jmanga and I couldnt even printscreen it, had to use my phone to take a photo of my computer screen which was dumb.

Pylgrim wrote:

It would be fair enough if HBO wasn't in a constant stir about people pirating their precious GoT. You should see the huge deal they've made about Australians pirating it. But... they do not make it available except under the most draconian means?

At the risk of soapboxing like I always do whenever I come on these forums...I recently subscribed to Foxtel Play so I could watch GoT here in Australia and it works perfectly fine, it isnt "draconian" at all (although I admit its a downgrade from previous seasons, which were available for download on iTunes)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:
omoikane wrote:
I would think it's really easy to come up with a way to not have this problem? Is there someone we should be complaining to?

They (I'm guessing Japan?) don't necessarily want people screenshotting their anime, which is probably counterproductive. I remember I wanted to show someone a panel form Jmanga and I couldnt even printscreen it, had to use my phone to take a photo of my computer screen which was dumb.

I've used Snipping Tool (inherent to Windows, just search for it in Start) to take screen caps of games/visual novels whenever PrintScreen gave a blank/black image.
If you have Win7, try it, not sure if its still in Win8. Haven't tried it on Flash though.
Pylgrim

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Pylgrim wrote:

At the risk of soapboxing like I always do whenever I come on these forums...I recently subscribed to Foxtel Play so I could watch GoT here in Australia and it works perfectly fine, it isnt "draconian" at all (although I admit its a downgrade from previous seasons, which were available for download on iTunes)

Forcing you to join a cable network to watch one show is not draconian?
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
phifedawg wrote:

I've used Snipping Tool (inherent to Windows, just search for it in Start) to take screen caps of games/visual novels whenever PrintScreen gave a blank/black image.
If you have Win7, try it, not sure if its still in Win8. Haven't tried it on Flash though.

It is there in W8, and a quick try show that it does work with Flash, or at least with youtube.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4