• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to see some reviews for older shows, but I agree with other people that I'd really prefer them to be for shows that it's still possible to watch legally.

With that said, a few of my suggestions for things that are still easy to find:
Basilisk
Birdy the Mighty
Haibane Renmei
Last Exile
Moribito

And a bit harder to find:
Berserk
Blood+
Scrapped Princess
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
It's not the Death Note movie, it's the new live action drama adaptation that Crunchyroll started streaming yesterday! I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the review up (although I haven't seen the ep yet).

FLAG is a great hidden treasure that almost nobody has seen. Not sure about its availability, though.

Hmm...maybe there can be a vote about classic series based on poster's suggestions and critic interest?
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
It feels like ANN tacitly encouraging piracy in an age where very few titles actually need to be pirated to be seen. I'm sure Nick is getting the DVDs legally, but if no one else can, what's the point?

Yeah, that would be the only way for me to watch Paranoia Agent if I have interest on it, but I don't think that they are encouraging piracy, not even tacitly. They are just doing reviews of something that may be new for some fans of anime, like me! And I'm really looking forward to those reviews.

I'm glad that the shows I'll watch are going to be reviewed, and as someone said before me, it's a shame that Shimoneta didn't make the cut because it would've been fun to read its reviews or the comments it would create.

A question: is Nagato Yuki-chan get its two final reviews as well?
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity: Is it possible to see the actual percentage results for this poll? I would enjoy being able to see which shows were voted the most and least just to gauge popularity.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to second Gankutsuou for the classic reviews!

Also, I'm curious what was the bottom of the list, vote-wise, haha.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well keeping suggestions to shows that are 26 eps or less so that your reviewers aren't spending a year or more on a series, I'd be interested in reading weeklies on:

Noir
Baccano
Haibane Renmei
Crest of the Stars
Welcome to the NHK
Serial Experiments Lain

I think any of those shows would give a reviewer plenty to talk about.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
And I don't believe that every available critic at ANN has seen every readily available classic from the 70's to the mid aughts. What about the original Gundam? Nobody's Boy Remi (pretty sure its on Hulu)? Princess Tutu?

For now, this exercise is being limited to '90s and fresher series. And you'd be surprised how many people around ANN have seen Princess Tutu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
My figurative hat goes off to the reviewers who do this and have their other jobs. I don't know how they find the time to balance it.
shadowxx91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Glad to see everything that I picked got selected, but i'm disappointed to see that shimoneta didn't get picked up for review, regarding the classic reviews here are some i would love to see if it works out alright

GANTZ

Claymore

Ga-Rei-Zero

Monster
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Man, it's been a whiiile since I've seen Paranoia Agent, but I think my memory for it's still pretty good--which is saying something, since I last saw it in middle school. I'm not sure what all this hullabaloo about "encouraging piracy" is about though. A cursory glance through ebay shows a lot of region free versions popping up, both dubbed and subbed, for around $20.

Really looking forward to Nick's reviews! Very Happy I find his reviews to be very insightful, and it'll be fun seeing what he makes of that roller coaster of a series. Anime hyper

EDIT: While I'd also love to see Monster, we did get Theron's "arc" reviews a few years ago, so I dunno if that's a viable candidate. :/
-Ana-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a episodic review of Natsume Yuujinchou. I don't really know if it's considerd classic but I like to think so. Though it's over 50 episodes if you would review all seasons.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Paul somehow got all of the fun shows! Here's to hoping they can all bring us smiles every week. Wink
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm not sure what all this hullabaloo about "encouraging piracy" is about though. A cursory glance through ebay shows a lot of region free versions popping up, both dubbed and subbed, for around $20.

Region free/region 0 anime DVDs are almost universally pirated/bootlegged.

If I remember correctly, the only company to put out officially-licensed region free (non-hentai) English-dubbed anime DVDs in any significant quantity was Central Park Media.

Take a look at the discs. If the series is dubbed into English and is playable on your Region 1 player, there should be FOUR discs, and "Geneon" should be printed on EACH disc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info re Death Note. First I heard of it. Still not sure why it's being reviewed among the anime though. But I guess if people are interested, that's what matters.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Hmm, well keeping suggestions to shows that are 26 eps or less so that your reviewers aren't spending a year or more on a series, I'd be interested in reading weeklies on:

Noir
Baccano
Haibane Renmei
Crest of the Stars

I think any of those shows would give a reviewer plenty to talk about.

They did an ANNcast on Haibane not to long ago, so maybe not that one? The other three I left on seem like strong ideas, and maybe I'd even watch Noir along with them since I've never seen it. Crest of the Stars was something I was thinking of earlier, it's a good Sunrise title, a sci-fi that's about as close as you get to Legend of the Galactic Heroes (even though it focuses on a ridiculously small part of one conflict and not a larger overview), and it's probably been about as forgotten as Betterman or Infinite Ryvius by now compared to the likes of Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, or Bebop.

I would think that also doing Onii-sama e... would be a strong choice since it's brand new (to the US) and it's a strong Dezaki title full of yuri melodrama.
Agent355 wrote:
FLAG is a great hidden treasure that almost nobody has seen. Not sure about its availability, though.

It is Takahashi's second best mecha series. It's short and to the point and it's definitely different in terms of production. And since no one's ever gonna review VOTOMS; Blue Gender and Gasaraki would never make it; and Layzner, Galient, Dougram, and Mellowlink aren't available, it's probably the best pick outside of doing something not in his typical wheelhouse, like the Phoenix TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7