• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Vampires That Don't Suck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
xzy123 wrote:
{Irrelevant comment.

yup...

Karin should be working at a blood bank. she will continuously produce blood nonstop there-- misfortune ? there are plenty of people out there
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Well... except in the manga version, we learn that spoiler[her blood levels aren't infinite, and she'll eventually die. The problem is that her blood is apparently a great fertility drug for the vampires, who have a very hard time producing children -- the marker family is a bit of a rarity in that respect, since they have three -- so when they find out that Karin is a very special vampire who can all but guarantee children with her nosebleeds, they do in fact kidnap her and plan to bleed her dry for their own sake.]
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Did not think Karin would be number one. The whole series is still one of my favorite comedy/romance of all time. I happily own both the manga and the anime whole. Though for some reason is one of the few I own completely. I wondered how much if would cost now a days.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Karin Maaka as number one! I own the anime, but have yet to see it. Earlier this year, I bought and read through the manga series, and loved it! Should get around to checking out the anime.

I'm also happy about Yōko Shiragami being number 2. I'm going to be getting the My Monster Secret manga from Seven Seas. Enjoyed the anime, and really want to see what happens beyond it.

As for the poll, since I didn't really know any of those characters...I decided to just add Dr. Gero from Dragon Ball Z. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Blackwolf0925 wrote:
Did not think Karin would be number one. The whole series is still one of my favorite comedy/romance of all time. I happily own both the manga and the anime whole. Though for some reason is one of the few I own completely. I wondered how much if would cost now a days.

To me, if I ever watch the Karin anime, I'd go for the dub since the sub has the same voice actress at Haruna Sairenji, my least favorite To-Love-Ru character.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
About the new survey for which Doctor do you not trust to perform your surgery, why is tralfalgar law on the list!? He is the best doctor in anime when it comes to an operation.

Yeah, and the same goes for Chopper, and Dr. Tenma, and Black Jack...methinks some people missed the whole "never" part of the poll. Razz

From a skill standpoint Black Jack is one of the best on the list, but maybe the person who nominated him was thinking with their wallet. He charges insanely high prices, and since he's an unlicensed "back alley" doctor you'd never get your insurance to cover any of the cost.

As for me, I voted for Kabuto. Not that I doubt his skills, I'd just be too afraid of waking up with a second head or a piece of Orochimaru inside me or something.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I know they're supposed to be vampires that you wouldn't mind letting in through the window at 3am (hence not the vicious blood sucking type) but I would still let Alucard in if he was knocking... If not I'd be saying goodbye to my window altogether...
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Blackwolf0925 wrote:

Having bought both the 14 volumes of manga and the anime this year...the manga wasn't too expensive. I paid about 17-18AUD per volume, which is relatively normal for me.

As for the anime, I managed to grab the whole thing for about $30AUD. Which is relatively cheap.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
About the new survey for which Doctor do you not trust to perform your surgery, why is tralfalgar law on the list!? He is the best doctor in anime when it comes to an operation.

Yeah if you don't mind having your mind in someone else's body or having an animal's limbs replace your own damaged or useless ones Rolling Eyes
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
@Ali07

Concerning the Karin series. Tokyo Pop, in addition to the manga published four novels under the Chibi Vampire logo.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I remember Magical? Pokahn. Good stuff. I wish it was streaming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Ali07

Concerning the Karin series. Tokyo Pop, in addition to the manga published four novels under the Chibi Vampire logo.

Really? I thought that they released 8 of the 9 novels. Still, knowing it is incomplete was the reason I never got it.

There's also a manga one-shot, but it is mostly focused on the other characters in the series, so I just went and bought the main manga series.

The novels don't, in no way that I noted, impact the manga's story.
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
Seras Victoria (Police Girl) from Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate belongs here as one of the sexy vampires on the list, she's pretty and is afraid of drinking blood and tries to keep acting human despite being a vampire... the only downside to her is she's still a virgin. And when Seras DOES kill people it's not using her vampire ability to suck blood, but her abilities as a sniper to shoot big guns and heavy artillery. But she pretty much just fights vampires in order to defend humanity, so regular humans have nothing to fear from her. Well unless they are Roman Catholics, that is, since the Hellsing Organization and the Vatican are at war with each other as well as with the Nazi vampires...

As for the poll for doctor I'd least trust, I voted for Mayuri Kurotsuchi, captain of Squad 12 in the Bleach anime and manga. He is SERIOUSLY deranged, like, a total wacko... I've seen the entire Bleach series and he is just nuts, FAR more than anyone else on that list who I recognize and who I actually saw in the anime. For instance, the meister Dr. Franken Stein from Soul Eater and Sewing Life Alchemist Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist don't even remotely compare to captain of Squad 12 Mayuri Kurotsuchi from Bleach as far as being crazy, unethical mad scientist doctors who do harmful, in fact, deadly, things to innocent victims. Shou Tucker only does such a thing twice, once to his wife, who dies, and once to combine his daughter with his dog, a chimera that is then murdered by Scar (not by Shou Tucker). Dr. Franken Stein from Soul Eater's patients all get better and he saves several characters' lives with his medical abilities, and the worst thing he does is one occasion where he ALMOST dissects an endangered species but then is interrupted before it happens. Mayuri Kurotsuchi, on the other hand, turns several his own loyal squad members into living bombs against their will resulting in their deaths, among one of MANY atrocities he has committed. In fact Mayuri Kurotsuchi was once confined to the most notorious prison in Soul Society, the Maggot's Nest, where he was kept under the tightest security since he was considered the most dangerous, criminally insane inmate. Sometimes in Bleach it seems like maybe it was a bad idea to let him out of there... even if occasionally Mayuri Kurotsuchi does do good things like make the fake Karakura Town exact 1:1 size replica to keep the real one and its human inhabitants safe from Sosuke Aizen and the Arrancar.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
On the subject of Chibi Vampire/Karin:
Ali07 wrote:
I thought that they released 8 of the 9 novels.

Correct. Tokyopop published 8 novels. I have all of them.

Quote:
Still, knowing it is incomplete was the reason I never got it.

Well, they are novels. each one is a complete independent story.

Quote:
There's also a manga one-shot, but it is mostly focused on the other characters in the series,

That would be "Airmail."
There is also "Chibi Vampire Bites," which is a guidebook with character bios and background information.

As for the article, I definitely agree with having Karin Maaka at the top of the list of vampires that do not suck. Of the vampires that I am familiar with she is the nicest and the one that I would feel most comfortable with. What she does is the opposite of sucking, figuratively and literally.
I really need to watch Karin, and read Chibi Vampire, again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget that vampire from Phantom Quest Corps. He was a tomato juice drinker and could stand sunlight using sunscreen. Bare being nailed to a cross and garlic. However he was anemic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5